13 Mths and 14Kmi so far, My thoughts to those considering

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithium

To Those considering a switch to EV: MY PSA;
So I leased a Focus Electric in the beginning of February 2014, 2014 model with Leather/power seat in Silver. I'm 13 months in and almost at 14K miles. I love the car, first and foremost, I'm very happy with my decision.
My observations:
This morning it was 5f in NY, Hamptons, and the car offered me 50 miles with the heat on (66-68f), under my usual driving conditions. At the peak in the summer of 2014, I saw a high range estimate of 114 miles.
This is the effective operating range of the current car across all seasons. I didn't realize this when leasing the car that the swing would be that significant. EPA sticker should be adjusted from the stated 78 miles. I know that it's an average but I think that between highway and city driving in most ICE cars the range doesn't vary as widely as this. This is important to those considering a commuting car that on the worse winter day, Northern climates, your round trip without access to charging is 50 miles!

The car is well built and has been 100% reliable for me. haters don't comment. I know, I've read your stories. My condolences to you.
The fit and finish is ok. The outside panel gaps and alignment is that of a mass market economy car. The interior has stood up well with hot and cold weather, snow and ice, sand from the beach, and a 1 year old Australian Shepherd who rides in it everyday and 2 single digit kids.

The performance of the car doesn't rival my Audi S4 Avant which it replaced. Having owned an outrageous S car sleeper rocket, I can tell you the Focus EV is a blast to drive. the 0-20mph is subdued by the traction of the low rolling resistance tires and traction control. I believe the car also doesn't give you max torque/amps/watts whatever you call it from 0-20mph or you'll just spin your tires. 20-60mph is a blast. EV torque gives you a big smile on your face as you are pressed back in your seat and zip down the road in near silence. I had the big V8 with racing exhaust on the Audi S4. I don't miss it.

The car does what I need 97% of the time of my yearly driving. I have a 2013 Passat 3.6 SEL when we go to NYC or upstate packed with Kids, Dog and luggage.
I use the car with little thought to driving style or economy and go at it like I would with any other vehicle. Only once did I drive to negative 1 1/2 miles below the range available and it was exciting to say the least. Didn't have to push it though.
Planning your trip does come in to play every once in a while and very, very, rarely has it stopped me from doing a spur of the moment thing. 240V 30amps EVSE at home is critical to the freedom to operate.

I think Fast Charging DC/DC would free up the car to 99% of my considered needs.

I'm 6'7" and I fit. Barely. Luckily it's a car I don't spend hours upon hours of continuous driving in. A nod to tall people, forget the Nissan Leaf and the Honda Fit, you won't fit. The battery in the truck has reared it's ugly head only a few times when I folded the seats down and you lose the flat floor. I can't fit in the car with the rear bench pulled up and seat backs down for the optimal fold. That's reserved to drivers of smaller stature than I. I still regularly put RC planes of 55 inch wingspans in the car.

Nod to Clipper Creek - HCS-40 is doing a great job. Figure out a cheap high AMP AC or DC fast charger and be ready for the next gen of 200+ mile cars to charge from home.

Closing statement: The car is definitely a compromise. Technically it works. It serves a niche, that if appropriate for you, you should give it serious consideration. Ford and the others did their homework on the daily use of such a car and the statistics of use and purpose hold true, for me at least.

I leased because it was a compromise. It's a great second car for my lifestyle. Some have it as primary. I think you could have it as primary 97% of the time and Enterprise-rent-a-car on the other 3% if you fit in the statistical calculation that this car is. I hope to see a 200+ mile EV, that I fit in, for when the lease is up in Feb 2017. Fingers crossed because I for one, after driving ICE for 26 years, and 1 year of EV driving am not looking back.
H

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This echoes my experience almost exactly, but I've only owned the car for a couple months and driven about 2500 miles. I chose to buy instead of own because I had the tax liability to collect the entire credit and the purchase price after credit was under $18500 with leather and the upgraded paint I wanted (and no sales tax for EV's in Washington!). I still feel like the car was an absolute steal given how well appointed it is.

