Ford to Shut Down, Merge Focus Electric MyFordMobile Site

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unplugged said:
I spoke with Chad D'Arcy, Focus Electric Marketing Manager.
Curious title: Did you ask him what he does all day? Since, you know, Ford doesn't actually Market the FFE so he must have a very very light workload!

Although if you can stand it, read the comments to this article

An interesting one is this comment:
Bloggin said:
The MAP facility, that is the ONLY manufacturing facility for North America for the Focus ICE, Focus Electric, C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi is over 110% capacity now.
The ICE Focus sales are most impacted by the constraints. With the ramp up of C-Max sales in NA, Focus inventory has dropped and sales are down 15% over 2012. Which also means Ford can’t push the Focus Electric either, because they can’t really make more. But it’s available to order for anyone nationwide.
But this is expected to be resolved with Fiesta moving from it’s Mexico plant to Thailand before MY2016, and that non-tarrif Mexico plant becoming back-up production for Focus and C-Max. Allowing more capacity for the next gen Focus Electric, where by that time the demand for the EV will be greater. Similar to how Flat Rock is back up for the Hermosillo plant for current new Fusion, and could be for current new MKZ if necessary.
Which would imply Ford isn't marketing the FFE simply because it can't make anymore of them (at the expense of the ICE Focus) which would also explain why they are now making them in Europe too!

For iPhone users: A "new" version of the "old" app showed up this morning in the App store (1.3.6 I think it said dated 10/16/2013). Updating to this version removes the "Download new app" popup and seems to work.

jmueller065 said:
For iPhone users: A "new" version of the "old" app showed up this morning in the App store (1.3.6 I think it said dated 10/16/2013). Updating to this version removes the "Download new app" popup and seems to work.
Thanks - I wondered what that update was. I hate it when I have to selectively update apps (was avoiding the Focus Electric app update like the plague). So it is safe to go back in the pool, all the floaters have been removed?

WattsUp said:
Unplugged said:
Hey Unplugged, did you happen to ask what D'Arcy drives?
Will interestingly enough, he volunteered that he drives an FFE. It came up when I mentioned some esoteric feature that I can't remember. (But I imagine he pulls a different Ford out of the pool whenever he needs to go on the road.)

unplugged said:
WattsUp said:
Unplugged said:
Hey Unplugged, did you happen to ask what D'Arcy drives?
Will interestingly enough, he volunteered that he drives an FFE. It came up when I mentioned some esoteric feature that I can't remember. (But I imagine he pulls a different Ford out of the pool whenever he needs to go on the road.)
Does he suffer any of the car, MFT, and MFM issues we do?

Here we go again:
Dear Focus Electric MyFord Mobile User,

On behalf of Ford Motor Company, we want to keep you in the loop on the previously communicated maintenance for MyFord Mobile.

As we strive to merge the Focus Electric and Plug-in Hybrid versions of the MyFord Mobile App into one streamlined version for a better ongoing consumer experience, we plan to make another update to MyFord Mobile on October 29, 2013 9:00 AM EST.

Planned Benefits

The intent of the planned action on the Focus Electric version of MyFord Mobile is to allow future enhancements to be made more quickly. We recognize that Focus Electric drivers have very different needs than PHEV drivers. In fact, your all-electric functionality will remain and the app will not display any PHEV functionality. When we ultimately complete our planned action your all-electric functionality will remain.

How will this impact you?

The MyFord Mobile website and mobile app will not be functional for approximately 8 hours during the maintenance period. During this period you will see the message “Service or Network Error”.
You will still be able to use your existing user name and password on the new site. In the event that you have both a Focus Electric and a Plug-In Hybrid account, the Plug-In Hybrid account credentials will take precedence.
There will be a new MyFord Mobile app available for both iPhone and Android. The existing Focus Electric app will no longer function or receive updates. You will need to delete the existing app and download the new app after the maintenance period is complete. The new app can be downloaded via the following:

Android
iPhone

To ensure the system is displaying the most recent vehicle and driving information, you should press the “Update” button immediately after logging into MyFord Mobile.
Your data will be migrated from the current version to the new version.
You will have to re-enter any Value Charge times after selecting the “Update” button.

In addition, as we streamline the user experience the following features will be affected:

The Discussion forum will become available approximately one week later
Trip Planner will be available only on the mobile app
Facebook and Twitter integration for driving achievements will be discontinued

We apologize for any inconvenience. Should you have any issues, please call the Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673. After the language prompt please select option 3 and then option 4 to be connected with the team that interacts with consumers on Ford’s In-Vehicle Technology. The hours of operation are 11:30 AM – 8:00 PM M-F and 11:30 AM – 5:00 PM Saturday (ET).

Regards,

Beth Profitt
MyFord Mobile Manager, Connected Services
Ford Motor Company

Chad D’Arcy
Focus Electric Marketing Manager
Ford Motor Company

Hey... there are some positive signs, tho.

