New Recall - 3G modem?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dealer said I needed to drop the car off to assess which modem it needed, then drop it off again later when the modem arrived. I took it in for the first appointment and the service rep filled out all the drop off paperwork, then said I didn't have to drop off the car, he'd order the part, and call me when it came in.

My guess? A scam involving Ford corporate paying for recall visits, and that just qualified as one despite zero labor hours being applied. But I'm a cynic.

kalel14 said:
The dealer said I needed to drop the car off to assess which modem it needed, then drop it off again later when the modem arrived. I took it in for the first appointment and the service rep filled out all the drop off paperwork, then said I didn't have to drop off the car, he'd order the part, and call me when it came in.

My guess? A scam involving Ford corporate paying for recall visits, and that just qualified as one despite zero labor hours being applied. But I'm a cynic.
1. Service rep. may be doing himself a favor, at practically no cost to you. If you Did leave the car there, he would have to store it (and worry about hitting it etc.) and give you a loaner car (as my dealer is about to do later this week). This way, you can enjoy your own car rather than another.

2. Did he look into the car long enough to read info. on your modem?
If so, fine. If not, then there is something screwy: I was told they have to get data off my existing modem before can order the new one.

(Cynicism is appropriate now though, at least regarding national elections.)

When I drove into the dealer's service lane to successfully start my modem recall process, all he really needed was my VIN and contact info.

Took mine in Fri night, after waiting a while for the part to come in.

1 minute before they close on Sat, I get a call saying they can't program it, and they're going to have to call Ford. They wanted me to come pick up the car, and then bring it back this week. Told them I was quite happy with the loaner (C-Max Energi) and that I'd get my car when they were done.

We'll see how it goes.

When I called my ford dealer they stated they had all the information they needed to order the part and that they would call me when the part came in. 3 days later I got a call to schedule my appointment for service. I'll be dropping off my car Wed before Thanksgiving and picking it up on Sat after. Dealership said it should take no more than 1/2 a day. After my service I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Was called late Monday to say the car was ready. Picked it up after work on Tuesday. On the way back to the car (after work) on Wed, I hit the remote start on my watch and crossed my fingers.

IT STARTED! For the first time (in that parking location) in over a year!!!

So, looks like this winter (unlike last winter) I won't have to come back to a cold car.

Only took a year of griping, calling Ford, attempting (and failing) to get the dealer to do anything, etc.

scottt said:
...On the way back to the car (after work) on Wed, I hit the remote start on my watch and crossed my fingers.

IT STARTED! For the first time (in that parking location) in over a year!!

Nice :)

ANy idea is this is now 3G or what cell standard?

Have been locked up so many times in the last few weeks with the existing link...even had to get Ford service send a truck to unlock the door.

So I really think 2G will be gone quickly.

fbitz777 said:
Have been locked up so many times in the last few weeks with the existing link...even had to get Ford service send a truck to unlock the door.
Can you use the backup mechanical key hidden inside the FOB to open the driver side car door?

NightHawk said:
fbitz777 said:
Can you use the backup mechanical key hidden inside the FOB to open the driver side car door?
probably

my issue is that I ALWAYS leave the FOB inside the car (99% of the time I do not need to lock the car where I am)
On rare occasions when I need to lock I use the phone app to lock/unlock

hence when service is down I am out of luck...could always get a ride and get the second FOB

Recall for modem work (15N04) done quickly enough, no problem seen since. Took about 5 hours, drop-off to call "come get it." Link from home computer still works fine; no difference noted from old, so far.

fbitz777 said:
NightHawk said:
fbitz777 said:
probably

my issue is that I ALWAYS leave the FOB inside the car (99% of the time I do not need to lock the car where I am)
On rare occasions when I need to lock I use the phone app to lock/unlock

hence when service is down I am out of luck...could always get a ride and get the second FOB

Last time I tried I couldn't lock the car with the fob inside.

Wow. 6 pages deep now.

Wanted to chime in and say my service advisor asked me over the phone if I knew how to get the ESN from the car.
She said as far as she knows that's all they need to order the part.

If anyone is being asked to go in twice, perhaps you can just give them you ESN and save a trip?

I think it was "i" button on the bottom of the Sync screen > Travel Link > Subscription Info > ESN.

My dealer said they show no parts availability until January. I asked they open an inquiry with Ford to ask what we do next.

They should have charged $$ for the 3G modem upgrade. In fact, offered a 4g modem upgrade with full-time internet access for a monthly fee. Pain in the you know what to tether the phone to the car. Contract with one of the cell providers.

Dealer ordered and received parts in 2-4 days. Service completed in half a day. Got regular status emails from My Ford Mobile as soon as the modem was replaced. Had been quiet from My Ford Mobile and no trip history since August.

Very smooth with minimal time for car at dealer.

Back