Dual 120V charger?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmspen

Why doesn't someone put out a dual 120v charger? Plug into 2 separate 120V outlets and charge equivalent to 240V?
Clearly you'd need to be on 2 separate circuits in a normal household (15 amp breakers), but it seems a clever solution. You could even go with a current limiting device to go on a single 15 amp circuit.

Anyone seen one for EVs? I've seen them for other purposes such as running heavy duty compressors and such, but not one for EVs.

dmspen said:
Why doesn't someone put out a dual 120v charger? Plug into 2 separate 120V outlets and charge equivalent to 240V?
Clearly you'd need to be on 2 separate circuits in a normal household (15 amp breakers), but it seems a clever solution. You could even go with a current limiting device to go on a single 15 amp circuit.

Anyone seen one for EVs? I've seen them for other purposes such as running heavy duty compressors and such, but not one for EVs.

It's not just a matter of two different circuits but of the circuits being in 180 degree opposite phase from each other to achieve 240 Volts. The ordinary homeowner isn't likely to be able to identify which outlets are on circuits coming from different sides of the panel and it is not common for there to be outlets from both sides of the panel in the same room.

Running appropriately sized wire and installing a 240V outlet is more practical and more likely to be foolproof.

There's a device called a "QUICK 220"

http://www.quick220.com/

That does exactly this. It identifies two out of phase circuits.

That having been said, I agree....put in a 220 circuit and be done with it.

Also this quick charger can not used on a circuit that is GFCI protected. The GFCI will see the inbalance in the hot nuetral wires and trip.

I understand about homeowners not understanding how to do this.
The item listed seems great. At work we have 4 120v outdoor outlets, each on separate circuits expressly for car charging. On days when other EV owners aren't around (most Fridays), it would be beneficial to have some fast charge capability.

Of course I'd have to get a 240V charge cable...

dmspen said:
I understand about homeowners not understanding how to do this.
The item listed seems great. At work we have 4 120v outdoor outlets, each on separate circuits expressly for car charging. On days when other EV owners aren't around (most Fridays), it would be beneficial to have some fast charge capability.

Of course I'd have to get a 240V charge cable...
Yes, it will be 240 volts, but very likely limited to 15, maybe 20, amps.

Back