Some of the wording of this latest message at least suggests that Ford has been listening to some of the concerns raised here in this forum and elsewhere. Namely, that the new merged app should not somehow "degrade" into a mostly PHEV-oriented view of the world, even when managing an FFE.

Let's hope, for FFE drivers, the new app is as faithful to an EV-oriented view of the world as Ford now seems to promise.

WattsUp said:
Hey... there are some positive signs, tho.
One interesting sign is that they decided to do this on a weekday and not go for the Saturday all-nighter this time. I think they had to pay double overtime to the new crew and they didn't want to spend the money.

unplugged said:
I think they had to pay double overtime to the new crew and they didn't want to spend the money
Or they simply want everyone to be available in the event that bad things happen (instead of the light weekend crew).

jmueller065 said:
Well its on...site says "Down for maintenance" right now.
"we plan to make another update to MyFord Mobile on October 29, 2013 9:00 AM EST." "The MyFord Mobile website and mobile app will not be functional for approximately 8 hours during the maintenance period."

Let's see. At this point, 8:00 p.m. Pacific time, the site has been down for 14 hours. It looks as if Ford won't quite meet their own timetable.

Perhaps it is my web browsers, IE and Chrome, but I can't sign on to either the FFE or PHEV site. Both say they are unavailable. I mention this because I received an email at 9:20 (PDT) that said as follows:

"Dear Focus Electric MyFord Mobile User,

We wanted to let you know that we have successfully implemented the changes that we notified you of in a previous email. The Focus Electric version of MyFord Mobile has now been migrated to our new environment. Rest assured, all of the Focus Electric-specific content has been maintained. We value your commitment to purely electric vehicles."

Does anyone have website access?

You know this just makes me mad. That freaking email had nothing in it except a copy and paste of the garbage we've already heard. You know if they wanted to be really customer focused, they would have included a link to the website.

And then they would have made darn certain the apps worked and the website was up and running. Nothing works right now - nothing.

Yeah Unplugged - I start up the App on my iPhone, the butterfiles fly and the app closes. I deleted it, and reinstalled it - same thing.

From the link they sent on the iPhone app, I land on the app I've already installed.

Yeah Ford - you suck on this one big time. You'd think they would learn something from the previous nonsense and that other much bigger pile of pooh out there.

Thanks for letting me rant. Sorry about that.

OK, I'll leave my rant up, because what they did is still ridiculous, and deserves my rant.

If you are lucky and kept the Hybrid App - that one works. The tourquoise icon that says Ford Plug-In Hybrid App. Log into that one with your email address and password - set a new passcode, and you should be good to go.

The stinking link they sent in the email was to the old Focus Electric App, version 1.4.

The 1.4 MFM is what they are trying to get us all to go to. For iOS it is here https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myford-mobile/id599142823?mt=8 ...I logged in and it's working for me.

The site is up for me too. Though it's somewhat lame that http://bev.myfordmobile.com now gives a big fat 404 instead of simply forwarding to the new page.

Anyway, now that I've logged in after the update, I see my FFE has been sending me "Warning light on" notifications since 6:45pm PST today (I also received a text around 10pm, not sure why I didn't receive any others).

But... I can find no warning light on in the car, nor warnings listed in the left-hand dash display. I never received that specific notification until today... coincidence?

Also, in the Vehicle Info tab, "Battery System Health" has a red icon next to it. I don't remember that status category before. Is it new?

Anyone else seeing these weird warnings?

I ran a Vehicle Health Report... it reports nothing wrong (doesn't mention anything about the battery system). It does note that there are "Recalls & Field Service Actions":

There are recalls for your 2013 Ford Focus Electric at this time.
This Recall and Field Service Actions system tracks safety and emissions, recalls, and certain other field service actions (FSA) for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. For more information on Ford Motor Company recalls and a complete listing of other FSAs or concerns you may be having with your vehicle, please contact your dealership directly

Notice #: 13C04 SIDE MARKER LAMP REPAIR
Notice #: 13C07 RECONFIGURE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER (IPC) MODULE

A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety or emissions related concern related to a vehicle defect or other legal requirement. It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service.
Has anyone had 13C07 done?

----

Edit: Great, I can no longer view my health report right now... attempting to click the link in the "VHR ready" email I received earlier is now consistently failing with HTTP 500, as is any address at syncmyride.com.

All named charge location names forgotten. Wonderful. Anybody else have all their location names purged?

Status on main page just says "Matt's EV is unplugged". It used to give the location too, as in "Matt's EV is at Home unplugged". Anybody actually have their FFE location listed on the new site?

I can't update the charge status on the main page. It just says "Update failed. Try again later". Anyone else?

-----

Edit: Also just installed the new iPhone app... it too cannot update the charge status. Although interestingly, both the site and app load up with the current battery status and know other "current" things about the car, such as the odometer reading (to the mile).

-----

Edit #2: Updates are still failing intermittently, but sometimes they do work, so I'm assuming it's a server issue. My car location is showing up in the main status message now. Turns out, you have to first charge at the location where the car is parked and then name the location (since all previously-known locations have been conveniently purged with the update).

Back