Where is OBD-II connector (if any)

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried one of these with a PC based application but as soon as it connectrd to the car, the car SSN'd. Good thing I was in the garage. Had to reboot the car to get it to run again.

So yes, it works great, but finding a FFE specific application to read everything without pooching the car continues to elude.

Yes but the OBDLink MX is not your typical PC based Ebay or Amazon clone obd2 scanner. It gives you access to Ford's MSCAN (Medium Speed CAN).

Maybe it was the software.

Software is hard to find for electric cars, I think, maybe I'm wrong.

The only OBD scanner that I can confirm works to any extent is a version of the Scan Gauge made by Linear Logic. It's still in test and development, not generally available yet. If you would contact them, it might induce them to bring the unit on the market. Using it I can read:

HV Battery Voltage, current, temperature, state of charge, energy to empty
Tire pressures

The temperatures are very revealing. The SOC is is not the 0-100% shown on the dash (although the scanner also shows that value as well) but what I assume is the "real" SOC, ranging from approximately 90% to 8%.

Other OBD scanner may or may not work, but I haven't heard of any as yet.

michael said:
The only OBD scanner that I can confirm works to any extent is a version of the Scan Gauge made by Linear Logic. It's still in test and development, not generally available yet. If you would contact them, it might induce them to bring the unit on the market. Using it I can read:

HV Battery Voltage, current, temperature, state of charge, energy to empty
Tire pressures

The temperatures are very revealing. The SOC is is not the 0-100% shown on the dash (although the scanner also shows that value as well) but what I assume is the "real" SOC, ranging from approximately 90% to 8%.

Other OBD scanner may or may not work, but I haven't heard of any as yet.

I have a couple of ScanGuage lying around. What version of of the firmware are you using to get the readings?

Thanks,

Chan

michael said:
It was a special test version for the FFE and Energi, not a standard one.
It doesn't need to be a special test one though. You can get all those parameters as XGauge codes. LinearLogic just made a test one with those XGauge codes preprogrammed in.

Oh, perfect....so it's released now as a standard product? My understanding was they needed to make some hardware change at the connector as well but perhaps I'm mistaken on that part.

If you can program a standard one to do this, I highly recommend doing so.

WattsUp said:
It would be great if somebody could provide some specifics. Where reader to buy. How to reprogram it to work with the FFE.
You can use Torque Pro with any android device along with a Bluetooth or Wifi OBDII scanner. There's also a program called FORScan that you can download. You can use FORScan to determine the PIDs for Torque. On the C-Max Energi Forum there is a list of XGauge codes for the Energi/Hybrid. The ones that apply to EV operation should also work with the Focus Electric.

I would propose that those interested contact Linear Logic and ask about availabliity of a unit ready-to-go with the FFE. The test unit I have is 90% ready....usable but not quite polished in operation and has minor bugs.. I can't imagine not having access to the data it provides

michael said:
I would propose that those interested contact Linear Logic and ask about availabliity of a unit ready-to-go with the FFE. The test unit I have is 90% ready....usable but not quite polished in operation and has minor bugs.. I can't imagine not having access to the data it provides
Speaking of that, what data points do you like to keep on your screen? I would like kW from HVB and HVB temp all the time and would flip through options for other gauges.

My version of the software doesn't show KW, but they indicated that was a display that might be implemented. I generally show HV current, HV temp, SOC, and ETE (energy to empty). HV voltage is available, but I don't generally have it on the screen.

michael said:
My version of the software doesn't show KW, but they indicated that was a display that might be implemented. I generally show HV current, HV temp, SOC, and ETE (energy to empty). HV voltage is available, but I don't generally have it on the screen.
I wonder if there's a way to take the current & amps and create a kW display. That's what I have on my Torque app for my Android tablet for our Fusion Hybrid. I have HVB kW from the amps & volts PIDs and kW for the traction motor & the generator motor based on RPMs & torque for each motor.

michael said:
That's what they were going to do...multiply and display the result. Simple software, didn't seem like an issue for them to do it.
I wonder how it could be done now though with XGauge codes. I don't know enough about them to write it myself.

Back