SYNC update is available!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WindPowered said:
The good news is it's finally finished. The bad news is, it's still MyFordTouch. :)

Great! LOL

I must be in the minority since I actually like and enjoy MFT (Sure it could improve but its come a long way if you've seen it from version "1"!).

Having used the updated SYNC software for a couple of days, I've noticed a couple of things good and bad.

1. So far, my issues with USB thumb drives appear to have been corrected. The software no longer reverts to playing the first song in the first folder on the drive every time the car is started. It seems to now reliably plat drives that it would previously no longer recognize. I had quit using USB devices due to the continuing problems with the last version of the software.

2. The left hand status display has been glitchy since the update. This morning, the Wh/mi trip white "triangle" average consumption markers suddenly slid down to zero about 1 mile into my commute. The average on this screen then reset from this point and displayed for the rest of the drive. The Trip 1 meter also went to all zeros for average consupmtion and total consumption. The Trip 1 mileage did not reset and neither did the time. Trip 1 did not start tracking trip data until later when I cycled through Trip 2 and then back to Trip 1. The average consumption for the trip did not match the "triangle" average.

jmueller065 said:
I must be in the minority since I actually like and enjoy MFT (Sure it could improve but its come a long way if you've seen it from version "1"!).
For my needs as a daily commuter (and no other real driving) I can honestly live with it. My radio station sits on one channel, I don't use the navigation, and the turn signals work. :)

But if I had to actually use the features I would hate it. The machine gunned button dash, the six different ways to do the same thing (and view the same thing), the multiple control interfaces (controls on the left side steering wheel, right side steering wheel, dash dial, touch screen, etc.); it all just causes confusion and disorder.

This could be an entire new thread, but after seeing how elegant and simple the Telsa Model S interface is, I realize that legacy car companies are living in the dark ages, and will never catch up to a technology company. This is due to their heritage and their business model, and they're stuck with what they've built as a business. They've got an established list of parts and parts suppliers and they make what they can out of their "tool bin". A company that comes along fresh like Tesla simple evokes an iPad and makes the interface drop dead gorgeous and simple straight out of the gate, because they're not tied into that legacy parts supplier ecosystem.

I doubt Ford (or any other legacy car company) will get there anytime soon, but I can certainly hope. :)

WP

Fluke said:
Having used the updated SYNC software for a couple of days, I've noticed a couple of things good and bad.
In the one drive I've made so far since the update, I've noticed that the guess-o-meter (GOM) is showing a much higher number than it ever had in the time I've owned the car before the update. I saw 92 this morning, when previously I had never seen anything higher than 74 (driving the exact same route, with the same driving style).

I looked at my Wh/mile usage for the trip and it was virtually identical to previous trips, so I know the car didn't use any less energy (and therefore isn't actually more efficient). Therefore I can attribute this behaviour to one of three things:

1) Previous usage data got wiped out during the update and affected the GOM's calculations. I know this is true to a certain degree, because although my historical Wh/mile data is still intact, my "miles from regen" got reset to 0 (probably when the PCU got wiped). It's unclear how this would affect the GOM however.

2) The GOM algorithm has improved. This is surely possible, and if the GOM has a better approach for sampling historical usage and current usage to create a more realistic number, then it would explain this beahviour. My trip to work is entirely downhill, so I actually always expected to see a number this high and was somewhat surprised I never did previously.

3) The PCU update draws deeper into the battery state of charge (SoC). It's entirely possible Ford has decided they can safely tap deeper into the SoC without affecting safety, performance or longevity. More available kWh would obviously equate to a greater range.

Of course this is all speculation based on one trip, so I'll hold any conclusions until I see this behaviour repeat itself a few times to know there really is a difference. If #3 is true, then surely others will be reporting a greater range as well (after the update).

It's entirely possible that after a few trips back and forth to work it'll go back to what I was seeing previously. :)

WP

WindPowered,

I have experienced the same thing after the update. I too drive the same route everyday and see the GOM at 90-92 Miles after a full charge, where before I had not see anything higher than 80 Miles. I have had the update for over a week now and it still shows high numbers. Hopefully, it is number 3 on your list and we should all get more range now.

It would be interesting if anyone has gotten down to only a few miles remaining and see how many kWh's were used.

Thanks,

I got down to one mile remaining and kept driving around my block for at least two to three more miles and the car still said 1 mile. So I think there is a little buffer built in. I did not check the kilowatts used.

I got down to one mile remaining and kept driving around my block for at least two to three more miles and the car still said 1 mile. So I think there is a little buffer built in. I did not check the kilowatts used.
I have not done the update yet.

I had the update installed today- very happy and relieved that it went without a hitch. The contact guy actually told me the first CMAX they updated took longer as the download failed several times. But it let them learn from those mistakes, so mine only took about 2.5 hours to complete.

I didn't notice any increase in range estimate on the drive home... in fact estimate went down quite a bit b/c service guys had the A/C running a fair bit of the time. I dropped it off with 80 miles range, and picked it up with 60! Anyway, I'll see what it says tomorrow morning.
I played with MFT a fair bit, going through the screens and settings. Initial impressions:

-Kind of a bummer to have to reload quick dial numbers, home/nav faves, and re-pair phone, but I guess it didn't take too long to get everything back in. If I'm gonna have to do that with every update, it's gonna get old quick.

