Battery only charging to 64mi

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennlef

Iam new to this. So go easy. I have 2012 and when it's fully charged it read 64 mi. Is that all it charges too, or should it go farther. Any help would be great

Dennlef said:
Iam new to this. So go easy. I have 2012 and when it's fully charged it read 64 mi. Is that all it charges too, or should it go farther. Any help would be great
The estimated range all depends on what your car thinks your typical rate of energy consumption is.

My FFE once estimated 50 miles fully charged. Another time, it estimated 150 miles.

What is your current average Wh/mile? (Watt-hours per mile)

The car learns based on recent history of how it was driven to compute the range. Have you recently acquired the car from a different driver? I suggest drive the car for a week or so to see the range based on your driving patterns.

Ditto to above posts. I just recently bought a 2015 used lemon FFE with only 3000 miles on it. When I got it, the first charge said 61 miles. Dude must have lived close to work & hammered it alot. I've got 40 mile round trips to work, so I drive much more conservative and stay away from interstate driving (wanna be able to make 2 round trips in a day if necessary without charging). Now after charging my guage typcially reads 110-125 miles.

Download the MyFord Mobile app and/or establish an account on the web. You'll be able to get a lot of trip data that will help you figure things out.

The article claims that the "distance to empy" (DTE) indicator in ICE cars is somehow magically more accurate than the Guess-o-meters (GOM) typically found in BEV cars.

But, why would it be? The basic problem is exactly the same.

But, whereas BEVs are trying to eek out every last electron from the battery, and start out with something like the equivalent of a three-gallon gas tank when full (e.g., the Focus, the Leaf) most DTE indicators can assume a gallon or two of "reserve" in the tank at all times.

In other words, the "margin of error" for the typical DTE indicator is often nearly the same as the entire fuel level for a GOM. No wonder the typical DTE has an easier time indicating something that always turns out to be true, almost by default.

It's not that DTE indicators are somehow more accurate, it's just that they don't have to attempt to be as precise as the typical GOM. And, in order to be precise at any given moment, the typical GOM has to constantly update its estimate.

Back