ST spoiler (replica) installation:

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@studio460, So now that you’ve had this ST spoiler on for a little over a month now, do you have any indication if it is increasing your power usage (w/mile) and hence decreasing range at all, or is it all lost in the noise of the increased power use due to dropping temperatures? I know you are in LA but even LA has some seasonal temperature changes and you must be getting close to your minimum temperatures about now. Given that this spoiler is significantly more prominent than the stock FFE spoiler I’d expect it is working in the laminar flow airstream to develop more downforce and hence increasing overall vehicle drag. But is that increase in drag and the associated power increment enough to measure?

I’m wondering if I should ask to get the Ford ST spoiler put on at build time when the local dealer re-submits my FFE order!

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

This is exactly what I want to do to mine. Right now I just painted the stock spoiler black but will be getting the ST one in a few days. I also paint the stock rims and all the silver trimming and front grill black. nice work!
studio460 said:
The Torx and socket sizes are different from those described in the focusfanatics thread. I used the following tools today:

tools1.png

• Phillips screwdriver.
• Small slotted screwdriver (to release brake light wiring harness clip).
• Plastic butter knife (to pull the interior trim panel off).
• Torx #20 bit.
• 8mm socket.
• 1/2" drill bit (needed to drill hole for windshield washer hose through back of replica part).

STI3.png

STI5.png

hose1.png

You'll need about 1.25" of 3/16" (ID), windshield wiper hose, and a 90-degree 3/16" union to re-seat the windshield washer line (which is mounted on the brake light). It's just too tight to get a grip onto the factory hose. The short piece of hose and union makes it easy to re-install the third brake light.

• 90-degree, 3/16" vacuum hose union (you only need one, not two).
• 1.25" piece of 3/16" windshield wiper hose.
• Small pieces of weather-strip (x3) to cover unused holes [edit: Home Depot weather-strip is too thick to cover the body holes, preventing the part from fully seating. I re-installed the part using metal HVAC tape instead; however, I did apply the weather strip along the entire length of the spoiler along the bottom].

I'd rate this as a 7.5 in difficulty, mainly because it's hard to find foam-rubber weather stripping that's thin enough. Fitment is compromised with the weather strip that Home Depot/Pep Boys carries--it's too thick. I'll look for some correctly spec'd foam, but in the meantime, though fitment isn't perfect (yet), it's good enough to drive around for awhile.

• Original machine bolts line-up correctly and are the correct thread for the embedded nuts in the replica part.
• There are only three threaded bolts used in the factory application (these are re-used for the replica part).
• There are four self-tapping screws used in the factory application (these are re-used for the replica part).
• There are three body clips in the factory installation that cannot be used on the replica part since they're molded into the factory spoiler.
• Two factory Torx screws are re-used to secure the third brake light.
• Need thinner foam (biggest problem).
• You only need one angle-union, and about 1" of tubing.
• The third brake light looks bad-ass in a black spoiler.

STF2.png

STF1.png

Back