Impressions after 2 weeks of ownership

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campfamily

I’ve had my FFE for two weeks now, and have driven it a little less than 500 miles. I thought I’d share my thoughts on the car, mostly positive but a few minor negatives.

Overall, I’m very happy with the car. It feels very well put together, with high quality materials and excellent fit and finish. This is the first American car I’ve owned in the past 15 years or so, and it’s really amazing how far they’ve come in automobile quality. My last American car (a 2000 Dodge Durango) was nowhere near this level of quality. The “feel” of the switchgear is very nice, almost to the level of my BMW, and again, far superior to other American cars that I’ve driven recently (GM really sucks at this). The car is extremely quiet, as I had expected, with little noise other than a bit of tire roar and some minor wind noise. The driving qualities of the car are similarly excellent, although I'm a bit disappointed at the acceleration. The pickup is instantaneous, as you'd expect, but then the acceleration kind of peters out. The steering feels nice, the car tracks and steers very well, and the brakes feel good. There is a lot of space inside for passengers; I’ve had four adults (including the driver) in the car, and nobody had to amputate any body parts to fit inside. I am very impressed with Sync; I had experience with it when using it in rental cars, and I continue to like it. The way it works is very intuitive, and it doesn’t take long to figure out what to push to do what you want. One thing I don’t like about it is the propensity for the screen to show fingerprints; maybe I just have oily fingertips?? But, it is much worse than the touchscreen in my wife’s Nissan. Given that a lot of Sync functionality requires using the touchscreen, this is one of my annoyances with the car. The sound quality out of the Sony radio is very good; that was a bit of a surprise to me, I was not expecting it to be as good as it is. It links very easily to my iPhone 6, and then displays what is playing (I use Pandora) on the touchscreen.

The electric consumption for my first drives is about where I was expecting. My commute is about 55 miles round trip each day. In the morning, it is primarily highway driving with little traffic; typical speed is about 75 to 80 mph. Coming home, I am in heavy stop and go traffic for about 10 to 15 miles, the rest of the drive is about 50 to 60 mph. When I get home, I have about 30 miles remaining on the Guess-o-Meter. I installed a GE WattStation Level 2 charger at my house the weekend after I bought the car, which recharges the car in a bit over two hours. I’m averaging right about 240 Wh/mi so far. My first few charges were a bit higher than that, but that was because I was learning how to drive it, plus everybody, from my relatives to my in-laws to my neighbors, wanted to drive the car. Since I used 250 Wh/mi in my calculations for justifying buying the car, I feel I’m right where I want to be.

A few things that I think Ford could do to improve the car and the experience. First, the MyFordMobile app is horrible. About all I’ve found it’s good for is telling you when the car will finish charging, and where the car is currently located (kind of fun when my wife was using it over the weekend; how did you know I was at the mall???). The Trip and Charge Log only shows the last trip and last charge. Why doesn’t it keep a history? The Trends doesn’t really tell you anything. So, I just “achieved” reducing CO2 by the equivalent volume of a house. Whoopee. I haven’t been able to get the Trip Planner to work. The Charge Settings is very nice, allowing me to pre-condition the car before I leave in the morning, but given that I could do that from the car as well, the app isn’t really giving me anything more than what I already have. Ford could really benefit from completely revamping this app. Maybe they need to go hire some 15 year old high school students to do it for them!!! I’ve already mentioned the fingerprints on the touchscreen. I am amazed that Ford didn’t include an auto-dimming mirror and Homelink as standard equipment; they’ve put just about every other option in the car, why did they leave that one out? The tires don’t have much grip. As others have noted, it’s very easy to spin the front tires on take off, but more worrying, I had to put the brakes on pretty hard a couple of mornings ago when traffic stopped unexpectedly. I was amazed how quickly I was getting squealing from the tires. The tires never actually locked up, and I didn’t feel the ABS engage, but the tires did squeal a bit. Going around corners is about the same, it doesn’t take much to get the tires to squeal. The penalty, I guess, for low rolling resistance. And, the metal panels on the car seem to be awful thin. I noticed washing the car that it was very easy to deform certain areas with very little pressure. My father-in-law was leaning on the left front fender looking under the hood at the “motor”, and he slightly deformed the top of the fender. I know weight control is crucial for maintaining sufficient range, but I have to wonder if Ford went a bit too far in certain areas. Anybody know if this is common to all Ford Focus models, or is the metal thinner in the Electric? Another annoyance is how hard it is to fold the rear seats. First, with the front seats set for a normal six-foot tall person, the rear seat bottoms won’t fold up all of the way. So, to get the seats to fold down flat, you first have to move the front seats forward. Then to get the rear seatbacks to fold down, you have to remove the rear headrests. However, they are too big to come off when the seatbacks are upright. So, you have to fold the rear seatbacks forward partially, and while holding that with one hand, remove the rear head rests. That is nearly impossible to do with only one hand, so you end up holding the rear seatback with your shoulder, and then remove the headrest. Come on, Ford!! Poor design, in my opinion. I do have to note that this isn’t unique to the Electric version of the Focus, it is common to all versions. Once down, however, there’s a ton of space back there. My Level 2 charger in the box fit great back there when I went down to Lowe’s to pick it up. And, finally, the design of the charge port door is silly. It feels flimsy, not at all like the rest of the car, doesn’t close easily and quickly, and after the initial “hey, this is cool”, is just a royal PIA. I’d rather have a flap. I’m convinced that will be the first thing to break on my car.

