Using L off of the line

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epaminondas

I know the L setting on the trans. results in more agressive regeneration but it also seems quicker from a start - Is this my imagination?

It's basically re-mapping the accelerator pedal response, so yes, it's going to feel faster from a standing start.

There's no change to the transmission gearing, just an electronic change to how much current the controller puts into the motor for a given accelerator position.

Coming from driving a stick-shift hybrid, I'm accustomed to careful gliding, so I don't use L mode. I might start doing so in stop-and-go traffic.

The Seahawks are kicking off against the Packers in 90 minutes, and the whole city is gridlocked, so I'll get a chance to experiment with stop-and-go traffic tonight.

The owners manual does not mention any difference for acceleration, only extra regen.

Personally I don't think there is (and don't notice) any change to the cars acceleration profile in L.

jmueller065 said:
Personally I don't think there is (and don't notice) any change to the cars acceleration profile in L.
Me either.

What can (maybe) result in slightly faster off-the-line (at least it feels like it) response is giving the A pedal a little tap before flooring it off, just to get the car rolling. A split-second later, when you do floor it, it seems to have a tad more oomph.

You might also want to turn off the traction control (left-hand dash control/display).

WattsUp said:
jmueller065 said:
Me either.
What I would like to try is to time the winding up of the motor against the parking brake. If you have ever put the e-brake on while pushing the accelerator, the motor does start up. It's sort of like pushing the accelerator while holding the brake on a gasser. This is normal for winding up an engine, but I don't know if it has any benefit on the FFE.

unplugged said:
WattsUp said:
jmueller065 said:
Me either.
What I would like to try is to time the winding up of the motor against the parking brake. If you have ever put the e-brake on while pushing the accelerator, the motor does start up. It's sort of like pushing the accelerator while holding the brake on a gasser. This is normal for winding up an engine, but I don't know if it has any benefit on the FFE.

I don't think you would be able to see the difference, unless you were using automated timing. Aren't there curves that show the time to generate torque in an electric motor? Isn't the max torque within milliseconds? Even if it was 0.1 second, that's still probably the error in timing.

Winding up the motor probably generates heat in the motor and might just be counterproductive.

Fun though to think of enhanced burnouts.

EVA said:
I don't think you would be able to see the difference, unless you were using automated timing. Aren't there curves that show the time to generate torque in an electric motor? Isn't the max torque within milliseconds?
Unfortunately, max torque is software limited on the FFE to probably to baby the powertrain. I suspect that the torque against the parking brake is similarly limited. Sometime, I'll have to do a little timing run and see.

Back