MFM app shows 28 kWh battery?!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

I've just noticed that the battery image in the trip & charge log shown by the MFM app for iOS indicates maximum battery capacity of, apparently, 28 kWh?

This just seems plain wrong... the consensus of owner experience seems to have shown that the FFE has a usable capacity of 19.5 kWh. And Ford's own marketing materials mention only a total capacity of 23 kWh. Nowhere is the number 28 mentioned.

Do you suppose the FFE was once planned to have a 28 kWh battery and/or even a 28 kWh usable capacity? The latter would represent a maximum range of about 110 miles (assuming 256 Wh/mile, the same rate which yields the existing 76 mile range for a 19.5 kWh usable capacity).

Btw, the same log entry for my FFE at the MFM website shows the same battery graphic, though without any numeric labels on the scale. The website also reports 8 kWh used, as opposed to the 7 kWh shown by the phone app (for the exact same log entry).

I really wish Ford would get their act together regarding the accuracy of the information reported by the MFM website and phone apps. I don't really trust anything they report to me. It all just seems to be silly "toy" information, that examples like this show.

What I find interesting about all the bugs in MFT and MFM regarding our vehicles is that they accurately reflect the activity but not the "values" of those activities.

e.g. it knows that it charged but gets all the numbers wrong--including the size of the battery as you pointed out. I frequently see the value charge times (inside the vehicle and on MFM and the app) completely off and yet it still value charges at the correct time (I set up an experiment to see if I can get those more accurate by setting the charge time after midnight--so far its been correct every time!? My old value charge window was 11pm - 8am and it would frequently say value charge from now - 12am--which got me thinking about the midnight trick.

In addition to all that goofiness the basics still seem to work: Hitting update accurately shows the state of charge on the battery, it seems to always know its state pretty well (charging, waiting to charge, etc.).

I have noticed quite a few flaws with their website and Android app also. What is the best path for us to receive support. It looks like we can call in during business hours or email [email protected]. Does anyone have any luck getting knowledgeable help and/or action taken with their issues?

It seems that we paid very good money for this service and the product seems less than one would expect.
What release are they on for the website? The android app is 1.0.2. I really hope they answer my issues and questions I just emailed in.

Rudy

jmueller065 said:
What I find interesting about all the bugs in MFT and MFM regarding our vehicles is that they accurately reflect the activity but not the "values" of those activities.

e.g. it knows that it charged but gets all the numbers wrong--including the size of the battery as you pointed out. I frequently see the value charge times (inside the vehicle and on MFM and the app) completely off and yet it still value charges at the correct time (I set up an experiment to see if I can get those more accurate by setting the charge time after midnight--so far its been correct every time!? My old value charge window was 11pm - 8am and it would frequently say value charge from now - 12am--which got me thinking about the midnight trick.

In addition to all that goofiness the basics still seem to work: Hitting update accurately shows the state of charge on the battery, it seems to always know its state pretty well (charging, waiting to charge, etc.).

Yes, I have noticed this too. My value charge display whether in the car, MFM on a PC, or MFM on my iPhone never shows the correct charge times for Value Charge (for me it's midnight to 6AM), it always shows Now - (some random time). I was hoping the 3.5 update was going to fix this issue, but it still persists. But as you say, it does seem to actually charge at the right time (although for me it doesn't stop charging at 6AM like it should, it continues charging until full).

What's worse, my consumption in Wh/mi. readings on MFM is now showing 0 Wh/mi. for every trip. Brake and driving scores occasionally show 0s as well. And it only records every other trip or so, and no charging events so far, even though I've charged at least 10 times since the update.

Back