As far as storage space in the car, I know many people have commented about the amount of room taken up by the batteries in the storage compartment. I’ve found that the useability of the remaining storage area is much better if you remove the storage bin (my son calls it the coffin!!) that Ford puts back there. With the bin in place, my backpack / laptop bag wouldn’t fit back there, unless I balanced it on the top of the battery compartment. Without the bin, I can fit all kinds of things in that area, including a car cover. My storage bin is taking up room in my garage right now; if anybody is interested in having a 2nd one, or if for some reason their car didn’t come with one, give me a holler; for a 6 pack of good stuff, I’d let you have it. I did find something out kind of cool that isn’t mentioned in the owner’s manual and I didn’t know about. If you lift up the lid, then pull the handle back towards the rear of the car, a couple of “legs” pop out of the lid, which then makes the lid horizontal when it is closed, at the same height of the battery compartment. Cool if you want to have a completely flat area behind the rear seat.

So, bottom line, would I do it again? Resoundingly yes. The car is rather a kick to drive, particularly in a “point and shoot” situation; response is instantaneous. As I mentioned before, I wish it had a bit more acceleration, but it certainly is acceptable for most conditions. And, I’m sure I will like it even more once my carpool stickers arrive and I can drive in the carpool lane.

Keith

Great review! The MyFord Mobile website tracks your last 30 trip/charge events. Have you checked that out?

We added a NuShield screen protector to the Fusion Energi which has made a big improvement in reducing the fingerprint issues. Check out this thread for more info.

The body panels on our 2012 ICE Focus were the same as on the FFE. (In fact the FFE weighs about 600 lbs more than an ICE Focus so if they did do any weight reductions it didn't make much of a difference.)

As Hybridbear mentioned: The website shows you more of your history.

Note that you can also trip plan with mapquest: http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/10/06/where-ever-you-go-there-you-are/

campfamily said:
And, finally, the design of the charge port door is silly. It feels flimsy, not at all like the rest of the car, doesn’t close easily and quickly, and after the initial “hey, this is cool”, is just a royal PIA. I’d rather have a flap. I’m convinced that will be the first thing to break on my car.
Mine hasn't broken after 2.5 years and 31K miles.

Also, make sure you are using it correctly. I never manipulate the door itself, I just press the indentation.

The way to properly open the door is to simply press and release the indentation and it will flip open automatically (as I'm sure you know). The way to properly close the door is the same, only performed in reverse and with a bit more travel for the press and release. The door will flip closed automatically. Most people don't pick up on that at first (I didn't), so I wonder if this is what is giving you the flimsy impression?

In other words, to close the door in a "non-flimsy" way, simply press the indentation "all the way in" and the door will swivel back into place and lock. Grabbing the door and turning it with your wrist is the wrong way.

I'm really surprised you end up with 30 miles left after going near 80mph on the freeway one way.

The tire grip is the weakest part of the car. It really ruins the drivability of the car. Squealing at 40mph on a turn? Come on! As I've mentioned before my Camry does not squeal in a turn whereas the FFE does (at the same speed in a turn).

I keep a small eyeglasses microfiber cleaning cloth in my FFE for cleaning the LCD screen often, works good for fingerprints but just pushes dust over to the side.

Your experience indicates that indeed the 2015 FFE models get a bit better mileage than previous years.
You are averaging <250Wh/m for similar type of driving I do but only get ~270Wh/m on my 2014 FFE, and I keep my freeway speeds down to 65mph unless going downhill.

campfamily said:
I did find something out kind of cool that isn’t mentioned in the owner’s manual and I didn’t know about. If you lift up the lid, then pull the handle back towards the rear of the car, a couple of “legs” pop out of the lid, which then makes the lid horizontal when it is closed, at the same height of the battery compartment. Cool if you want to have a completely flat area behind the rear seat.

