Really hot 110V Plug

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaluo

Is it normal to have a hot 110V plug. The metal on the plug is too hot to touch, and the rubber/plastic exterior is very warm. Of course this only happens when I unplug and it's still actively charging, but the metal seems so hot that it would be a fire hazard. I usually unplug after charging has been complete for awhile. Normal?

Hi kmaluo -

No, it's not normal and it is a fire hazard. Assuming the plug on your charge cord is fine, I'd replace the socket.

I would inspect the prongs on the plug for discoloration, and oxidation. Replace the 110 volt wall socket with a comercial grade socket. These have higher clamping force on the plug and will last longer. This should help improve the electrical connection with the plug.

You can try to eliminate things: Try charging from a different outlet: If the plug is still hot its the plug, if the plug is cool its the outlet.
I'm guessing its your outlet.

My coworker had a similar issue but it was with his EVSE: It got hot enough that it melted the charge socket in the car. He's had to have to socket replaced twice now (and his EVSE replaced once).

I'm here at my local Ford for a flat tire and decided to ask about it since it happens on 3 different outlets. Ford Corporate was closed, so I'll probably get a replacement tomorrow. Also upon closer inspection, the plastic around one of the pins is melting.

Thank you for the responses.

Back