Springs, Swaybars?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would guess that if you put ST parts on it the rear end may sag a bit: The FFE is something like 800lbs heavier in the rear than either the normal ICE Focus or the ST. Performance wise this gives it a better 50/50 weight ratio front/rear but otherwise attempting to put any existing stock suspension parts on it--especially the rears--may result in a disappointing front-high drive angle (which really wouldn't look sporty at all!).

Drive an ICE Focus for a while and then drive the FFE for a while and you can really tell there is the extra weight back there--especially going over rough roads. To me I notice quite a bit more pitch roll in the FFE than an ICE Focus. Granted that could also be due to all the extra torque available in the FFE that the ICE doesn't have--I guess I'd have to test drive an ST and see if I notice it there (I'm guessing not simply because the ICE & ST don't have much weight over the rear axle so its easier for their rear suspension to handle the additional load from acceleration than the FFE does).

Just something to think about when modifying the FFE...

I, as long as I keep the car, plan on swapping the front with the coupe or ST front. Can't believe they decided to make this car look like a guppy in the front.

az erik said:
I, as long as I keep the car, plan on swapping the front with the coupe or ST front. Can't believe they decided to make this car look like a guppy in the front.

HAHAHAH....so true!!! I like it, guppy...

az erik said:
Most critics approve of the FFE grill and front bumper. I think the grill is very well done. But to each his own....

As to the ST add-ons, I did investigate replacing the rear roof spoiler with the ST spoiler. More than anything, I thought maybe the slots in the spoiler could keep the rear window a bit cleaner. (I have never had a car that actually collects dirt and debris above the rear wiper.)

I don't want to affect the aerodynamics, so I held up on it. That and I would have to get the new spoiler painted.

unplugged said:
I don't want to affect the aerodynamics, so I held up on it. That and I would have to get the new spoiler painted.

It does appear a bit easier to get the black parts already painted. BTW I used to order my parts from ford painted, or from a dealer in Texas that painted then shipped them. I figured I was going to try to find a front end some kid pulled off to put on some ebay body kit :)

az erik said:

Seriously, it's unbelievable.

So has anyone tried using the Eibach Sway Bars for the standard Focus yet? The part #35134.320. Ride height isn't so much of an issue for me, but body lean is.

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/77A2548A3833568.aspx

alexistexas said:
az erik said:

I like the FFE front. Clean, sleek.

I don't particularly care for the "Darth Vader" grill on the ST.

WattsUp said:
alexistexas said:
az erik said:

I like the FFE front. Clean, sleek.

I don't particularly care for the "Darth Vader" grill on the ST.

Ha - funny I remember the guppy comment from so long ago. I laugh every time I see a brand new Fiesta - I think Ford disagrees. I think both the FFE, new Fiesta, the ICE Focus, and the ST look great.

So hey, how's that going getting a new front clip for the FFE?

Keep in mind if you do change out suspension or swaybar parts the ones you might be putting in might be lighter duty than what is already installed. The other members already pointed out that it is much heavier and the suspension parts were already beefed up to handle that weight.

In addition keep in mind when changing out the front end that our grill is currently most blocked/sealed/facade. Where as the ICE cars need more cooling capacity and have more vents opened. This could really change the aerodynamics of the front end.

Just crawled under my car, it appears that the stock FFE rear sway bar is only 16mm, vs 19mm on a stock ICE car. I'd assume to keep the car more pushy, they downsized the RSB with regards to the unique weight distribution. 16 vs 19 is huge in terms of change of spring rate, nearly double. The Steeda is 100% stiffer then a stock ICE bar, so that's a HUGE jump if you get that one. I haven't measure the front sway yet.

Here is the Ford Racing "Focus Handling Pack": Lower ride height and stiffer springs (than a normal ICE Focus has):
http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13501

(Even has PDF of instructions so you can see where the FFE & ICE are different...)

I was hopeful that the ST rear swaybar would bolt right in. Nope. The attachment points are much further outboard on the ST. For a comparison, check out Edmunds extensive suspension walkarounds for both cars.

Titanuim:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2012-ford-focus-titanium-suspension-walkaround.html

ST:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2013-ford-focus-st-suspension-walkaround.html

Back