New My Ford Touch is out version 3.6.2

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

Um, I hate to let you guys know, but MFT 3.6 is out now:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/software-updates-sync-myford-touch

@FordTrucks on Twitter made the announcement today:

https://twitter.com/FordTrucks/status/364416520580915200

From what I know about it: You need to already have 3.5.1 on your vehicle (or it will really mess it up).

Well look at that, Sync says I have an update available.

If you are brave: Download the update to a flash drive, plug it into your car, with it plugged in turn it on and wait for about 30-45 minutes. I did the update, and so far its been running just great.

Here is what is included (From the Sync My Ride website):
What’s included in this update?
DA5T-14D544-BD Gen2 - V3.6.2
The latest SYNC® update includes all of the improvements from previous updates, plus additional benefits, such as:
Information display on the homescreen for HD, Sirius (if equipped), and FM radio sources
Simplified graphics and improved usability
Enhanced voice destination entry for SD Card Navigation (if equipped)
Improved Navigation vehicle positioning (if equipped)
Rear view camera guidelines set to ON by default (if equipped)
Updated SYNC/device compatibility information
The installation of this update will take up to 30 minutes to complete. Be sure to keep your engine running, not in accessory mode, throughout the entire installation process. Turning off your vehicle during the update installation will disrupt the process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you begin the installation process, you may drive your vehicle while the update is downloading to your SYNC system. If your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Access with Push Button Start feature, you will need to temporarily disable the Automatic Engine Idle Shutdown (AEIS) component before beginning the installation in order to prevent your vehicle from timing out and shutting off the engine before the software update is complete. To disable this feature, use your steering wheel controls to navigate to the Settings menu on your left-hand Instrument Cluster LCD display. From there, select Vehicle >Auto Engine Off >Off. (If you do not see this setting, there is no need to make any changes before starting the update.) Alternatively, after initiating the installation, you may drive the vehicle during the update process to avoid the engine shutting off. The AEIS will automatically reset to "On" the next time you start your vehicle.
Please note: During the update installation, SYNC will temporarily appear to not recognize your mobile phone or media device. This is normal.
When your system has been successfully updated, SYNC will display a notification saying, "Installation complete."

Just installed about an hour ago. I'll drive the car tonight and see how it goes. First thing I noticed is touching the entire quadrant on the home screen will take you to the area not just touching the little line. Didn't really get used to 3.5 yet so hope this helps.

The update to 3.5.1 definitely caused SSN for some people--but I think that update (which had to be done at the dealer) was more than a Sync update. Many people reported other parts being flashed/replaced as part of that update.

The update from 3.5.1 to 3.6.2 is Sync only--the main display and is user updateable. This one should be minimal impact--although I think there are only two people here who have done it (myself being one of them). So far I haven't had an issue and have been running it longer than two days.

jmueller065 said:
The update to 3.5.1 definitely caused SSN for some people--but I think that update (which had to be done at the dealer) was more than a Sync update.
My 3.5.1 update definitely involved updating other components (via the OBDII interface) including the power control unit and engine control unit.

jmueller065 said:
The update from 3.5.1 to 3.6.2 is Sync only--the main display and is user updateable. This one should be minimal impact--although I think there are only two people here who have done it (myself being one of them).
I did the update last night and it was painless, although it did take quite some time. This was typical Microsoft update stuff, lots of reboots required, lots of long delays. So far it seems fine although admittedly I barely use the info-tainment system in my commute.

I did note that the update took about half an hour and consumed 4% of my HV battery. I'm really surprised by that kind of energy consumption (~0.75kWh) with the car sitting idle.

Also, it seemed to reset my "miles from regen" counter as with the last update.

WP

WindPowered said:
te took about half an hour and consumed 4% of my HV battery. I'm really surprised by that kind of energy consumption (~0.75kWh) with the car sitting idle.

That doesn't seem right. Did you have the A/C on?

Parzival said:
WindPowered said:
update took about half an hour and consumed 4% of my HV battery. I'm really surprised by that kind of energy consumption (~0.75kWh) with the car sitting idle.

Nope. Climate system was off entirely. I did have the door open in an effort to make sure the car stayed "awake" during the update, so both interior overhead lights were on the entire time. I'd imagine they draw about 10watts each, max. Nowhere near what I saw consumed, so that doesn't explain it.

WP

WindPowered said:
Parzival said:
WindPowered said:
update took about half an hour and consumed 4% of my HV battery. I'm really surprised by that kind of energy consumption (~0.75kWh) with the car sitting idle.

Nope. Climate system was off entirely. I did have the door open in an effort to make sure the car stayed "awake" during the update, so both interior overhead lights were on the entire time. I'd imagine they draw about 10watts each, max. Nowhere near what I saw consumed, so that doesn't explain it.

WP
Just curious... by what means did you determine 4% of your battery was consumed? If it was by looking at the MFT screen's displays, is it possible the software update changed the way the percent remaining is computed/displayed, and all you saw was that difference? (Still something to be perplexed about, though.)

Here is a list of improvements that provides a bit more information: (Below, I have put in some of my experiences as well.)

