New Recall - 3G modem?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I called my dealer to schedule the service they had my ESN on file from when I bought the car. I asked if they needed to see the car or any further information to order the part and they said "No we have all the details we need on file." They shouldn't need to see your car or pull numbers from the vehicle. Then again I bought my car from my dealer 4 months before the modem recall dropped.

They called me back 2 days later to say the new modem was in and when did I want to have the service performed. I dropped the car off the night before and had a call from the dealer first thing in the morning to confirm they had the car and were starting the modem exchange and by 1pm that the car was ready for pickup.

OK now for my experience. Brought my car in for the recall service about 2 weeks and after installing the new modem the dealer could not program it. So considering a faulty modem they put the old one back in and I picked up my car while they ordered a new one.

Odd thing happened. Whereas I normally never get a brake or driving score (<10% of the time), I was now getting a score every time. Initially this defect bothered me, but there is little use of those scores so I ignored it. For the two weeks that old modem was back in I got scores every time.

This week I returned to get the new modem put in. Turns out the dealer (I am the only FFE they've ever serviced) did not know how to perform the upgrade and had to call Ford to get help. First modem was probably not faulty at all. After spending a night, I had my car back.

Another odd thing happened. Not only am I still getting scores all the time, I was now getting Achievements. They starting coming in one after another from things I've done in the past. I just assumed I had met all the Achievements. Turns out they were stuck somewhere.

On another note. 3 of the 4 lights on my charging ring had gone out. The dealer also replace the ring under warranty.

For the first time since I've owned my car (little over 2 years) it is now functioning as designed.

At least Ford is treating this as a recall, Nissan is charging people $199 to upgrade:
http://insideevs.com/with-2g-shut-off-looming-nissan-offers-3g-upgrade-for-affected-leafs-for-199/

mchafs said:
mchafs said:
After 15N04 new modem install (one trip, 4 hours w/ power control software upgrade), all worked well except that Value Charge Profiles fail to sync on MFM ("Value Charge Profiles have failed to sync"). All other MFM functions work, I can query the car via MFM, etc. It has been suggested to uninstall the car from MFM and re-install. If I uninstall the car from MFM and re-install will I lose all of the trip and mileage history?
OK modem upgrade update! To restore Value Charge Sync function tried uninstalling and re-installing car in MFM. Re-install verification worked and history was retained but did not fix problem.
Ford support escalated to the engineering team who advised pulling Fuse F1 and re-installing. No change. Car very reliably reports location and status to the web app., when first parked and plugged in for example, but web queries through MFM for status update work intermittently and Value Charge Sync function never works. It seems that web queries for status update may work when car is first parked but not later. I noticed a forum post reporting that a replacement modem was going into "sleep mode" when it was not supposed to? In that case replacement fixed. Another post said that Ford support did something at their end in MFM that fixed. Another cycled Fuse F1 and that fixed. Another cycled the modem cable and that fixed (sounds similar to a power reset). Seems like a common problem without a definitive solution.

Are many experiencing this partial functionality after a 15N04 modem replacement and how was it ultimately resolved?

mchafs-- Have you had any further improvements with the value charge profile, or location recognition issue? I posted here a couple of times that I cannot get my 2016 with SYNC3 to recognize the charging locations. I have a pending case with Ford that's been open for a while now with not much luck. My 2014 FFE worked flawlessly with regards to the MFM and value charging profiles. The new car just doesn't want to recognize anything. I'm not certain about a new modem or modem issue as I have the 2016 model now. I'll check with the dealer. I took it back once for this issue and that proved useless. I've had the car since October and it sometimes recognizes a charge location, but never at home where I really need it to work. I did try deleting all of my account info from and starting completely over on MFM. That didn't work either. I have not tried the other "fixes" you listed above but will contact the dealer first and go from there. This MFM value charging issue is frustrating.

I took the car in a week or 2 ago to initiate the new modem. I waited for it since I knew they were just gathering info. 15min later, I was out. Got a call yesterday that the modem is in. Took it in and they completed the install in 90 minutes. Like Snowman, some achievements came in after the install was complete.

So far, so good.

TomJ said:
mchafs said:
mchafs said:
After 15N04 new modem install...

mchafs-- Have you had any further improvements with the value charge profile, or location recognition issue?
No update, Ford has not replied after I told them that cycling power to the TCU (modem) did not fix. I suspect that it is a SYNC2 compatibility problem with the new modems. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on v3.10 (currently have v3.8). The TCU can push car information to the web server OK and the TCU talks to the car brain (BCU?) and can get status, but will not sync charge profiles. Interestingly I took a look at the TCU and it only has a power and CAN bus connection, even though it has an IMEI number, so the RF components must be elsewhere.

