Recall / Field Service Action; Where to find more info?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jmueller065 said:
NightHawk said:
How long did the dealer take to do the work? Same day?
Sounded like it took one or two days. He dropped it off a week ago Monday (1/11) with some flat tires which was when the dealer informed him of the recall (same day this recall thread started). Took them at least until Thursday to get the parts and he picked it up this past Monday (1/18). I say at least until Thursday because he was calling them every day last week and the last I spoke to him was Thursday when he said they were still waiting for parts (until I talked to him Tuesday asking if he got his car back).

Thus at most it took Friday and some of Monday.

If the dealer needed to order parts, must mean that the FFE was built prior to May 2014?
Supposedly after that build date, they don't need to order parts?

Had this update done on my 2014 FFE today. Not sure how long it took as I dropped it off after hours last night, but they called at 10AM to tell me it was done. Even though they did not have to replace the harness as my build date was late 2014, they still had to order the grease required for the fix.

Have only driven it once since the fix but already noticed a change. I turned on the heat and the GOM did not immediately drop 10 or more miles which is normal. Only 1 drive so time will tell if that is a real change.

2013 Focus EV towed to dealer on 1/19/16, SSN, car died.
Dealer refused to service car because I informed them on 3 separate occasions that there was grease on dash and seats as well as chipped paint on hood (headlight wiring recall). After heated e-mail and verbal shouts, when at dealer last Tuesday, service was denied, "go somewhere else", Ford (Mother Ship) states, any dealer can do anything, tough (my summary of words).
It's been posted here in the past, just a refresher.
Anyway, car towed to another dealer for 8 days, they performed recall 15B23 and reprogrammed PCM, picked up car last night.
I asked that tires be rotated (did at 5250 miles, needed to be done), had to remind them, they forgot.
Charging door stays stuck when cold (cannot open without a heat gun), told 'door free at this time'. 3rd attempt by 3 dealers, no resolve.
Car dies when coming to intersection, 3-4 times since new, (not a SSN), told 'cannot replicate.
Lease is up in July, 3 payments left of $157.98, in the midst of Lemon Lawsuit, hopefully I will prevail.

MAKE SURE YOU RECORD ALL CONVERSATIONS WITH DEALERS AND FORD IF POSSIBLE, AS FORD RECORDS THEIR CALLS, AND AS A CONSUMER YOU SHOULD PROTECT YOURSELF. IN NJ, ONE PARTY (ME) NEEDS TO KNOW, NOT REQUIRED TO INFORM OTHER PARTY. THIS IS FOR YOUR PROTECTION. DEALERS USE WORD AS DO "CSR'S" TO MEET THEIR REQUIREMENTS, AND CAN BE MISCONSTRUED I NOT CLEARLY DOCUMENTED. BELIEVE ME, I KNOW, THIS IS MY 75TH CAR, AND ITS NOT LIKE I'VE NEVER BEFORE HAD TO DEAL WITH UNRESPONSIVE MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS.

Finally, one might think that the 10,000 mile service should have been done proactively without out me having to remind the dealer. After all, don't they get reimbursed from Ford while still under the OEM warranty? (I had to ask twice to get tires rotated)

10,000-Mile Maintenance Checks
After the checks below have been performed, touch the Complete checkbox and press OK to remove them from your maintenance list.
Rotate tires, inspect tire wear and measure tread depth
Perform multi-point inspection (recommended)
Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake
Inspect cabin air filter (if equipped)
Inspect cooling system level, strength and hoses
Inspect half-shaft boots (if equipped)
Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, driveshaft and U-joints, lubricate if equipped with grease fittings
Inspect wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag

The absolute worst experience of a lifetime I have ever had with a car and a manufacturer.

Remember, you can buy ANY car, once you have it, you have to play nice, or find another dealer.

Despite the fact that I don't have an FFE anymore I received the recall notices in the mail today for the new SSN recall. Programs 15B23 and 15N03.

15B23 is the actual recall: inspect and update if required the high-voltage harness and update the Powertrain Control Module calibration.

15N03 just extends the warranty on the harness to 8 years or 100,000 miles.

jmueller065 said:
Despite the fact that I don't have an FFE anymore I received the recall notices in the mail today for the new SSN recall. Programs 15B23 and 15N03.

15B23 is the actual recall: inspect and update if required the high-voltage harness and update the Powertrain Control Module calibration.

I received this mail too. My letter arrived Saturday. I would have expected the harness to already be covered under the 8/100 HVB components warranty...

hybridbear said:
I received this mail too. My letter arrived Saturday. I would have expected the harness to already be covered under the 8/100 HVB components warranty...
I also got my notice in the mail on Saturday.
I recall on this forum, postings over the past year or so about questions whether the harness was covered by >3year warranty, so its nice to finally see this confirmed from Ford now. I wouldn't want to buy the FFE after the 3 year lease if the harness didn't have a longer warranty...

