Ford to Shut Down, Merge Focus Electric MyFordMobile Site

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unplugged

Ford is shutting down and merging the MyFordMobile website and mobile phone app. We are now going to be with the unwashed plug-in heathens from the hybrid ghetto. Here is the email:

Dear Focus Electric MyFord Mobile User,

This email was sent to inform you of the changes to the Focus Electric version of the MyFord Mobile website and mobile app. In order to provide the best consumer experience the Focus Electric version of MyFord Mobile will be merged with the Plug-In Hybrid version to create a single, user-friendly interface.

On Sunday, October 13th, from midnight to approximately 8 AM Eastern Time, the Focus Electric MyFord Mobile website and mobile app will be unavailable as we perform the necessary updates. During this time, any charge settings you have previously entered will function properly but will not be able to be altered via MyFord Mobile; this includes both Value Charging and GO Times features.

How will this benefit you? • By combining the infrastructure of both the Focus Electric and Plug-In Hybrid versions of MyFord Mobile it will enable Ford to make future enhancements more quickly.

How will this impact you? • You will still be able to use your existing user name and password on the new site. In the event that you have both a Focus Electric and a Plug-In Hybrid account, the Plug-In Hybrid account credentials will take precedence.
• There will be a new MyFord Mobile app available for both iPhone and Android. The existing Focus Electric app will no longer function or receive updates. You will need to delete the existing app and download the new app.
• To ensure the system is displaying the most recent vehicle and driving information, you should press the “Update” button immediately after logging into MyFord Mobile.
• Your data will be migrated from the current version to the new version.
• You will have to re-enter any Value Charge times after selecting the “Update” button.

In addition, as we streamline the user experience the following features will be affected: • The Discussion forum will become available one week later on October 20th
• Trip Planner will be available only on the mobile app
• Facebook and Twitter integration for driving achievements will be discontinued

We apologize for any inconvenience during this change as we make this change, and we wish many more all-electric miles in your future. Should you have any issues after the conversion please call the Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673. After the language prompt please select option 3 and then option 4 to be connected with the team that interacts with consumers on Ford’s In-Vehicle Technology. The hours of operation are 11:30 AM – 8:00 PM M-F and 11:30 AM – 5:00 PM Saturday (Eastern Time).

Regards,

Beth Profitt
MyFord Mobile Manager, Connected Services
Ford Motor Company

Not to put on superior airs, but there really isn't much in common with plug-in hybrids and and EVs. Sure they plug their little batteries in and take up space at charging stations, but they don't have the concerns and certainly the aspirations of a true EV driver.

This sucks.

TedMH said:
...the unwashed plug-in heathens from the hybrid ghetto.

Well said!
Boy this is a tough crowd! I agree that driving all-electric is nicer and obviously my preference, but keep in mind that most plug-in hybrid drivers burn far less fossil fuel than traditional hybrids. Sure they use more W-hr per mile, clog up charging stations, and have worse performance but they provide a stepping stone for those that need it to burn less gas.

Back to the topic, do you think we will lose any features after the merge? Will they display "miles per gallon" or some other antiquated thing?

Actually I think this is a good thing: Perhaps the website will, you know, actually work!

Think about it: There are more PHEV drivers and thus that site probably gets more love from Ford than our backwaters.

The ironic thing, isn't it just over a year ago (maybe two) that they split the two up?? (right when the first PHEV's were being delivered to customers.)

Wonder why we all didn't get that e-mail??

I'm sure Ford has thoughtfully considered all aspects of this merge before moving forward...wait a minute, what was I thinking?

hcsharp said:
Boy this is a tough crowd!

I think most if not all of us are just joking. For the record, unplugged started it. :)

I'm figuring it will be a good thing, one product is easier to maintain than two, so hopefully we'll benefit from a more robust system.

v_traveller said:
For the record, unplugged started it. :)
And yes, I will be hanging out here more often also. I was just kidding around, but I did sort of like, for once, being in the less than one percent. Now, we will have to see how the "Community" comments are segregated. I don't really care to wade through posts like, "My engine seems to lag too much when I transfer from battery power." Or, "How much do you pay for an oil change/brake job/tune-up."