Like you, I also drive it to have fun. I'm less concerned about efficiency because the car is so much fun to drive. I came from a 300 HP Northstar V8 and I can honestly say the Focus EV is way more fun to drive.

The most important point you make is the high amp charger being critical to enjoying the vehicle. DC fast charging would be nice, but we don't really have it available in the area I live. I bought the Clipper Creek 32A model and it charges around 25 miles of range per hour. My round-trip commute is about 35 miles so if I need to go home and then make another round trip to the city I work in for an evening activity, usually 30 minutes or so of charging will easily provide a "comfortable" range to get me there and back home again. The Clipper Creek charger has been bulletproof and I would highly recommend it, particularly the 25-foot cord which just makes cord management less of a hassle.

One issue with the leather is it tends to get "dye transfer" from denim fairly easily. I can probably clean it regularly, but it will be a long-term maintenance hassle. I've heard the cloth seats have their own issues with attracting dirt, so I'm not sure that's a better alternative.

If you are a prospective EV owner, keep in mind what speeds are on your typical route. EV's are significantly less efficient once you get much above 55 or 60 mph, so if you plan to commute on the interstate at 70+, you will pay a range penalty.

There was another thread yesterday about waiting for a 200 mile EV. To each their own, but I wouldn't pay another $12K for an extra 125 miles of electric range of the upcoming Bolt. This car can do everything except out of town driving and a 200 mile EV will still leave something to be desired in that arena. After driving both the Leaf and the Focus, I can't believe so many people buy the Leaf. I really think it's a lack of awareness (advertising) and local availability of the Focus EV that pushes consumers toward the Leaf. The lack of thermal battery management on the Leaf is a massive oversight that will lead to long-term dissatisfaction for Leaf owners.

Washingtonian said:
One issue with the leather is it tends to get "dye transfer" from denim fairly easily. I can probably clean it regularly, but it will be a long-term maintenance hassle. I've heard the cloth seats have their own issues with attracting dirt, so I'm not sure that's a better alternative.

Thats interesting - I haven't heard of that "dye transfer" issue with the leather seats before, can you give more details on this?
I have cloth seats on my FFE but haven't had any issues with it attracting dirt.
I sprayed the seats with a can of Scotchgard early on too.

Lithium said:
I'm 6'7" and I fit. Barely. Luckily it's a car I don't spend hours upon hours of continuous driving in. A nod to tall people, forget the Nissan Leaf and the Honda Fit, you won't fit. The battery in the truck has reared it's ugly head only a few times when I folded the seats down and you lose the flat floor. I can't fit in the car with the rear bench pulled up and seat backs down for the optimal fold. That's reserved to drivers of smaller stature than I.
I'm quite impressed that you fit at 6'7"!! I'm 6'3" and I find the Focus to be quite tight. I don't think I could handle doing a road trip in it. I'm glad to drive our Fusion Energi whenever I can without turning on the ICE because it's much larger and more comfortable.

We were able to flip up the rear bench and completely fold down the rear seats with the headrests removed when we took the FFE camping last fall. I sit with the seat back fairly upright which may have allowed for a more flat cargo floor that you experienced. We found that we could get the seats fairly flat this way.
Lithium said:
Nod to Clipper Creek - HCS-40 is doing a great job. Figure out a cheap high AMP AC or DC fast charger and be ready for the next gen of 200+ mile cars to charge from home.
I agree. We have the HCS-40 as well and it's great. No reliability issues at all. It charges both cars at their maximum rate and the cord seems very sturdy.
Lithium said:
Closing statement: The car is definitely a compromise. Technically it works. It serves a niche, that if appropriate for you, you should give it serious consideration. Ford and the others did their homework on the daily use of such a car and the statistics of use and purpose hold true, for me at least.
I for one, after driving ICE for 26 years, and 1 year of EV driving am not looking back.
I agree. I won't ever go back to driving an ICE. It's so nice to not have to buy gas and to not have to smell exhaust fumes. Every car is a compromise and I think the FFE is a great one.

