MyFord Mobile v1.4 login broken; backdating to v1.3.5

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellsworth

I downloaded the MyFord Mobile | Focus Electric v1.3.5 app for iOS on September 23, 2013, two weeks before we eventually leased a 2013 Focus Electric.

After getting the Focus Electric, I had five frustrating days of not getting a second "confirmation" between the FFE and MFM (after four 24+ hour waits with NO results). Ford Support recommended some ideas, including pulling the "modem fuse" (# F1), but none of the suggestions helped. I finally got the second confirmation 24 hours after I performed an unrelated SYNC firmware upgrade from 4.29.12265 to 4.30.13171 (which may or may not have been responsible for the success).

We've been using the MFM app and desktop website almost daily to monitor charging status and set up Go Times, and while they're clunky pieces of work, they've proven useful. I noticed some time in the last few days that the "Local Rankings" feature of the iOS app - which previously displayed leaderboards by region - no longer worked. Tapping on any ranking category ("Braking Expert," "EV Stretcher," etc.) dims the display and prompts a progress pinwheel, then returns to the categories.

Doing diagnostics, I deleted the app from the phone and (I thought that I) reinstalled the app from App Store. But when I attempted to log in, the prompt "Please enter a valid username and password" appeared. I was entering the username and password from a stored record, so it wasn't a typo, and the same login worked on a desktop browser. After several frustrating attempts and a letter to MyFord Mobile Support (who I realize now is probably too busy to answer email), I was about to launch the app again, and realized that the iOS app icon had the word "HYBRID" on it, rather than the "FOCUS ELECTRIC" it had previously displayed. I realized my mistake and went back to the App Store to download the correct "Focus Electric" version, and discovered that it no longer existed. Only ONE app matches "MyFord Mobile" in the store now, and it was released on October 11, 2013. The "What's New in Version 1.4" text reads: "The Focus Electic version of MyFord Mobile merges with the Plug-In Hybrid version to create a single, user-friendly interface." We *wish*.

Fortunately, iOS users can re-install previously purchased (even free) apps from the mobile App Store. In the App Store app, tap "Updates" at the bottom-right. When the list of update candidates appears, tap "Purchased" at the top of the list. If you've deleted the app, tap the "Not on this [your iOS device]" tab at the top. In this case, I scrolled down to "MyFord Mobile | Focus Electric, Ford Motor Company, Version 1.3.5" and tapped on the icon that looks like a cloud with an down-pointing arrow. The previously-purchased app will download from Apple servers to your device.

Once I reinstalled the old v1.3.5 Focus Electric version of MFM, it logged in as expected. Local Rankings is still broken, but now I don't care. I now suspect that Ford's/Microsoft's "merging" of the databases/systems/apps is probably responsible for this failure.

While I'm complaining of problems, the average "Rate of Consumption" displayed on the MFM website is the same as displayed on the FFE's left-side display at power-off, but the mobile app displays a significantly larger number - Ford Support blamed this on probable merging issues.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here is successful in logging into their Focus Electric's MFM mobile account using the new v1.4 "merged" MyFord Mobile iOS app.

I'm running iOS 6.1.3 on an iPhone 4.

-Ellsworth

Ellsworth said:
I'd be interested to know if anyone here is successful in logging into their Focus Electric's MFM mobile account using the new v1.4 "merged" MyFord Mobile iOS app.

-Ellsworth
The newer "merged" app does not work and should have been removed from the app store by Ford. Until the merger is actually put back in place, the merged app should be avoided at all costs because you don't want to somehow update your old app and not be able to recover the original version. This happened to sippycups and there is great unhappiness in the sippycups household.

Back