SYNC update is available!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kawter said:
** PS my regen spins when I coast and I also have a power tab on the green menu that displays where the power is going **
Then you already have the new PCM software (regen graphic) and MFT 3.5.1 (power flow screen, etc.).

So I wanted to provide an update...took vehicle to SM Ford, they worked on it for 2 days as "it wouldn't take the software the 1st time"...must say they gave me a rental which was nice!

I really like the update, seems there are smoother transitions and I like the power flow screen...is it just me or has the regen breaking been improved? It feels like I am driving longer distances? Maybe the CA summer coming along....:)

Anyway as a side note, anyone have any details on the 2014 FFE yet?

jcjj said:
I think the only update I got was the Sync update, but I do see the Regen circle when just lifting off the gas pedal now. So, I wonder if I did get the PCM update included with this?

This is a part of the PCM update. I know this because I have the PCM update, but the dealer is having problems getting the main update done, so I am driving around with only one of the updates.

I've scheduled my update for this Friday with my local (non-EV) Ford dealer.

I was (still am) skeptical they can, because I went to great length discussing repairs and fixes with Ford before I bought the car, since my nearest EV certified dealer is 60 miles away. And Ford was adamant that if there were non-EV parts that needed fixing (e.g. windows, doors, seats, etc.) that any dealer will be authorized to fix it, but if it was EV specific (e.g. powertrain, batteries, etc.) that I had to go to an EV certified dealer.

So this was a gray area for me, since certainly any Focus could have MyFordTouch, but only an EV focus will have the EV enabled version, and the PCM update.

The service manager says they can do the update, so we'll see how it goes. ;-)

Anyone else in this same situation?

WP

WindPowered,

I was in the same boat, but decided not to go to the Ford dealer right down the street (non-EV certified) and took it to the dealer I bought it from about 15 miles away. Ford dealers are close here in SoCal, so not a tough decision, except got stuck in traffic in the evening on the way to pick it up, so was kind of a bummer. Then, the charging station my FFE was plugged into had a fault, so did not get any extra charge while it was there. Luckily, had enough range to get home.

WindPowered - I'm in exactly the same situation. The EV dealer I bought the car from is about 45 miles away. I'd prefer to not make the trip and go to the local dealer only 2 miles away. I was hoping to see if others were successful in getting the update by non-EV dealers. I think I'll go ahead and schedule the update locally and hope it goes ok.

I took my FFE in today and had the 3.5 update done. It took just over 2 hours for the dealership to do the update. Oh if you own a 2012 FFE they may also do a hardware update. At the dealership they checked my VIN against a list of cars that needed a part changed out on the car. But the entire list of VIN numbers were only for 2012s.

The good news is that now my phone will connect to Sync Services. (Virgin Mobile, HTC one V)

WindPowered said:
Well after day 1 of the update, no success so far, and my car is at the dealership for the weekend.

Apparently the Ford dealership technicians are trained to start the data upload immediately after the dashboard gauges do a sweep (when in programming mode). This is trigger they feed off of. Well with the FFE, you need to wait for a few seconds after that trigger, otherwise you do the whole 2 hour load and find out it didn't work. 4 times.

So after getting an undocumented error code (U2100) and finally calling and talking to the Ford engineers (while I happened to be there), the dealership now needs to figure out which of the 4 tries was the first one they did, because that's the only one they can fix the problem and start over with. Apparently it's the "in process session" that's associated with the car right now. Sounds like a great update system Ford has. :) FYI - The undocumented error code is because that's specific to the FFE, and the manuals haven't been updated yet.

In any case, once they figure out which try was the first one, and they get the timing of the loading correct, it should work according to the Ford engineer. We'll see on Monday.

WP

WindPowered said:
Well after day 1 of the update, no success so far, and my car is at the dealership for the weekend.
In any case, once they figure out which try was the first one, and they get the timing of the loading correct, it should work according to the Ford engineer. We'll see on Monday.

Well, so far no luck. The technicians located the initial session and tried to resume it (using the correct "start signal" this time), but it's failing. Apparently the TCU is programmed and updated but the PCU isn't, and the updater quits after checking the TCU. So the Ford engineers say the solution at this point is to completely erase the TCU and start from scratch, but the dealership technicians aren't authorized to do that.

So the dealership is waiting for the Ford engineers who will remotely log into the dealership laptop (connected to the car) and do the update themselves.

