Basic Explanation for reduced capacity

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zolorin

Reduction of capacity from 23 kwh to 19.5 kwh and my brand new bought will only charge to 18.5 kwh is probably to save ford from paying out the battery warranty

here is the article

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Derating the battery capacity by 20% results in 4x increase in life and reduction of the capacity by 25% results in increase in life by 8x. and 18.5 kwh is 20% derating which means only 80% of the capacity, which means they are trying to increase number of cycles by 4x. I hope that they made them from newer technology that gets more than 500 cycles on nominal capacity (Leaf uses older batteries), which is why a lot of people in AZ are complaining that they don't hold charge after a year or two, just like cell phones. I hope that ford made the right math to not pay out on the warranty.

Keep in mind that the FFE also has a temperature control on the battery which the Leaf doesn't.

There are quite a few people on here with tens of thousands of miles on their FFE with no noticeable loss of battery (myself included approaching 15,000 miles now).

Back