Washingtonian said:
There was another thread yesterday about waiting for a 200 mile EV. To each their own, but I wouldn't pay another $12K for an extra 125 miles of electric range of the upcoming Bolt. This car can do everything except out of town driving and a 200 mile EV will still leave something to be desired in that arena.
I also wouldn't pay that much extra for another 125 miles of range. I wish there was something in the middle. Instead of a 80-mile BEV or a 200-mile BEV I'd like a 120 mile BEV (1.5 times the useable kWh of the FFE). That would cover our needs much better than the FFE. 200 miles would be nice, but 200 miles versus 120 would mean 2 extra times per year that would could avoid burning gas in the Fusion Energi. 120 miles versus 80 is probably a dozen or more times per year that we could avoid using gas by driving the FFE.

Washingtonian said:
After driving both the Leaf and the Focus, I can't believe so many people buy the Leaf. I really think it's a lack of awareness (advertising) and local availability of the Focus EV that pushes consumers toward the Leaf. The lack of thermal battery management on the Leaf is a massive oversight that will lead to long-term dissatisfaction for Leaf owners.
I agree as well. I think it is 100% due to a lack of awareness. In speaking with local Leaf owners I've found that many didn't know that the Focus Electric existed before they purchased/leased their Leaf. I haven't spoken to anyone who has compared the two and decided that the Leaf was a better car.

NightHawk said:
Thats interesting - I haven't heard of that "dye transfer" issue with the leather seats before, can you give more details on this?
I have cloth seats on my FFE but haven't had any issues with it attracting dirt.
I sprayed the seats with a can of Scotchgard early on too.
Neither have I, and I wear jeans virtually every day (and I didn't protect the seats in any way).

So I have had issue with dye transfer from my jeans. Maybe it's my tall man jeans from the Gap. My driver seat is blue with the edge of the thigh bolsters with significant blue dye transfer. I blame the seat heaters. I experienced most transfer with heat above 3. I figure it will wear off over the summer. The leather is not high quality but I prefer it over cloth due to the dog and kids. Easier to clean.
I see the bolt as an option because NYC is 160 miles round trip. I don't want to think about were to charge etc... Leave home ready and go.
Thanks for the feedback.
H

hybridbear said:
Washingtonian said:
After driving both the Leaf and the Focus, I can't believe so many people buy the Leaf. I really think it's a lack of awareness (advertising) and local availability of the Focus EV that pushes consumers toward the Leaf. The lack of thermal battery management on the Leaf is a massive oversight that will lead to long-term dissatisfaction for Leaf owners.
I agree as well. I think it is 100% due to a lack of awareness. In speaking with local Leaf owners I've found that many didn't know that the Focus Electric existed before they purchased/leased their Leaf. I haven't spoken to anyone who has compared the two and decided that the Leaf was a better car.

Me too. Each time another Leaf shows up in the parking lot I cringe. Someone once looked at my FFE and said, "How great...I didn't know Volvo made an electric car".

The fault is fully on Ford. Not only do they fail to sufficiently advertise the existence of the FFE, but the dealers steer people away from an FFE into a hybrid or Energi. Score points for Nissan...when someone comes into a Nissan dealer expressing interest in a Leaf, they try to sell him one.

I like my 2014 FFE. I've had to learn things like the car does terrible on the freeway (are there any fixes to this like dual motors, etc?) and that the Blink network is a ripoff at $.49 kw/h.

Also, after owning the car for many months now, I believe the EV would benefit most from quicker charging (like DC charging) and not so much battery capacity. I don't think there is any benefit to having a battery pack has a capacity more than a 120 miles, IF quick charging is ubiquitous.