The new software update for SYNC with MyFord Touch systems includes all the improvements from previous updates, plus additional benefits, such as:
- Improved system performance
- Improved Home Screen
- Increased Touch Zones on Home Screen
- Improved screen interactions while using voice
- Updated support for phones and media players
- Improvements to System Installation
- Quicker install - < 30 minutes
- Persistence of Navigation Favorites during installation

Please note, after the software upgrade is complete, the clock may be one hour off due to Daylight Savings Time. Please set the clock to the proper time manually.

The installation of this update will take up to 30 minutes to complete. Be sure to keep your engine running, not in accessory mode, throughout the entire installation process. Turning off your vehicle during the update installation will disrupt the process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you begin the installation process, you may drive your vehicle while the update is downloading to your SYNC system.

Download the update from here: https://support.ford.com/tools/account/sync-software You will have to sign in to MFT before you can get to this screen.

A few notes from personal experience in performing the update:
1) You may leave the FFE plugged in during the process. If you want to drive around, you can do this, but you CANNOT turn off the car for around 30 minutes!
2) Before you start the car, plug in the USB drive.
3) Make sure you start your car in the normal way. (Press the brake pedal while pushing the "Start" button.) A warning will display that you need to unplug before you can start the car. Ignore this.
4) The download will begin automatically. There is no need to do anything.
5) If your FFE rejects the USB, don't be surprised. (The screen will say something like, "This USB is not readable. Please remove.") The MFT is well-known for rejecting USB devices. You will need to find another that works. Sorry.
6) The Sync screen will update and restart many times. This is just like a Windows machine that keeps restarting and downloading. Duh, it's Microsoft.
7) You can open the doors and even drive the FFE, so long as you don't turn it off. I did turn off the A/C and radio, just to conserve energy, but you don't have to do this.
8) After the update is finished, it will say, "Installation complete." You will be asked to press "Okay." Don't remove the USB until it asks you to press okay again. Just to be safe, I turned the car off before I removed the USB.
9) I had to add my phone(s) back after the update.
10) Once you remove your USB drive from the FFE, you need to bring it back and plug it into your computer. Then, continue with the website confirmation process.

Please note: During the update installation, SYNC will temporarily appear to not recognize your mobile phone or media device. This is normal.
When your system has been successfully updated, SYNC will display a notification saying, "Installation complete."

jmueller065 said:
The update from 3.5.1 to 3.6.2 is Sync only--the main display and is user updateable. This one should be minimal impact--although I think there are only two people here who have done it (myself being one of them).

At first glances, this statement does not appear to be true. I have been working on some specific charging/signaling issues in which 3.6.2 alters. The sync updates, especially 3.6.2, have the ability on our electric cars to alter more than just the Microsoft Sync software.

Now, my statement may be faulty. I won't know for sure until 48 hours goes by.

After 3.6.2 I've noticed that the back up camera has a color changing grid. Novel. Mildly helpful. The home screen also seems to have more info/graphics about the the four topics displayed. Those are the only things that stick out to me.

Mine had 3.6.2 from the dealer, but the dealer didn't send the "successful" update stuff to Ford. So I tried it a couple times.

1St time it said it was updating then stopped, errors and said it doesn't work with this version. (Guessing this is a try/catch for 3.5.1 vs 3.1.1 or the likes, as most 'good software' it doesn't know how to deal with it already being updated and run a second time. /sarcasm). Ok. So i pull the thumbdrive.

Reboot the car, Nav Error, invalid SD card.

Reboot again with the thumbdrive in, start updating, errors. I eject. Nav system invalid SD card again. Eject the SD reboot, stick SD in. works.

Go to Sync, find "Find my software version util" Install. Nothing. No app, no button no nothing. Go back read, yeah novel right? There is an XML in the thumbdrive, upload that to Ford, Ford says "your update was successful", and I stop playing with it.

I got a 1 page pull out of New Features in 3.5.1 in my owners manual, but not 3.6.

Oh Az Erik, you have discovered the pain and horror of the My Ford Touch websites. I went through all that a year ago when we bought our first Ford Focus with that lovely software in it. Like you, I went to the websites, saw that I needed to do an update, or check to see if I needed to do an update.

Installed that version and got nothing - exactly like you saw. I think that utility never works, as you so sadly discovered. Don't bother with that waste of time. I spent about 2 hours on the phone with somebody walking me through checking the system only to discover, I had the latest version, there was no update to do.

When it came time to do an update, everything went to plan - you have to be very patient and do something else while this thing does what it does - there are so many times when the updater looks hung. I took my thumb drive back in, found the XML file, and tried to upload it to Ford. Failed every single time. I had to call Ford to validate that the upgrade was finished.

No Az Erik, there is nothing simple, intuitive, or easy to do with My Ford Touch. Welcome to the family!

Tried doing this update myself today. Complete fail. Everything was going fine until the car shut itself off before it was done with the install. Jeez. Now it won't even turn on or drive.

hcsharp said:
Tried doing this update myself today. Complete fail. Everything was going fine until the car shut itself off before it was done with the install. Jeez. Now it won't even turn on or drive.
Did your 12V battery die?

I tried it again and after giving a few error messages which I ignored, it appeared to complete the update although it wiped out all of our settings. At least the car will drive now.

Back