The fun continues. :)

EDIT: At the end of day 2 at the dealership, we're still waiting for the Ford engineers to call and do the update.

WP

I'm sure they will succeed, it's just taking longer because the tech most likely didn't do the install correctly, or for some reason the install was interrupted. It would also be wise not to have my Ford mobil app running when the install is being done. Thier could be a slight chance the app when it contacts the car may interrupt the install.

Just got the word that my car was updated without any issues - we'll see when I pick it up. I was prepared for the worst, since this was the first FFE they updated and the service adviser did not think they had ever seen another FFE period. It's lonely here in the middle...

Fluke said:
It's lonely here in the middle...
It may be lonely, but at least you have your FFE to keep you company. :)

As we near the end of day 3 in the shop, Ford has finally called the dealership and is attempting to remotely control their laptop to perform the tear tag installation (wipe and restore) on the PCU. So the good news it'll get done, the bad news is it might not be finished today.

I just hope they didn't muck anything else up while they were monkeying around with all this. These FFE's are delicate enough creatures, and I don't want to find out down the road that they loosened up a wire and caused an SSN. :-0

WP

After day 3, the dealership called and told us the "4hour" update was finally completed. When I arrived to drive my FFE home, it was completely dead, and no one had a clue what was wrong. Maybe day 4 will be better.

Henry said:
After day 3, the dealership called and told us the "4hour" update was finally completed. When I arrived to drive my FFE home, it was completely dead, and no one had a clue what was wrong. Maybe day 4 will be better.
Perhaps, after proudly upgrading it, they promptly parked it and left it in gear and/or turned on.

Others here have reported that doing these things can lead to a dead 12V battery (since the car never really turns off if left in gear, or when left on). I am convinced this is the reason why so many FFEs are found dead on dealer lots. That and perhaps customers pressing the Start button to turn the car on, and never turning it off (because, since it is totally silent, they forget, or didn't realize, they'd turned it on).

It's a shame really. It is kinda the FFE's own fault... the software could probably do a better job at protecting the 12V battery. e.g., power down if left on for too long without driving.

Thanks. I forwarded your idea to the dealership in hopes it may be a solution. When I bought the car it was almost depleted after they washed it and left it on.

I consider myself to be very fortunate given that the dealership has essentially no experience on the FFE (they are EV certified though). The update appears to have been done correctly and the car is working fine. The update did remove the car from MyFordMobile, so I have to go through the process of adding the car back in to the account and confirming 24 hours later.

WattsUp said:
It's a shame really. It is kinda the FFE's own fault... the software could probably do a better job at protecting the 12V battery. e.g., power down if left on for too long without driving.
I don't understand this either. Even the Cadillac ELR shuts itself off after about 2 hours, and it has a gas engine to recover power from. Why a vehicle that is *totally* dependent on the battery wouldn't do the same is beyond me. Bad design decision by Magna/Ford.

WP

A number of systems stay powered in the FFE when the vehicle is parked. The car should be plugged in or switched on at least every 30 days. This is to replenish the 12 volt battery. The high voltage battery will hold a charge for a much longer period of time. The 12 volt battery powers the keyless entry system, it also powers the cellar modem. Plus other systems that use the 12 volt battery.

jeffand said:
A number of systems stay powered in the FFE when the vehicle is parked. The car should be plugged in or switched on at least every 30 days. This is to replenish the 12 volt battery.
You're missing the point. Yes, the 12V battery recharges off the HV battery everytime the car is turned on. And so the 12V battery is being drained by the electronics, and the HV battery is being drained by feeding the 12V battery.

If the car simply had a timer like many other cars do, this would be a non-issue. After x hours of sitting idle (the Cadillac ELR chose 2 hours), the car would shut itself off. Problem solved. The minimal drain from the clock, cellular radio, etc. would be a non-factor, just like in a conventional ICE car.

Unfortunately Ford hasn't done this. Yet.

WP

WindPowered said:
As we near the end of day 3 in the shop, Ford has finally called the dealership and is attempting to remotely control their laptop to perform the tear tag installation (wipe and restore) on the PCU.
Well, after finally getting past the TCU and PCU updates, and more drama this morning including three more failed attempts to load the actual MFT software and having to resort to a USB load of the software (isn't that what I had hoped for in the first place!?!), the service is finally finished. 4 days for a software update is about right, isn't it?

The good news is it's finally finished. The bad news is, it's still MyFordTouch. :)

WP

Back