Mine was done Friday. Dropped at 0900, got the call @ 1130. No problems so far, no difference in behavior.

Had my modem replaced last Tuesday. The app and website consistently report my range as 50mi, and I can't get Value Charging to work anymore (major pain). Grrr.

Also, my dealer (Serramonte Ford) is totally useless. I brought the car in for a rattle in the rear hatch, and of course they couldn't replicate it when it went to the mechanic, despite my showing it to the service guy. Had to show it to them again. This is the same dealer that couldn't figure out why my front passenger door was hard to open ("They all do that"). Took me a few minutes to determine it was the door weatherstripping that was catching on the frame weatherstripping.

I would never recommend them for service.

bb6lude said:
...... The app and website consistently report my range as 50mi, and I can't get Value Charging to work anymore (major pain). Grrr......

When my app locked up like that I deleted the app and all my Ford accounts and started over from scratch. Cleared up the locked up app, but I lost all my back data (which I really don't care that much about). Worth a try? Totally up to you.

I assume if the 15N04 FSA doesn't show up on the Ford Owner site the modem has been replaced? It was there before I bought the car. But a few days after it disappeared. Maybe it was replaced shortly before I bought it and it took a few days? Is there anyway to tell if the modem has been replaced?

I scheduled the recall with Richmond (VA) Ford for today Friday 16 Dec, this previous Monday. She said they would call me if parts didn't come in, and Tuesday morning they texted a confirmation of the appointment. I dropped the car off at 8:00 a.m. today and a shuttle driver dropped us off at various workplaces nearby.
Later I received a text with a link to follow the work being done, so clicked on it. I saw the wiring harness work, but nothing about the wireless modem. I clicked the "text reply" button and queried about the 15N04 modem work, and he didn't know anything about it but would check.
About 2 hours later, 2:30 pm, Richmond Ford called me to say the car could be picked up, that the parts had not come in, and they would call me next Tuesday to confirm the parts were in.
My buddy just dropped me off to pick up the car 8 hours later, and no work had been done because no parts were on hand, not cell modem or even the wiring harness.
Pretty PO'd of course, as she had assured me Monday she would call if there was any problem keeping the appointment.
Colossal waste of time, Richmond Ford Lincoln.

Rwbill said:
I scheduled the recall with Richmond (VA) Ford for today Friday 16 Dec, this previous Monday. She said they would call me if parts didn't come in, and Tuesday morning they texted a confirmation of the appointment. I dropped the car off at 8:00 a.m. today and a shuttle driver dropped us off at various workplaces nearby.
Later I received a text with a link to follow the work being done, so clicked on it. I saw the wiring harness work, but nothing about the wireless modem. I clicked the "text reply" button and queried about the 15N04 modem work, and he didn't know anything about it but would check.
About 2 hours later, 2:30 pm, Richmond Ford called me to say the car could be picked up, that the parts had not come in, and they would call me next Tuesday to confirm the parts were in.
My buddy just dropped me off to pick up the car 8 hours later, and no work had been done because no parts were on hand, not cell modem or even the wiring harness.
Pretty PO'd of course, as she had assured me Monday she would call if there was any problem keeping the appointment.
Colossal waste of time, Richmond Ford Lincoln.

Same thing is happening to me at Courtesy Ford in Sanford Fl.
I asked for the part to be ordered, a month ago, called 2 weeks later to see if it was in, yes we have your part. took it in last night, and today at 4pm they have not started on it, or what ever excuse they can come up with. Got the car back today, all is good, happy I did not have to wait longer.

Well it seems like modems must be in very short supply. I dropped my car off Tuesday the 27th for the modem recall as well as the battery and wiring harness FSAs. As of this afternoon, they still haven't managed to get the TCU (as they call it), hoping for tomorrow. At least they put me up in a 2016 Fusion so I have wheels. Still, I'd like my FFE back!

It's Jan 1st, 2017 and my 2G modem still works with MFM! Turn the car in tomorrow for the recall/upgrade. Keeping my fingers crossed!

My new modem works, but coincidentally on January 1st I stopped getting text messages when the car gets fully charged. Who knows if it is related.

I still have yet to take my FFE in for a new modem.

My car was still updating over MFM yesterday (Jan 1), but appears to have stopped working today (Jan 2).

Yeah, I just remembered I updated MFM as well. That's probably why it stopped giving updates. Programmers had to break one thing to fix another.

Back