Charge at any 240 outlet.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josephus

EVSEupgrade.com offers a charging cord/point that theoretically can be plugged into any voltage/amp outlet such as 240 volt (currently $1027 plus any adapters you want). The idea is that the "home stations" that we are buying are just fancy fixed cords that tell the car's on-board charger what level juice is coming from the outlet.

Aparently the cord that comes with the FFE is too flimsy to "upgrade" (normally only $287) and we must purchase a completely new upgraded cord for $1027. But even at this price, all you need is a 240 volt outlet -- anywhere. This is what Mark emailed me when I asked why the FEE cord can't be upgraded:

The unit is glued shut and has wire that is too thin. The upgraded Panasonic unit we sell is a very high quality and extremely reliable unit that also is very high power. It also is adjustable which is an exclusive feature we offer. We sell these units at cost plus the upgrade, they are $965 form the dealer plus tax.

Imaging a "charging station" at the grocery store that was little more than a 240 outlet. How about all those garages that already have a dedicated machine outlet or dryer outlet.

Has anyone used or heard about this option. It seems a well done and very versitle option.

Josephus said:
all you need is a 240 volt outlet -- anywhere.
Yes, but most household 240V outlets are only capable of delivering 30A maximum current (which means 24A continuous, if you want to avoid violating the NEC). With such a connection, you can safely charge at up to 5.7 kW (24A @ 240V = 5760 watts).

Regarding portable charging and EVSE adapters, you may be interested in the following thread:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1004

The thread shows how I adapted a ClipperCreek LCS-25 (which charges at 20A, delivering 4.8 kW) for portable use via adapters for "any" common 240V outlet. Allows me to recharge my FFE "anywhere" in 5 hours. I was inspired by some of the stuff I saw at EVSEAdapters.com.

Josephus said:
Imaging a "charging station" at the grocery store that was little more than a 240 outlet. How about all those garages that already have a dedicated machine outlet or dryer outlet.

Has anyone used or heard about this option. It seems a well done and very versitle option.

All that is being added is the proper circuit for automatic voltage level. I was one of the backers in a Kickstarter campaign by Electric Motor Werks (get it, "EMW") that offers a similar charger from $139 as a kit (not including cables!) up to $239 as fully assembled. I purchased the assembled kit for $224 including an internal GFCI. The cords were $150 for the J1772 and I made my own 250V 50 amp cord. My total cost is about $420 with all cords.

This unit is designed to go beyond the amperage of any unit now on the market: up to 60 amps at 240V. The charging station is fairly small and operates from 110 15 amp up to 240 60 amp automatically. You can check it out here: http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/44-emw-juicebox-level-2-15kw-ev-charging-station-kit-or-assembled-unit . Also, you can see of a photo of the disassembled unit here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emw/emw-juicebox-an-open-source-level-2-ev-charging-st/posts/574231?ref=email&show_token=88ca9b60a1a74194 This is a full aluminum case that is waterproof.

I'll provide more info once I receive it. It is a much less expensive alternative than the one offered by the EVCS upgrade.

I just got my 2012 FFE two weeks ago. I really liked the Tesla UMC and its ability to charge from many different sources. Conveniently, the Tesla UMC uses the same J1772 signaling protocol, just with a proprietary plug. So, I ordered a J1772 plug, cut off the Tesla plug, connecting on my J1772 plug; and now I have a very portable, versatile level I/II charger. I have adapters for NEMA 14-50, 6-50, 10-50, 10-30, 14-30, 5-15, and L6-30. Also, with my 50 foot 50 amp RV NEMA 14-50 extension cord, I can reach much further than just with the Tesla UMC. I use a modified NEMA 14-30 adapter for the Tesla UMC when plugged into the 30 amp adapted outlets, so that the pilot signal sent to the car is for 24 amps. That way I don't overload the circuit. All in all, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Now I have level II charging options at friends houses and many places I go.

sefs said:
I use a modified NEMA 14-30 adapter for the Tesla UMC when plugged into the 30 amp adapted outlets, so that the pilot signal sent to the car is for 24 amps.
Curious... how does the shape of the plug you use "to the wall" have any affect on the pilot-signal sent via J1772? What is the nature of this 14-30 "modification" you mention?

WattsUp said:
sefs said:
I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Now I have level II charging options at friends houses and many places I go.
Cool... photos?

Tesla UMC Plugged into NEMA 14-50 Outlet
qM3CeuM.jpg

Tesla UMC with J1772 Plug into FFE
ZnKczGX.jpg

WattsUp said:
sefs said:
I use a modified NEMA 14-30 adapter for the Tesla UMC when plugged into the 30 amp adapted outlets, so that the pilot signal sent to the car is for 24 amps.
Curious... how does the shape of the plug you use "to the wall" have any affect on the pilot-signal sent via J1772? What is the nature of this 14-30 "modification" you mention?

The reason I have the modified NEMA 14-30 adapter for the Tesla (http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/nema-14-30) is that this adapter being plugged on the end of the UMC tells the UMC to transmit a 24 amp pilot signal to the car. I am using various adapters from (http://www.evseadapters.com/adapters-for-tesla-model-s.php) so I can use a bunch of different 240V outlets with my 50 amp extension cord. The method of using these adapters with a Model S would be to lower the amp limit of charging in the car. However, with the FFE unable to do this, I have to make sure the FFE doesn't pull over 24 amps (80% of the 30 amp outlet) while plugged into these types of outlets with the evseadapters.com adapters. The evseadapters.com adapters have a plug of the type of outlet you want to adapt to, and the receptacle of a NEMA 14-50. This is great, because I can use my 50 amp extension cord for these 30 amp outlets. But, the end of the 50 amp extension cord is NEMA 14-50, and if I used the NEMA 14-50 adapter on the Tesla UMC, it would transmit a 40 amp pilot signal, the FFE would draw >24 amps, and I would overload the circuit. By removing the neutral pin from the NEMA 14-30 adapter for the UMC (it is totally unused), the UMC thinks it's plugged into a 30 amp outlet, and properly transmits a 24 amp pilot signal. Hope that made sense. I can take some more detailed pictures to illustrate the concept as well.

Back