Lastly, free charging spots may be a liability. While it's nice to charge for free (places that have a lot of chargers available are great - like at government places), it is a liability at other places like shopping centers (high demand or convenient places) or where there are only 1 or 2 chargers available. There just aren't enough free chargers available when I've had the need to charge. Places that charge a nominal fee for charging, close to the cost of charging at home, routinely have chargers available. And pretty much any Blink charger, with their thru the nose pricing, will be available. I've noticed a lot of Teslas charging at free spots. Not only do they spend a lot more time charging their larger batteries, but they do not need the charge in the first place due to their battery capacity! Charge at home Teslas!

In conclusion, fast charging would be the killer app that is currently missing from the majority of EVs/plugin hybrids.

damania said:
I like my 2014 FFE. I've had to learn things like the car does terrible on the freeway
Define "terrible". I find that if I stick to 65 mph or lower, I get somewhere around the advertised range of 76 miles. I'm quite pleased with how the FFE performs for me compared to all the research I did before purchasing. In short, I got what I expected (as a first-time EV owner).

I've also been getting a bit more than the usual range (I feel, maybe 5-10%) by keeping my tires inflated to 45 psi to decrease rolling resistance somewhat over the factory-recommended 38 psi.

If you're getting unexpectedly bad range, one key thing to do is make sure your tires are inflated at least to the proper 38 psi (and that you maintain that). When you take your car to the dealer they may do silly things like make sure all your tires are 32 psi (the recommended for the standard Focus, but NOT the FFE), so it doesn't hurt to double-check.

Try keeping your speed on the freeway to around 65 mph (if legal). Cruise control is not just a convenience, it is very helpful for achieving optimal energy usage for any steady-speed driving. If you do a lot of freeway driving, cruise control is your friend for maximizing range. Entering your destination into the navi will also give you real-time feedback in the dash displays that will help you make it to your destination with the energy you have on-board.

But, yes, if I expect to drive 70-80 mph all the time in your FFE, then you won't get anywhere near the advertised range and you might feel the car does "terribly".

damania said:
I like my 2014 FFE. I've had to learn things like the car does terrible on the freeway (are there any fixes to this like dual motors, etc?) and that the Blink network is a ripoff at $.49 kw/h.

Also, after owning the car for many months now, I believe the EV would benefit most from quicker charging (like DC charging) and not so much battery capacity. I don't think there is any benefit to having a battery pack has a capacity more than a 120 miles, IF quick charging is ubiquitous.

Lastly, free charging spots may be a liability. While it's nice to charge for free (places that have a lot of chargers available are great - like at government places), it is a liability at other places like shopping centers (high demand or convenient places) or where there are only 1 or 2 chargers available. There just aren't enough free chargers available when I've had the need to charge. Places that charge a nominal fee for charging, close to the cost of charging at home, routinely have chargers available. And pretty much any Blink charger, with their thru the nose pricing, will be available. I've noticed a lot of Teslas charging at free spots. Not only do they spend a lot more time charging their larger batteries, but they do not need the charge in the first place due to their battery capacity! Charge at home Teslas!

In conclusion, fast charging would be the killer app that is currently missing from the majority of EVs/plugin hybrids.

I agree that free charging is a liability. People who don't need a charge plug in just because they can get something for free. Public charging spots are often scarce and should be available to those who need them, not just whoever wants something free.

However, I don't agree on the quick charge issue. The same people who camp on 6 kW charging spots will camp on fast charging spots unless billed by the minute. For fast charging to work, people need to move in-and-out, like at a gas station. I would be much more comfortable with adequate range onboard, in the the battery than in any arrangement that requires dependence on public charging. But I will agree that 120 miles actual, dependable range would be a huge benefit.

49 cents/kWh is a little pricey, but not if you think of it as a convenience item to be used only when necessary to complete a trip. It's not a substitute for low rate charging at home, just a means to reach home. Expressed differently, I'd rather have power available at 49 cents than unavailable for free!

