Thought I'd share a pic of my new EVSE install.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve0512

Even though Ford hasn't built my car yet {shakes fist in air}. I didn't want to miss the December 31st deadline for the 2014 tax break for purchasing my EVSE . Since it was here and sitting in the box I thought I would install it. I added the voltage and current monitor because I was being nerdy.

H8RSvng.jpg

Nice! Do you mind sharing total costs for your EVSE including installation?

I paid $499 for the EVSE from Amazon with free shipping because I am a Prime member --> http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFVI8UG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I paid $25 for the fiberglass Hoffman Enclosure with window. The back panel was $9. The voltage/current monitor was $14.60. All came off Ebay. I am an Electrician for Ford so I did the install myself. When I made the decision that I was going to order a 2015. I knew it would be delivered in the middle of winter. So last October I trenched through my back yard to install a 3/4 inch conduit out to my garage. When the house was built back in the 50's. They ran one 12 gauge underground cable to feed the garage. I had to convince the wife that it needed to be done back in October because the ground would be frozen when my car arrived. I ran a 60 amp 240 volt service out to my garage and installed a sub-panel out there. I ran 60 amps of power to cover me for any need I would have to charge an electric vehicle in the future. The #6 AWG wire was the most expensive part of the install. Because of two trees in my backyard I had to trench around the perimeter. 175 feet in total, times four conductors, the cost added up quickly. Copper wire is very expensive. The feed out to the garage was about $500 to $600 in materials. Shhh, don't tell my wife. All in all, I will be placing an estimated value of the project at $1800 to $2000.

Nice looking setup! I went with a JuiceBox because it shows the current and calculates kWh used. I wanted to see how much power I used on a charge but every time the contactor opens and closes again on the EVSE the kWh used resets :evil: So if I use a go time or the battery TMS kicks on after the charge is complete I miss seeing how much energy was used to charge the car. I built mine as a custom kit. I've been using it for about 2 months and I still have some bugs to quash to get the thing to work right. I've mostly got it working now but the GFI circuit is a little too sensitive giving random and often false trips. Also the LCD is always on. In hindsight I should have done something like yours and called it a day. Hopefully in the next few weeks I have time to resolve the remaining problems and add a switch to turn off the LCD.

How hard is it to add the amp & volt display? I think that may be interesting to add at my parents' house with their EVSE. It is a Leviton unit that plugs into an outlet and the electrician installed an on/off switch between where the wire comes out of the conduit to the garage and where we installed the EVSE & outlet.

Thanks for sharing your costs. At some point, I'll need to wire up our garage for permanent L2 charging.

Juicebox are like the ham radio of EVSE's. Every person who has one needs to constantly tinker with it. Personally I can't afford to take those kind of chances that the unit may or may not work today. When I park my car in the garage and go to sleep at night. I need to be sure that my car will be fully charged and ready to go when I leave for work in the morning.

I made sure that I have more than enough power out to my garage so I would not get any surprises of tripped circuit breakers. My wiring is correctly sized for the application and protected in metal conduit. No wiring failures for me. I purchased a hard wired EVSE. I don't ever need to travel with it and will never forget to plug it in to the wall. Comed is very reliable. We get <1 power outages per year. I've done everything I can to minimize charging failures. Comed and Mother Nature are the weakest links in this scenario, but there is nothing I can do about them.

The voltage/current monitor is super easy to install. There is a 10mm hole down the center of the device that you pass one of the two 240V wires feeding the EVSE through. And two screw terminals that you supply 240V into. That's it. Here is the link to the device I purchased. --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/111322326897?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Steve0512 said:
JuiceBox are like the ham radio of EVSE's. Every person who has one needs to constantly tinker with it. Personally I can't afford to take those kind of chances that the unit may or may not work today. When I park my car in the garage and go to sleep at night. I need to be sure that my car will be fully charged and ready to go when I leave for work in the morning.
I'm the aberration: My JuiceBox premium came fully assembled. I hung it up, set the current, and have not tinkered with it since (this was back in June). But then I'm an aberration anyway as I won my JuiceBox.

I did look through the source code running on it (and like you was a bit disappointed that the display remains on 24/7) and recorded some of the power values it reported out during various FFE cycles (charging, preconditioning, etc.).

Back