It will only be better if they actually realize that we are a significant part of the users instead of a fringe minority. Although I'm pretty sure they're disabling the range rankings because we have an unfair advantage. Some poor sucker getting 100mpg will be crushed to find out the worst performing among us is getting 0 gal per mile!

I guess it didn't take! LOL
Dear MyFord Mobile User,

This email is being sent to inform you that we were unable to execute the changes of the MyFord Mobile website and mobile app that we had previously informed you would occur. We will now be making the aforementioned changes at a later date.

You may see the new version of MyFord Mobile in the app store or pushed to your phone as an update. Please do not use this version and continue to use the version you have been.

We apologize for any inconvenience as we make this change. Should you have any issues, please call the Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673. After the language prompt please select option 3 and then option 4 to be connected with the team that interacts with consumers on Ford’s In-Vehicle Technology. The hours of operation are 11:30 AM – 8:00 PM M-F and 11:30 AM – 5:00 PM Saturday (ET).

jmueller065 said:
I guess it didn't take! LOL
Dear MyFord Mobile User,

This email is being sent to inform you that we were unable to execute the changes of the MyFord Mobile website and mobile app that we had previously informed you would occur.
What Ford really meant:

"Dear Focus User (We call all customers "users" because we only design software for a living):

We really mucked this up beyond words. We know, people like "Unplugged" said they had no confidence in Ford actually making this change without serious issues. But we managed to go beyond what even the most pessimistic users would have thought possible. We managed to totally screw (and that is the nicest word we can actually use on a family forum) up something we had been working on internally for six months. (We are guessing on how long this has taken because all of us are new to Ford after the last software update debacle.)

This may not make you any more satisfied, but the entire team has been reassigned as a result of this major embarrassment. We are now working on the "Stop Safely Now" team.

Thank you for your patience.

s/Former MFM Team"

Fluke said:
I'm sure Ford has thoughtfully considered all aspects of this merge before moving forward...wait a minute, what was I thinking?

Here is my letter to the marketing manager of the Focus Electric--

Mr. D'Arcy,

I am a Focus Electric owner, and I am active on both the MyFord Mobile community forum and the private My Focus Electric discussion forum.

Focus Electric (“FFE”) owners were disappointed to discover that Ford intended to merge the FFE MyFord Mobile website and app with the hybrid owners’ MyFord Mobile (“MFM”) website and app. Although the concept may have potentially meant some improvement over the current status of Ford ignoring the FFE MFM site and app, the appearance to many is that this is just one more example of the nearly complete lack of attention paid to the Focus Electric by Ford.

The FFE is not comparable to a plug-in hybrid other than the coincidence of both vehicles having a battery and a cord. To many of us, the attempted merger of the two vehicles confirms that Ford has no intention of independently supporting an EV. It is quite clear that no one at Ford actually drives a FFE as their own vehicle. Because if this were the case, Ford would understand the deep commitment to EVs that driving the Ford Focus Electric reflects. To risk an investment in $35,000 of state-of-the-art technology despite an apparent lack of true support from Ford means that FFE owners are a very unique group.

FFE owners are aware that Ford did not design or manufacture the EV components of the FFE. And perhaps that explains the lack of advertising, the lack of support from Ford with the “Stop Safely Now” issues, the lack of knowledgeable people at the dealer level, the lack of interest in providing a dedicated FFE MFM website and app, and a myriad of other FFE issues that Ford does not have an interest in. As a brief example, I participated in the Plug In America event recently at Long Beach, California. Nearly every manufacturer of EVs was at Long Beach, the largest such event in the country. Ford had a presence. Ford brought two plug-in electrics, but no Focus Electric. The largest EV event in the country, and Ford had no support for the FFE.

I am quite aware that FFE owners barely exceed 2,000. As a segment of sales, FFE is barely a niche. You know far more than I do as to why FFE sales are so insignificant. And I hope I am preaching to the choir when I say that Ford had better embrace the EV because it is the future of automobiles. My teenage daughter will live to see every car on the road as an EV. But in the meantime, those of us who are attentive enough to embrace the future find that Ford is brought kicking and screaming into the EV of today.