Can anyone recommend a good knowledgeable EV dealer to have the harness worked on in the LA / OC area?

I got my notice from Ford. looks like you have until the end of the year to get it done. I'm gonna wait until it's warmer here.

I called my Ford Dealership, and got an appointment for the next day in order to do this recall.

I showed up at 10:30, drank coffee and watched TV. At 11 :30 a manager came to tell me they had to order a harness and they would call me when once it comes in. They offered me to leave the car at the dealership, and explained to me that I don't need to because the recall isn't mandatory and isn't a safety issue. I love driving my car, so I took the car home with me.

At least they have good coffee in the waiting lounge :)

Does anyone know what the new programming does to the car?

jmueller065 said:

Do these two notices apply to the 2015 model year cars?

Keith

michael said:
I got mine, plan to ignore it. The thing is OK, if it ain't broke....

I have a dealer right by my work and it gave me a rental for the day. Since I needed other things fixed this was just a way to get a rental for free while they were getting fixed. I have ford ESP premium care too which will pay for a $60 a day rental and no deductible if I really wanted one. They have to diagnose it and say its covered first though. It will circumvent my basic warranty too so ESP covers it instead of the basic warranty. Except for things ESP doesn't cover.

awefulspeller said:
I called my Ford Dealership, and got an appointment for the next day in order to do this recall.

I showed up at 10:30, drank coffee and watched TV. At 11 :30 a manager came to tell me they had to order a harness and they would call me when once it comes in. They offered me to leave the car at the dealership, and explained to me that I don't need to because the recall isn't mandatory and isn't a safety issue. I love driving my car, so I took the car home with me.

At least they have good coffee in the waiting lounge :)

Does anyone know what the new programming does to the car?

Does your FFE have a pre May 2014 build date?
Those are the ones that are supposed to have the wiring harness replaced.

campfamily said:
Keith
Probably - but the later 2014s and the 2015s only need a clean/grease the electrical contacts and update the firmware so shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

NightHawk said:
campfamily said:
Keith
Probably - but the later 2014s and the 2015s only need a clean/grease the electrical contacts and update the firmware so shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

I have not yet received any notification, other than the older recall to fix the issue with the start-stop button. I haven't had any issues with my car (knock on wood), so I'm inclined to leave well enough alone.

campfamily said:
I'm inclined to leave well enough alone.
I've noticed a few people here with this thought: Well it isn't broken (that was my thought as well before I got rid of my FFE when I had initially heard about this recall: Why should I get it done since my lease is up in a few months I'll let the next owner worry about that).

However, my coworker happened to have his at a dealer for something else when the recall was started so he had the recall done as well. He has since seen at least a 5% improvement in overall range of the car and on such a short ranged car even 5% is significant. In his case in cold weather he would arrive home at the end of the day with <10 miles remaining (his commute is 50+ miles round trip). He now says: "I no longer am limited to the back roads in cold temps--I can now use the freeway in both directions."

If I still had my FFE I would be making an appointment to get the recall performed as soon as possible.

(We were speculating this morning that perhaps this new code is part of Ford's efforts to get the FFE to 100 miles. The recall is just an opportunity to hand out the more efficient calibration to all the current FFE owners. It also means the 100 mile FFE won't need as big of a battery as initially thought if they can eek out a few more miles via software.)

jmueller065 said:
campfamily said:
I'm inclined to leave well enough alone.
However, my coworker happened to have his at a dealer for something else when the recall was started so he had the recall done as well. He has since seen at least a 5% improvement in overall range of the car and on such a short ranged car even 5% is significant. In his case in cold weather he would arrive home at the end of the day with <10 miles remaining (his commute is 50+ miles round trip). He now says: "I no longer am limited to the back roads in cold temps--I can now use the freeway in both directions."

If I still had my FFE I would be making an appointment to get the recall performed as soon as possible.

(We were speculating this morning that perhaps this new code is part of Ford's efforts to get the FFE to 100 miles. The recall is just an opportunity to hand out the more efficient calibration to all the current FFE owners. It also means the 100 mile FFE won't need as big of a battery as initially thought if they can eek out a few more miles via software.)

Which recall caused your co-worker to see improved efficiencies? The one to fix the "start-stop" issue (which, I did have done, by the way), or this new one? Reason I ask is that I have not received any notification of recall for my 2015, other than the "start-stop" recall.

Keith

campfamily said:
Which recall caused your co-worker to see improved efficiencies? The one to fix the "start-stop" issue (which, I did have done, by the way), or this new one? Reason I ask is that I have not received any notification of recall for my 2015, other than the "start-stop" recall.

Keith
This new one.

Back