Can you give more specific details on this?
I can't seem to do this on my 2014 FFE, unless its something new for 2015?

NightHawk said:
This feature has been all FFE's since day one.

The "flap" on the "cargo organizer"'s handle can move. If you slide the handle towards the rear of the car two legs will align with the rear causing the flap to lay level with the top of the battery. I've used this feature quite a bit to load flat stuff in the trunk.

Look at the first picture in this thread:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=499

The legs are in the "up" position with the flap level with the battery.

Your experience indicates that indeed the 2015 FFE models get a bit better mileage than previous years.
You are averaging <250Wh/m for similar type of driving I do but only get ~270Wh/m on my 2014 FFE, and I keep my freeway speeds down to 65mph unless going downhill.

I think it's more like the guesstimator is calculating off the trip home which is much slower. That 30 miles guess is actually 15 miles going back on the freeway...

Just got home a few minutes ago, 52 miles round trip, and I have 29 miles showing as range remaining. Do I actually have 29 miles left? I have no idea, and don't plan to find out.

Keith

campfamily said:
Just got home a few minutes ago, 52 miles round trip, and I have 29 miles showing as range remaining. Do I actually have 29 miles left? I have no idea, and don't plan to find out.

Keith

How many miles does it show when you get to your work?

jmueller065 said:
The "flap" on the "cargo organizer"'s handle can move. If you slide the handle towards the rear of the car two legs will align with the rear causing the flap to lay level with the top of the battery. I've used this feature quite a bit to load flat stuff in the trunk.

Ah, thanks.
I didn't get that was part of the "cargo organizer"
I removed that thing on day one to get maximum cargo room back there. :)
I can fit a bunch of grocery bags down in the well when that thing is removed.

NightHawk said:
I keep a small eyeglasses microfiber cleaning cloth in my FFE for cleaning the LCD screen often, works good for fingerprints but just pushes dust over to the side.
Did others get a blue Ford cloth in their glovebox with their car? We have one in each car that came with the vehicle.

damania said:
campfamily said:

Keith

This morning when I left the house, the GOM showed 83 miles range. I drive about 6 miles to get to the freeway, mostly 40 to 45 mph, with a half a dozen stop signs / red lights. Then, on to the 605 freeway for the remainder of the trip, at speeds ranging from 70 to 75, with occasional stints at 80 (I'm not going to create an obstacle on the freeway by driving slower than the overall traffic flow). When I got to my destination (the train station at the 605/105 interchange), I had 63 miles remaining. Total distance is about 26 miles.

Keith

jmueller065 said:
Ours came with a Ford cloth (all of our MFT equipped Ford's have included a cleaning cloth).

If mine came with a cloth, I haven't found it yet. I'll look in the glovebox tonight. Meanwhile, I've got an eyeglass cleaning cloth in the car. My wife uses a cloth diaper, left over from when the kids were much younger, to keep the screen clean in her car.

Keith

jmueller065 said:
NightHawk said:

A much better explanation than the one I put in my post. Thanks!!! Anyhow, like I said, I have removed the organizer, the space if far more useable without that in the car. It's likely going to get thrown out, unless I can find a better use for it.

Keith

campfamily said:
damania said:
campfamily said:

Keith

This morning when I left the house, the GOM showed 83 miles range. I drive about 6 miles to get to the freeway, mostly 40 to 45 mph, with a half a dozen stop signs / red lights. Then, on to the 605 freeway for the remainder of the trip, at speeds ranging from 70 to 75, with occasional stints at 80 (I'm not going to create an obstacle on the freeway by driving slower than the overall traffic flow). When I got to my destination (the train station at the 605/105 interchange), I had 63 miles remaining. Total distance is about 26 miles.

Keith

A drop of only 20 miles for driving 26 miles? Mine resets to 82 miles also at a beginning of a charge but I know it's hogwash. When I get on the freeway even at 70mph I see an instant drop in range of 5-10 miles.

campfamily said:
jmueller065 said:
NightHawk said:

A much better explanation than the one I put in my post. Thanks!!! Anyhow, like I said, I have removed the organizer, the space if far more useable without that in the car. It's likely going to get thrown out, unless I can find a better use for it.

Keith
I'm surprised how many ppl have removed the organizer. We have all sorts of stuff inside it and find that having it in there and a flat load floor is much more useful than not having it in there. But we must be hauling different types of cargo...

hybridbear said:
I'm surprised how many ppl have removed the organizer. We have all sorts of stuff inside it and find that having it in there and a flat load floor is much more useful than not having it in there. But we must be hauling different types of cargo...

Well, if you should wear yours out, holler, I'll let you have mine!!! :D

Back