You may not have the position to move Ford forward, but perhaps you can grab the ear of some executive who at least has the power to decide that the minimum Ford can do is maintain a website dedicated to the one and only EV that Ford distributes. Whatever Ford describes the FFE as, whether it be a compliance car, or an experiment, Ford should acknowledge it has some commitment to the Ford EV community. And Ford should have a commitment to the future.

Merging the FFE MFM with hybrids is another signal to everyone that Ford doesn’t appreciate the future of electric vehicles. This software failure should be seen as an opportunity to realize that making the right statement is sometimes better than saving a few dollars on website maintenance.

WattsUp said:
Chad D'Arcy will be calling me at 3 this afternoon (Pacific time) to discuss my email to him. I will report back as to what the official line is on this merger catastrophe. Maybe he will agree that Ford should change its ways and fully support the FFE, increase sales, double its technical software budget, and embark on a dealership education program. :lol: Oh, wait, I'll be talking to a marketing guy. But really, it was the only person I could find an email address to. :oops:

dcast1079 said:
Wow...you got a response!!
Here is the same info put on the Ford FFE site. (Sorry for the duplicate for those of you who belong to both sites.)

I spoke with Chad D'Arcy, Focus Electric Marketing Manager. As you can imagine, a marketing manager knows how to say things without getting into much trouble. But I was able to find out a few things about the site and app merger than helps to explain the thinking of Ford.

One thing of interest is that the initial website and app run for the Focus Electric was begun by one vendor. When the plug-in hybrids (PHV) were brought out, a new vendor was selected for the PHV website. The idea had always been to have one vendor run both the EV and PHV website and app so it was decided to move the FFE over to the PHV site and app. Of course, as noted by Ford, the idea was to be able to update the app and website simultaneously for all vehicles.

The idea was to sign on to the new website with a selection of what car you own, and then the site would be tailored to that vehicle. When I asked what was going to happen with the FFE forum, Chad wasn't prepared to answer. He said he didn't see any change because the PHV cars have no forum. He said that his guess would be that the comment section would remain exclusive to the FFE.

He had no idea when the merger would take place now that this mess occurred. Chad did say that as far as he knew, the updating would be more efficient, but there would not be any real noticeable change once the customer selected the correct car at the initial sign-in.

I also asked him about the lack of support that Ford had for the FFE. Now here is where the rather canned answers came forward. He mentioned, as many of us have read elsewhere, that Ford has a menu of plug-in cars and that the FFE was just one of three. He noted that Nissan has made a commitment to one plug-in and has no other alternatives. Ford believes that, for now, hybrids will continue to be the popular choice for those customers interested in high MPG. And plug-in hybrids will be the next choice, followed by a niche group of EVs.

I asked him about the apparent schizophrenia shown by Ford in putting one foot in the EV pool while firmly planting the other in gasland. Why would Ford decide to offer a nationwide EV and then not promote it or otherwise provide support for sales by dealers? Of course, I didn’t expect an acknowledgement that Ford was mentally deficient, but he did discuss the problems with a dealership system that had no incentive to push EVs and every desire to keep gas guzzlers as recurring customers for service work. He repeated that Ford made decisions on what priorities would be made regarding plug-ins and the FFE was just one of three. I got the definite impression that I was not going to get an actual answer for why Ford would spend the cash to establish a nationwide presence for the FFE, only to downplay its very existence. “Priorities” doesn’t really explain why Ford just didn’t go the route of GM or Toyota and just offer a two-state compliance EV.

I talked to him about the SSN issue and how some FFE owners felt that Ford was not providing enough support on the issue. Chad prefaced his response to the question with the caveat that he couldn’t talk about potential fixes until it was generally made public. Given that limit, all he could really say was that Ford engineers really are very involved in working on a solution. (I guess I didn’t expect much of a different answer.)

All in all, the conversation was interesting and somewhat informative, especially in relation to what is in store with the app and website merger. BTW, I was on the phone with Chad for more than 30 minutes, so this is just a summary of the issues that were addressed.

Back