The FFE is a free car!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing comes for free but the FFE is cheap to run. :D

I think the one thing that will become an issue with most of the EV's is corrosion. Especially where connectors are concerned. Salt water has a way of getting into everything during the winter and high humidity/rain in the summer time is also a serious culprit to contend with.

I'll be taking a very close look at mine (whenever it arrives)(someday...maybe) in that regard. I'm also going to have the dealer put it on a hoist so that I can take a look down under to see how naked it is to the elements. It makes sense that ford doesn't want their cars lasting forever so corrosion is likely the method they are counting on to ensure that the FFE's don't last too long.
I typically keep my vehicles about 20 years and corrosion is the biggest issue causing vehicle replacement. I'm not sure how long this electric is going to last. The battery might be the deciding factor depending on cost and the overall shape the car is in when it comes time to change it out. Chances are that EV's will have evolved and there might be something better to play with. Time will tell.

Zurc.

Zurc said:
I think the one thing that will become an issue with most of the EV's is corrosion.

You bring up an interesting point. EV's have the potential to change a lot of dynamics. We have already seen some dealers avoiding EV's due to decreased maintenance revenue. If the cars don't wear out then manufactures will have to find a way to entice us to buy new ones. The technology is likely to evolve significantly over the next 10 years and that will likely be the enticement.

BTW - I see you own a Diesel Excursion. Same here. In fact the desire to preserve my Excursion (for all the things it is great at) and not drive it into the ground with my daily commute was the reason for the FFE. Well, that and the fact that I swore my next vehicle would either be electric or diesel. Something about driving a huge truck that gets 23 mpg highway (on diesel) makes a 20 mpg sedan a hard pill to swallow.

TexaCali said:
Zurc said:
I think the one thing that will become an issue with most of the EV's is corrosion.

You bring up an interesting point. EV's have the potential to change a lot of dynamics. We have already seen some dealers avoiding EV's due to decreased maintenance revenue. If the cars don't wear out then manufactures will have to find a way to entice us to buy new ones. The technology is likely to evolve significantly over the next 10 years and that will likely be the enticement.

BTW - I see you own a Diesel Excursion. Same here. In fact the desire to preserve my Excursion (for all the things it is great at) and not drive it into the ground with my daily commute was the reason for the FFE. Well, that and the fact that I swore my next vehicle would either be electric or diesel. Something about driving a huge truck that gets 23 mpg highway (on diesel) makes a 20 mpg sedan a hard pill to swallow.
Corrosion shouldn't be any worse on an EV than on any ICE. In fact, one EV has almost no steel in it at all, so corrosion should not be an issue.

Zurc said:
It makes sense that ford doesn't want their cars lasting forever so corrosion is likely the method they are counting on to ensure that the FFE's don't last too long.Zurc.
They better forget about the California market as to corrosion. My FFE is a year old, and I could turn it over and eat off the underside. It doesn't even need dusting. Thanks to the drought, the car has seen maybe two or three days of rain.

But, as you said, the traction battery will be the deciding factor as to how long the FFE goes. But, hopefully, in ten years, the price for a replacement will be only a few thousand bucks.

Body rust is one thing but Brake lines, wire connections, and the like are much bigger issues. Ground wires for instance, typically aren't protected.

You guys in ca. are lucky. Ontario makes it a point to dump salt on the roads just so we can buy new cars and this year was particularly bad for salt.

I had the blind sense to get the Excursion oiled last fall. It turned out to be a good plan. I too am switching to the FFE since my commute is such that the truck never gets out of third gear, barely gets warmed up, has to stop for 10 lights and as a consequence gulps 22L/100Km during the cold weather. Normal average is 12 to 13.6l/100Km.

Zurc.

Back