Cold Weather Charging and Mileage

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dmen said:
I'd be willing to bet Max's commute traffic is much heavier than jmueller's. Remember that when the heater is running almost constantly, low speed EV driving becomes less efficient than conservative highway driving. Crawling down a jammed, frozen interstate on the way to work today, trying to keep the windshield deiced, I watched the kWh's click away while my car went nowhere. My full charge range guess today was 36.
That is a possibility, however, I tend to take back roads which reduces the power consumption from moving the car but increases the power consumption from the heater because its a longer in time commute (still only 15 miles).

In any case these <0F days are brutal in any car!

We're down to 50-55 miles of GOM range in the mornings now. These below 0 days are killer because the heat runs at 5+ kW the entire time, no matter what you do. Most of our trips now show as 400-500 Wh/mi. For the first couple summer months I was able to average 200 Wh/mi over the first 2500 or so miles of driving the FFE.

Glad to see nothing's wrong with mine. I have the 2013 Black FFE now with 17,000 miles (the $16,500 recalled FFE still running like a champ), but yeah, the winter battery is terrible. I have a 60 mile round trip commute, in Saint Louis weather. The low last night was -5. I have a charging station at work, but we are limited on spots so I have to move the car after it charges. Which means my car sits in well-below freezing temps with that full battery just watching the hours tick by. The drive home is 30 miles, I usually show 40 on the GOM. It doesn't matter how fast/slow I drive, the GOM hates me this winter. Even worse, if I make side trips, turn the car off, leave it sit an hour or two, and then come back the range is even less after it heats up. The low winter range really sucks. I would love to keep this car long term if a battery pack upgrade becomes available in a couple years, but the stock battery just doesn't cut it in the brutal Midwest winters. To you folks in Canada, what kind of winter range are you getting?

In NY, Long Island we're in the low 20s upper 20s and I'm down to 57mi with heat on. Today was the first time I decided to take an ICE vehicle for a 70 mile trip. Without heat I probably could have made it. I googled the route, as the trip planner app is useless, and the google result said 36 miles each way. I did the trip in the ICE and google was off 10 miles both ways. I could have gone EV for 52 miles with heat. I'm feeling conflicted, restricted, and cheated all in the same moment.
H

Back