Why You Should Get a Focus Electric Now

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFEGuy

This is addressed to people who are considering buying or leasing a new fully electric car. I have had my Ford Focus Electric since early May, and it does not disappoint! It is a well thought out, practical, and substantial car. Compared to its rivals, it is MUCH better looking, which is important to me. It is really the only EV that is a tasteful mainstream car.

My case for getting a Focus Electric sometime soon is mainly based on two observations about the Ford Motor Company:

First, you will have noticed that Ford is not promoting the Focus Electric at all. That doesn’t mean that it isn’t a very, very good car. Regardless of Ford’s corporate strategies, this car appears to have been developed by a small and dedicated team of engineers who believed in what they were doing and produced an excellent product, probably with very little corporate oversight. Others have speculated that the Focus Electric is merely a “niche car”, a “halo car”, or a “compliance car” in Ford’s product strategy, and they may all be right, especially when you look at the huge and thirsty vehicles Ford does promote and produce in quantity. It is very likely that Ford is not prepared to produce the Focus Electric in large numbers, and when demand does exceed the supply, you may not be able to get one !

Second, the Focus Electric really is a nice car. Sensible size, nice stance, clean design, useful features. Whenever Ford has produced a gem like this in the past, it has been an accident. (Think of the original Thunderbirds and Mustangs.) When Ford stumbles on a winner that then attracts corporate attention, they waste no time in ruining it. The next iteration will be bigger and heavier, with lots of pointless embellishments. The clean and tasteful original will instantly become a “classic”, but you won’t be able to get one anymore! You can count on this.

You might also be procrastinating on your EV purchase in expectation of dramatically improved batteries just around the corner. I have talked with several dedicated battery researchers who are working on just such technologies. They all tell me that big breakthroughs are many years away, and that “incremental improvements” in the lithium ion battery are all that can be expected on the market for the foreseeable future.

Right now, Ford is trying to move these cars, and they have recently reduced the MSRP by $4000. They have been offering various financial incentives, and there are government rebates. I found that I could get a 36 month lease arrangement that actually worked out cheaper than outright purchase. Lease comparisons are not easy, but I came up with about $12K for the first 36 months, and another $18K to buy the car after that. This was only about $2K more than a comparably equipped Nissan Leaf. You may do even better.

Bottom line: Get your classic Ford Focus Electric now, and start enjoying it. You can probably hedge your bet with a lease arrangement at no extra cost.

FFEGuy said:
First, you will have noticed that Ford is not promoting the Focus Electric at all. That doesn’t mean that it isn’t a very, very good car. Regardless of Ford’s corporate strategies, this car appears to have been developed by a small and dedicated team of engineers who believed in what they were doing and produced an excellent product, probably with very little corporate oversight. Others have speculated that the Focus Electric is merely a “niche car”, a “halo car”, or a “compliance car” in Ford’s product strategy, and they may all be right, especially when you look at the huge and thirsty vehicles Ford does promote and produce in quantity. It is very likely that Ford is not prepared to produce the Focus Electric in large numbers, and when demand does exceed the supply, you may not be able to get one !
I have to take exception to much of what you say here:
- Focus Electric was mostly engineered by Magna with Ford (so perhaps yes a small number of engineers but many not Ford)
- "Thirsty" other cars? You are perhaps talking of Ford of old. All automotive manufacturers are racing to get to that 50+ mpg figure mandated by the EPA--all cars are going to get less thirsty as time goes on (heck you can even purchase a venerable F-150 that gets 25 mpg which was unheard of in a truck just a few years ago)
- Not prepared to produce them in large numbers? It is built on the exact same line that produces the ICE Focus--the same line that produced over 1 million vehicles in 2012? and now in two plants worldwide. If the demand ramps up Ford can make them--its just getting the parts!

"Right now, Ford is trying to move these cars, and they have recently reduced the MSRP by $4000. They have been offering various financial incentives, and there are government rebates. I found that I could get a 36 month lease arrangement that actually worked out cheaper than outright purchase. Lease comparisons are not easy, but I came up with about $12K for the first 36 months, and another $18K to buy the car after that. This was only about $2K more than a comparably equipped Nissan Leaf . You may do even better."

Thanks for the conscientious post. It appears that you are talking directly to me, as I have been vacillating over purchasing or leasing a electric vehicle for some time now. I currently own an ICE Focus and have been following the the EV version since its inception -- even watched the silly races Jay Leno had with various celebrities on the Tonight Show back when the FFE was a proto-type. Then came the Volt and Leaf and things got a bit more confusing. The Volt was quickly eliminated from my consideration, as it was not a true-EV, but the Leaf was harder to back away from. In the end, what sunk the Leaf was the lack of features per dollar compared to the FFE and (it's ok to admit it) its weird looks. So, I was at the verge of committing to the FFE, but in walked the Honda Fit EV offer ($259 mo/36 months, zero down, UNLIMITED mileage, free charging station, and collision insurance), which turned out to be too good to be true -- I'm one of many pre-qualified for the lease on a waiting list now that is frustrated by Honda's lack of communication regarding availability of their vehicle.

Today, posts like the one from FFEguy are helping me back on track to the FFE. Now it is all about getting the best value. I am a bit confused about the $4000 price cut with the 2014 Focus model and what it will represent for the 2013 models price. Will the 2013's also be cut $4000 more or will the lease offer only be limited to the 2013 and therefore make the 2014 less desirable until the 2013's are gone? And, what about buying vs leasing. Leasing is favorable for low down and monthly payment, plus it offers an exit strategy in three years if battery degrades substantially. But, if you elect to buy after the lease, what type of interest and terms will you likely get on a loan for the residual (approx $18,000)? Still some considerations to ponder. Anyone look at the math at leasing at low mileage 10,500/year offer to get low up front and lease payments and then not worry about mileage, by just buying at the end?

Thanks for the help to all.

MontereyEV

Back