Inconsistent audio on restarting

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon said:
Had the same problem. Sirius always came back on, but the radio usually dosen't. Have to activate voice command and say "Radio On".

Jon said:
Discovered this by accident. If I have the radio on when I turn off the FFE, it usually will not come on again when I start up. However, if after I start up, I activate voice command and as soon as it chimes I put it in reverse, the radio comes on. Anyone else want to verify this?

Thanks for these tips. I will try the voice command step next time I'm in the car. Half of my departures don't involve reverse (I depart my garage forward) so I'll quickly find out if that's a factor.

I'm usually listening to FM (yay HD radio), occasionally A/V input. I don't use Bluetooth (haven't ever even paired a phone). I do see the same "Audio Off" on the dash display, in front of steering wheel. Powering the sound system off and on (via the tiny hardware button) has no effect on this problem.

EDIT: I found a workaround that is good enough. Upon startup, activate voice command (steering wheel right paddle) and then say "cancel". Simply exercising the voice command software clears the audio-off problem, and the radio (or whatever audio source was active) comes on everytime! So no more fumbling with the blasted touch screen (which is a terrible user interface for a car). A simple voice command then "cancel" works! Shifting into reverse (instead of saying "cancel") also works because that has the same effect, cancelling the voice command session because they want you to pay attention to your driving :) It's just that I don't reverse out of my home parking spot, so I learned the "cancel" method.

And while I was at it, I learned the voice commands to toggle between FM radio ("radio" then "FM") and the RCA audio inputs ("line in"). And how to find out what voice commands are available ("what can I say"). Finally!

Chris, thank you for that post (back in July !).

I also was confused by the phone getting indexed and trying to play saved music via USB, so as soon as I read your post I went right out and looked for those settings.

Settings -> Media Player -> AutoPlay (Off).

That appears to prevent my phone from appearing as a USB device at all when I plug it in, which is what I want. If I want to play music or podcasts via my phone, I'll command them from the phone (while I'm stopped) and do it over Bluetooth.

The iPod Classic I keep stashed in the center console appears to still be connected over USB. I'll see if it stays that way.

Back