Finally, I can't agree with the observation that the FFE is terrible on the freeways. I'm getting close to 300 wH/mile even driving 70-80 most of the time.

I've also encountered a dangerous "feature". Sometimes when parking, I have not shifted into P even though I think I have. I turn off the car and get out. I look behind me and the car is rolling! I get back in and shift it into P. The car should not be able to turn off if it is not in either P or N.

Another feature that would be handy is auto lock when leaving the vicinity of the vehicle. For people that have an issue with this option, make it optional so that it can be turned on for those that want it.

I've noticed the stereo loses its sound fidelity on the freeway due to all the road noise. Once I am parked again, I can hear the full range of my music. The car could also use a subwoofer.

Lastly, I get a lot more brake noise clanking/clamping compared to Toyotas.

damania said:
I've also encountered a dangerous "feature". Sometimes when parking, I have not shifted into P even though I think I have. I turn off the car and get out. I look behind me and the car is rolling! I get back in and shift it into P. The car should not be able to turn off if it is not in either P or N.
On my 2014 FFE if I forget to put it in Park first, when I turn off the car with the main button, it makes a warning audio sound and flashes a warning message on the display "Put in Park"
So that reminds me if I forget way before I can get out of the car, plus I pull the car's emergency brake first too.

damania said:
Umm, there was a recall about this. A warning chime is supposed to sound if you do that, but it didn't in certain FFEs. Ford issued a recall to fix those cars.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM469198/RCRN-13V475-4790.pdf

Login and check your car (using the VIN) at fordowner.com to see if there are any pending recalls for it. If you think you had the warning chime recall applied already, perhaps your dealer didn't do it correctly?

For comparison, in my FFE, which had the recall applied, when I turn off the car while still in Park, and open the door to leave, the warning chime now sounds. Before the recall, the chime didn't sound.

damania said:
My capacity quickly drops from 75 miles to 50 miles when going 80mph.
That sounds completely normal. It takes a lot of energy to go that fast (in any EV). And the required energy increases exponentially relative to speed (not linearly).

In the FFE, driving at a sustained 80 mph requires about 400 Wh/mi. The useable battery capacity is about 19.5 kWh, therefore:

19.5 kWh / 400 Wh/mi = ~50 miles

So, no surprise there. Your "capacity" estimate (actually your range estimate; the battery capacity is not actually changing) is simply responding to your increased energy consumption (400 Wh/mi) and re-estimating the new range.

Compare this to driving at a sustained 65 mph, which only requires around 256 Wh/mi -- and corresponds to a range of about 76 miles. That's nearly 40% less energy than that needed sustain 80 mph, yet 80 mph is only about 10% faster than 65 mph.

This type of math will be no different in any other kind of EV... it's the physics (of aerodynamic drag, mostly) not the "quality" of the EV. The FFE is not "terrible" on the freeway, but it only has a battery large enough to maintain very high speeds for a relatively short distance.

WattsUp said:
damania said:
My capacity quickly drops from 75 miles to 50 miles when going 80mph.
That sounds completely normal. It takes a lot of energy to go that fast (in any EV). And the required energy increases exponentially relative to speed (not linearly).

In the FFE, driving at a sustained 80 mph requires about 400 Wh/mi. The useable battery capacity is about 19.5 kWh, therefore:

19.5 kWh / 400 Wh/mi = ~50 miles

So, no surprise there. Your "capacity" estimate (actually your range estimate; the battery capacity is not actually changing) is simply responding to your increased energy consumption (400 Wh/mi) and re-estimating the new range.

Compare this to driving at a sustained 65 mph, which only requires around 256 Wh/mi -- and corresponds to a range of about 76 miles. That's nearly 40% less energy than that needed sustain 80 mph, yet 80 mph is only about 10% faster than 65 mph.

This type of math will be no different in any other kind of EV... it's the physics (of aerodynamic drag, mostly) not the "quality" of the EV. The FFE is not "terrible" on the freeway, but it only has a battery large enough to maintain very high speeds for a relatively short distance.

