Focus EV Emblems

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there supposed to be an emblem on the bottom of the passenger door like there is on the driver's door? If so, I'm missing it.

You mean like this?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2012_Ford_Focus_Electric_Vehicle_MSVG_01_trimmed.jpg

I just peeked out the window at my FFE and the right side emblem on mine seems to be lower than the one in the above picture, but it's there.

DavidJohnson said:
Is there supposed to be an emblem on the bottom of the passenger door like there is on the driver's door? If so, I'm missing it.
Yes... mine has one on each side. Sounds like they forgot one of yours (either that, or the passenger side of your Focus is actually the gas version). ;)

My emblems are slightly lower than the image showed by v_traveller above. Probably that image was a pre-production unit and they decided on a lower mounting later.

WattsUp said:
DavidJohnson said:
(either that, or the passenger side of your Focus is actually the gas version).
Oh no! Driving with a gas version passenger door will surely lower your efficiency. Demand a replacement passenger door, not just an emblem.

If you mean you are removing them the only thing that I caution you about is if you have an accident the responders will not know you are in an EV. It might place you in danger.

Susan said:
If you mean you are removing them the only thing that I caution you about is if you have an accident the responders will not know you are in an EV. It might place you in danger.
...or the responders in danger, who might need to cut into your car. Unaware of the possibility of high-voltage, they could be electrocuted, or a fire or explosion could be sparked (there might be gas from another car).

I didn't plan on removing all of them. just the "lectric" &(leafy thing), leaving the E with the plug. I don't plan on getting in an accident either but that's another topic, though I had never once though about that.

az erik said:
I didn't plan on removing all of them. just the "lectric" &(leafy thing), leaving the E with the plug. I don't plan on getting in an accident either but that's another topic, though I had never once though about that.
Yeah, but the full "electric" wording is pretty clear. Just the plug may not be so obvious.

Nobody plans to get into an accident. ;)

My dealer had a pinstripe added to our car before we bought it. A pretty standard pinstripe along the upper belt line, at the end a small electric plug - maybe 2 inches wide. Very subtle and kind of harmless looking. When we had our accident, the firemen all noticed the pinstripe with the plug. No idea why or what it is about their training that made them all look there. They just did.

My point - first responders look at a lot of things before they touch a car. Emblems is one of them, but there are a lot of other things they see that would push them the right direction.

By the way, I had to show them how to disconnect the battery. Not sure what they would have done in an emergency. None of them had any idea where to find the disconnect, or where to start looking.

EVA said:
My dealer had a pinstripe added to our car before we bought it. A pretty standard pinstripe along the upper belt line, at the end a small electric plug - maybe 2 inches wide. Very subtle and kind of harmless looking. When we had our accident, the firemen all noticed the pinstripe with the plug. No idea why or what it is about their training that made them all look there. They just did.

My point - first responders look at a lot of things before they touch a car. Emblems is one of them, but there are a lot of other things they see that would push them the right direction.

By the way, I had to show them how to disconnect the battery. Not sure what they would have done in an emergency. None of them had any idea where to find the disconnect, or where to start looking.

It's the one behind the back seat? (the one I hope they can get to if the seat moves and I wasn't hit there). No sooner did you bring this up I had a near hit leaving work. Guy in front of me got T-boned on the driver side by someone running the red light, at about 50. Happens often in PHX. Yellow means "maybe", RED means RACE from the looks of things.

Yes Az Erik - there is one behind the back seat and another in the passenger side rear wheel well. Pull either of them and the battery is disconnected. I had to show the fire department where the disconnect was using the owner's manual. Not a bad idea for you to know where it is so you can show them in the event they need to do the disconnect. The fireman was grateful I know where it was.

By the way, you can pull the disconnect just to see how it works. It doesn't affect your car losing memory or messing up the motor. Mine has been disconnected for over a week now and I can still communicate with the car through My Ford Mobile. Yeah, and it reports everything is fine on the car.

EVA said:
By the way, you can pull the disconnect just to see how it works. It doesn't affect your car losing memory or messing up the motor. Mine has been disconnected for over a week now and I can still communicate with the car through My Ford Mobile. Yeah, and it reports everything is fine on the car.
Right. And realize that connecting and reconnecting the battery already happens all the time. The muffled "clicking" noises you hear coming from the back area when you unlock your FFE are the high-voltage relays connecting the battery in preparation to drive. You also hear the relays whenever you "poll" for the battery level via the MFM website or phone. The car, if needed, temporarily connects the battery (to check the SOC) and then disconnects shortly after.

Indeed, when your FFE is parked and not charging, the battery is normally "disconnected" (via the relays). The emergency disconnect just makes sure it stays physically disconnected so, if the cars other systems are damaged, the battery doesn't somehow remain connected to other components.

Back