Automobile Insurance Prices for EV's......

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guruuno

My Allstate agent gave me my new policy, $2,062 for a year for my new 2013 Focus EV!
My wives new 2013 Lexus RX450h is only $1,502 a year!
My 2004 Porsche is $1,100 for the year.
The Lexus is a $60k vehicle, the Focus a $40k car, the Porsche a $23k car.
(Full coverage policy)
The Focus is a 5 Star Crash test rating from NHTSA.

(The Ford Focus Electric received the highest possible crash-test rating from the federal government, giving Ford another reason to pitch its first all-electric production vehicle to US customers.
The Focus EV received a five-star overall score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Ford says the results were helped by an advanced design for the driver's airbag and side airbags whose vents reduce pressure on smaller passengers.)

I called Ford, nobody to comment or answer why.
I called Allstate, nobody to answer why.
I called NHTSA, they said write them.

I called Geico, they were 50% less than Allstate across the board.
I called Progrssive, they were 40% less than Allstate.

Sure, maybe switching companies, but I've also read that some insurance companies are charging more because they are.
Thoughts, ideas, comments, reasons, frustrations, stories?

I just don't get it. Makes me want to throw up (it's green.... :) )

I live in San Jose, CA and use AAA for my auto and home insurance. I've never had a major accident and drive about 12K miles per year. I previously had one car with insurance around $900 annually. I added the FFE to my policy and my total annual premium went to something like $1400 (for both cars together). I am the only driver of both cars though. Anyway, didn't seem too bad.

I too & my wife, have Zero points, accidents, top tier credit but I am floored by this issue.
I can tell you that when I lived in Los Gatos CA, my insurance was $300 or so for an old pickup truck and $600 for a brand new BMW M3, so I know it's a "NJ Thing", but sheesh, I got a total quote from our 37 year relationship with our Allstate dude for $6,100 for the 2013 RX450h, 2013 Focus EV, 2004 Boxster & 2002 Rav4, yet Geico is $2900????

I guess I'm really in Good Hands, eh?

I've used Progressive Direct for years, and recently switched to GEICO when Progressive's rates started going up. I have no claims experience with GEICO, but Progressive was really good. I lost a $3K car in a flood and they offered me $7K for it the next day. My rates were unaffected; Progressive doesn't consider comprehensive claims when calculating rates.

I've heard bad things about GEICO claims, but if you look around, you'll find bad things about most companies. GEICO does seem to have some strange policies when it comes to EV's (link).

I've never had an agent come anywhere close to beating either company on rates, even when considering multi-line discounts. I think there's a huge advantage because they don't have agents (middlemen) costing you extra. (Progressive gave me a homeowner discount even though I didn't have homeowners insurance through one of their affiliates.)

If you go with GEICO, you can qualify for their shareholder discount by just owning one share of BRK/B.

I moved from Geico around the time I purchased my FFE. I went to Hartford. I live in the OC, California. My cost is $970 per year. Only 6000 miles as recreational use, though. I checked every insurance company I could think of for rates. Hartford AARP is the lowest. (If you're over 50, you can get AARP.)

Wife and I have state farm and there was exactly no change in policy amount from the 2011 f150 we sold. Perfect driving record and the like driving 15000 miles a year and signed up for the driving monitoring program like progressive.

Farmer's Insurance told me they charge on Average about 25% higher rates for EVs. Mainly due to higher repair costs. Makes sense, but still not thrilled about it.

Back