My question is is there any way to improve efficiency at higher speeds or is all the energy going to wind and tire resistance?

damania said:
My question is is there any way to improve efficiency at higher speeds or is all the energy going to wind and tire resistance?
Unless you are also running the climate control, virtually all of the energy is going into directly propelling the car (which, yes, is mostly overcoming wind and tire resistance, with wind resistance being the overwhelming factor).

The FFE is a fairly aerodynamic car, with a drag coefficient of 0.295, which is on the low (good) side for the average car. It could be slicker. The Prius is 0.25, and the Leaf is 0.28, but the average car these days is 0.30-0.35, so the FFE is not bad at all.

So, not really, there isn't much you can do to improve efficiency at a given speed. But, the biggest things you can do to increase range (in order) are:

1) drive slower (small decreases in speed will result in proportionally larger increases in range) when possible,
2) avoid using the climate control when possible, and
3) generally maintain the car (tire pressure, cleanliness, etc.).

WattsUp said:
damania said:
Unless you are also running the climate control, virtually all of the energy is going into directly propelling the car (which, yes, is mostly overcoming wind and tire resistance, with wind resistance being the overwhelming factor).

The FFE is a fairly aerodynamic car, with a drag coefficient of 0.295, which is on the low (good) side for the average car. It could be slicker. The Prius is 0.25, and the Leaf is 0.28, but the average car these days is 0.30-0.35, so the FFE is not bad at all.

So, not really, there isn't much you can do to improve efficiency at a given speed. But, the biggest things you can do to increase range (in order) are:

1) drive slower (small decreases in speed will result in proportionally larger increases in range) when possible,
2) avoid using the climate control when possible, and
3) generally maintain the car (tire pressure, cleanliness, etc.).

I've heard from someone that's it's partially motor inefficiency.

damania said:
I've heard from someone that's it's partially motor inefficiency.
Well, no motor is perfectly efficient. Gas engines waste about 80% of the energy input as heat.

Electric motors, in general, are comparatively super-efficient. An advanced electric motor is 90% efficient or better at converting the input energy (electricity) into mechanical energy.

So, are you saying the FFE's motor is "inefficient"? Seems unlikely, the Wh/mi figures for the FFE are in line with most other EVs. I'm sure the FFE has a very efficient motor (as do most EVs, since using an inefficient one would be counter-productive with the relatively limited battery capacity of the typical EV).

Anyway, try driving a Leaf at 80 mph. You won't get much farther than 50 miles either.

Wattsup - thanks for that explanation about gas engines and 80% being lost to heat. Now I think I understand why wind resistance is not as big a deal, or makes such a dramatic change in MPG for an ICE car.

In an ICE, I've never noticed wind resistance / speed make really dramatic changes in MPG. Driving 55 or 70, seems to not make much of a difference in MPG. In an electric car, there's a great big difference.

I've spent a lot of time on the highway in the Tesla. Lots of time. Boring roads with not much to do. So I play with the energy screen and look at how many Wh/mi the car uses under different scenarios. The difference between 70 and 65 is dramatic. Drafting a truck is even more dramatic (not up close drafting like NASCAR, 4 or 5 car length drafting). A person wouldn't think that 5 MPH would make much difference, in the end it is huge. On one trip, it was the difference between running out of charge and getting to where I needed to go.

Your math about 80 MPH is absolutely right on the money. The range difference is huge compared to 70 or 65 or 55. It seems counter intuitive.

The only time I've ever seen an ICE drop gas mileage significantly was in a 2002 Buick Rendezvous with 4 people, a great big pile of luggage, and a 29 cubic foot roof rack packed full driving in the mountains. When I drove 80 - 90, I had to stop for gas more frequently. The number of stops were enough that it was faster to drive 70 and stop less. That's a way underpowered engine and a ton of wind resistance at work.

Back