-The new power flow screen is a cute novelty but pretty useless since it doesn't give any more detail than the energy use bars on the driverside display.

-Ability to edit charge times and go times right in the car without myfordmobile is really nice, especially since my phone app has been refusing to log in more often lately (before the car's update). I don't usually have any trouble logging in through a computer, but being tied to a computer takes the convenience factor down.

-Public EVSE locations on the Nav are spot on, at least for my area. The details could be better- labels say "350Green" rather than "Walgreens" for instance, so finding an unfamiliar station at an intersection with parking on all corners might take some time. But compared to the old list, the new list is way more complete, and the few stations I know have been removed are no longer represented. I wish there was a way for the station list to be updated outside of MFT updates, like via Plugshare. But at least for now it's an accurate list.

-Navigation map screen is a little better. The buttons are bigger so they're easier to activate. The "range circles" are a good first attempt, but I'm guessing they aren't very accurate. We'll see with experience.

-Still no iphone text reading/sending.

-I haven't tried out applink features controlling phone's pandora etc by SYNC voice. The workaround using Siri has been ok til now but I'd like to not have to fumble for the phone's button every time.

kawter said:
** PS my regen spins when I coast and I also have a power tab on the green menu that displays where the power is going **
Then you definitely have 3.5.1

You can log into syncmyride.com to check your version.

Mine is at Galpin right now. The update failed yesterday a few times and they just told me I needed to have my PCM replaced and the part would be in on Monday.

Another thing I have observed with the updated software is a change in the way the car behaves when fully charged and still plugged in. Before, if any door or the hatch was opened in this condition the car would begin a short charging cycle. I've never bothered to see if the car draws much current during these cycles, but it definitely activates the charging circuit. This would occur each and every time any door was opened. With the software update, this still occurs with the driver and front passenger doors. However, it does not occur with the back doors or hatch.

I got the letter in the mail last week about updating to V3.5.
I have an appointment tomorrow and they're saying they might have my car for up to 3 days.
I know I'll be the first because I bought the first FFE they've sold.
they're giving me a free loaner from Enterprise but still, for something that takes hours why would they need it for up to 3 days.

Jasper7821 said:
... for something that takes hours why would they need it for up to 3 days.
You obviously haven't read this thread. You might want to do that.

In case you don't, I'll summarize for you: Low volume production car with different procedures than technicians are used to, plus touchy install software equals complications that require direct Ford corporate help, which is very limited in availability.

WP

DuncanWatson said:
My car is at the dealer now getting the update. I just got an email saying my vin was removed from myfordmobile. I hope all goes well.
djw
You should have told them to be careful with the "tick". That's the signal to start the update that apparently my dealership initially got wrong and what led to one problem after another. They said if they had gotten that right at the beginning, it wouldn't have been any problem at all.

WP

WindPowered said:
Jasper7821 said:
... for something that takes hours why would they need it for up to 3 days.
You obviously haven't read this thread. You might want to do that.

In case you don't, I'll summarize for you: Low volume production car with different procedures than technicians are used to, plus touchy install software equals complications that require direct Ford corporate help, which is very limited in availability.

WP

Thanks,
I did read the whole thread. I should have worded my statement better.
Anyways, I dropped it off this morning with the helpful tips from this thread and was called saying all went ok and to come get the car. So it did only take a few hours to do.
Hopefully everything will be ok. I was worried since I bought the first FFE they've sold and the first to come in for an update.
Picking it up after work.
Also, I didn't get a email saying my car was removed from MyFordMobile so hopefully everything stayed in memory.

Edit,
just got a call from the dealer telling me not to come get the car.
he said the "ATIM" isn't taking and they can't get it to update.
Oh Well, :(

My update didn't do so good.
They had my car for two full days and they said they tried three different computers and and couldn't get the last update.
They said they wanted to try a fourth computer and if it didn't work then they will order a APIM "accessory protocol interface module and would be installed Monday.
I know the fourth computer won't work so I took my car back until Monday.
It wiped out mysync, so I'll have to start over as if it was a new car.

Mine went better than that. They failed on the first upgrade day 1 and day 2 they installed a new APIM and everything went perfectly. I restored mysync data without problems and the new SW is running. I did have to reset my preferences for things like windshield wipers trigger the lights but I checked that before I left the lot.

Just got off the phone with Ford and they talked to the techs at corporate and the they ordered the APIM and should be in Monday so hopefully that does it.
they said there's three updates, the TCU (Telematic Control Unit) PCM (Power Control Module) and the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module.

Hey, I am new here. I just picked up my 2012 FFE today. Bought it used with 275 miles on it. It was previously titled to Ford Motor Company. I think I got a pretty good deal at just under $26K.
One of my conditions was to update the MFT. It looks like they got the MFT, but the PCM update did not take. I have the separate Power flow screen and settings screen for go times. But when I coast or brake it seems like the regen on the battery meter pulses and is not "Spinning".

What is the best way to check the which version of software/PCM that I have? And what is the latest revison of code that is give by this 3.5.1 update.
This is what the etis site gave me: 13A01 - SYNC WITH MYFORD TOUCH - APPLICATION PERFORMANCE UPGRADE

Not sure how it knows that but anyway - does anyone have the version numbers that I could compare? And how do I find the version numbers.

I just signed up with My Ford Mobile and I am waiting for it to get all setup.

Rudy

Back