New Recall - 3G modem?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
campfamily said:
moparmarc said:
I got the paper notice in the mail today, along with a brochure touting the wonders of the mobile app.

Me too. Now got to find the time to take it in.

+1 for me. Got the paper notice yesterday.

Damn part has been on order for over a week, and when I called the dealer yesterday they said there was a fire at some Ford place in Detroit and the parts status was down.

ARUG!

scott said:
Damn part has been on order for over a week, and when I called the dealer yesterday they said their was a fire at some Ford place in Detroit and the parts status was down.
LOL "some Ford place"

It was Ford's World Headquarters that had the transformer fire!

Call again today, they are open: http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2016/11/01/ford-hq-reopens-after-fire/93103652/

I got the notice in the mail yesterday (10/31). Called my local dealer that I hate to schedule and was told to call back tomorrow when "the lady that knows how to put appointments into the computer" is there. :roll:

I'll update if/when this gets scheduled and completed. Crossing my fingers for a much faster connection with the app!

EMP40 said:
Dealer replaced mine on Saturday, working fine so far

Any idea what they had to take apart to get to it? Is it buried somewhere in the dash?

Thx!

Robert123 said:
Sounds like I need to call a different dealer then. Thanks for the update.
You aren't the only one. When I called my dealer the service dept said, unless you are currently having issues we will not schedule this because it it not a safety recall, just a Customer Satisfaction Program issue. Guess what asshat? I'm no longer satisfied with your sorry dealership.

twscrap said:
Robert123 said:
Sounds like I need to call a different dealer then. Thanks for the update.
You aren't the only one. When I called my dealer the service dept said, unless you are currently having issues we will not schedule this because it it not a safety recall, just a Customer Satisfaction Program issue. Guess what asshat? I'm no longer satisfied with your sorry dealership.

New dealership ordered the modem and appears to have come through. It's near where I work so that's best anyway. They offer shuttle service "free" of charge. I'm scheduled to head in Monday. Fingers Crossed.

Call to local Ford service place today led to appointment, + word that need the car for TWO DAYS, as must see my [radio?] to get numbers from it, before can order the parts.
Make sense to you?? (At least he said would give me a free loaner while they have my car.)

I called to schedule mine and I told them I wanted to schedule it far enough in the future so they could order the new modem and have it on site so it was ready when I dropped off the car. They said they couldn't order the parts ahead of time. They have to look at the car first. I cant imagine there are multiple new part numbers depending on what particular old 2G modem your car has. I'm guessing it's ford not allowing the dealers to order the replacement parts until the dealer supplies them with the part/serial number from the old unit. Anyone know where the modem is? I half though of yanking it out and dropping it off at the dealer.

My FFE is being returned in 3 weeks, so they can deal with it.
But, I have my C-Max Energi for another two years. I made a service appointment three weeks out, with the Field Service number in the service notes.

I got a call a couple days later saying they "won't have the part" and "are just going to cancel the appointment because we won't have the part."

No re-schedule. No additional info, just they're canceling the service because this intern on the phone knows the future and apparently doesn't want to change it.

Edit:
twscrap said:
This. So much THIS. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Willing to bet the Lincoln customers didn't have to go thru all this crap.

Update the software to the latest version. I have an older version that I would prefer to keep because I know how it calculates the range, percentage of battery, and all the other little things. Last time I updated, I mis-judged how much actual battery life I had left until I was completely drained.

Dropped off my car Wed. morning. They only had it for an hour or two and I could have gotten it back but it was easier for me to leave it there and they got the new modem Thursday AM and it was ready before Lunch time.

awefulspeller said:
Update the software to the latest version. I have an older version that I would prefer to keep because I know how it calculates the range, percentage of battery, and all the other little things. Last time I updated, I mis-judged how much actual battery life I had left until I was completely drained.
The SYNC software (running in the center console) doesn't calculate any of those things.

The center console is just a glorified radio and its SYNC software is actually completely unrelated to the drive train firmware (which is the software that actually monitors the battery, manages charging, estimates range, etc.). The center console does display some of the battery and charging information, but that information is all calculated by the drive train firmware, which runs on other computer modules using other (non-SYNC) software. The SYNC software running in the center console does communicate with some of those modules, but this is merely to display their information.

As proof of all this, you can pull the fuse on the SYNC computer (the center console will be completely off and screen dark) and still drive and charge the car just fine. It is also possible to monitor all the battery, charging, and other drain train data in real-time (including the current range estimate and battery percentage) over the OBD port using an app like FORscan -- again, this all works normally even with the center console powered down and SYNC software not running.

While you can update the SYNC software yourself via USB using a download from syncmyride.com, only the dealer can update the actual drive train firmware, which is embedded in various modules throughout the car, using specialized equipment. This is because this must be done correctly, otherwise the car may malfunction. On the other hand, if you mess up a SYNC update, the worst that can happen is that the center console won't boot and you won't be able to listen to the radio, etc..

Back