A few question!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuuk1

So 1 week into my EV and i have done already 600km, a gas savings of about $150.00.
Along the week i have seen a few things that i need answers to, so here goes:

1. When you use your heater, does it matter how hot you set the temp or fan speeds, currently i dont see much difference.

2. What is the proper method to store away my car for the winter, do i leave it full charge? do i keep charging it, or maybe timed charges etc...

3. when should we use the (L) low gear? i heard someone said we regen more.

4. What maintenance can we expect in the future?

5. currently how much does a new battery cost?

Lastly, i am tired of being asked where the gas tank is, some people just don't get it haha.

nuuk1 said:
So 1 week into my EV and i have done already 600km, a gas savings of about $150.00.
Along the week i have seen a few things that i need answers to, so here goes:

1. When you use your heater, does it matter how hot you set the temp or fan speeds, currently i dont see much difference.
When the heating system is first engaged, it has to heat up first, which will take much power at first. After a little bit, it should scale down; especially if the cabin is approaching the target temperature. Also note, on a hot day when you are running the AC, if you raise the temperature, the heater will engage to help bring the temperature up quicker. Also, if running the AC to defrost the windows, it will engage the heater too. For an electric car with this type of heating system, I think I prefer to do things myself. Automatic mode doesn't seem to economize on the power as it will use the heater on a whim.
2. What is the proper method to store away my car for the winter, do i leave it full charge? do i keep charging it, or maybe timed charges etc...
I'm not so sure. I would just leave it plugged in. That way, the car can keep the battery conditioned.
3. when should we use the (L) low gear? i heard someone said we regen more.
I think the intent is to use it when going down hill. I don't think it is much different than lightly touching the brakes while going downhill. I think the system engineers are trying to keep the look and feel the same as a regular car so that people instantly know how to drive it and use the controls. I'd would have rather had a variable knob or something so that if I were on long grade, I could tune it to the perfect amount of regen to keep the speed maintained...or better yet, have the cruise control do it...oooOOO, I smell a patent!
4. What maintenance can we expect in the future?
Hard to say...tires, brake fluid replacement, 12V battery, wiper blades, etc. The thing that scares me is if the speed controller or other critical system dies. It isn't like I can pop out my mechanics socket set and a shop light and dig into it.
5. currently how much does a new battery cost?
Probably too much. A quick google search shows $12k - $15k. So save your gas money...and hope the battery dies a month before the warrany expires...not after. I would bet the price would come down in 8 years if the FFE can get its volumes up. Otherwise the market wouldn't be big enough for a 3rd party company to make a cheeper alternative to help drive the cost down.
Lastly, i am tired of being asked where the gas tank is, some people just don't get it haha.

Hope that helps you.

Sure glad to see you are having fun with the car. I will bet your driving style has changed, from really agressive to much calmer.

Point out the exhaust pipe when they ask about the gas tank.

On the heater thing, when it gets warmer, you can play with the temperature setting on Auto to see when the heater kicks in. You'll know it happened when the budget meter starts reading negative more miles. When this happens is kind of counter intuitive at first.

You'll probably see this in Montreal over the next few weeks, as the weather stays really humid and cold - around 40 degrees it is hard to keep the windshield fog free. I found myself running the defrost / floor combo with a low fan setting for a long time. Sometimes I did kick on the A/C to clear up the windshield.

If you leave every morning at the same time I highly recommend using the go times.

I have mine set to the max temp (85F) with some really good results:
- Get into a really nice & toasty car in the morning
- Any frost on the windows is completely gone and the windows are dry!
- Typically don't have to turn on any HVAC settings until about 1/2 way through my commute (then its just defrost on LO and low fan just to blow some air on the windows)

I'm very curious to see what this setting does in the really cold weather! (Don't have long to wait next week here we'll have highs in the 30s and lows in the low 20s)

I've noticed on this setting that the car turns on and starts to warm up a full hour before the go time!

Definitely driving calmer, but mostly because the ride is so smooth that its actually enjoyable. It smooth, quiet, relaxing, clean air and even the seats are so relaxing with just a bit of heat to warm my back.
I guess when i tell people about the car, the main point is that it is so smooth to drive, i cant believe that we have driven gas cars for so long with all the problems and rattles, smells and definitely noise compared to an electric car.
Yesterday i parked at a charging station while i went to eat, by the time i put the charger on there where at least 10 people looking and asking questions. When i got back from lunch there were even more people.

Its only a matter of time that these cars will be all over the place. I know for sure tons of people are buying the new c-max energi with the half electric engine, but personally i will never go back to gas if i have the choice. My next car will hopefully be another electric that can charge faster and get more mileage for long trips. In time they will be coming, i am sure Tesla will get us an affordable long range car by the time i am ready to buy again.

Jmueller, thanks for the tip on Go times. I figured it would be the narrow 10 minute window like remote start. That's great to hear that the car starts warming up really early. I'll surprise my wife with this as it gets colder. She will be so surprised that the car is toasty warm.

Oh - I just looked at the Go times, that is way too awesome with the temperature setting. Thank you Jmueller, you post the best darn stuff over here.

davideos said:
I'd would have rather had a variable knob or something so that if I were on long grade, I could tune it to the perfect amount of regen to keep the speed maintained...or better yet, have the cruise control do it...oooOOO, I smell a patent!
The cruise control is exactly that knob!

If the car is going too fast for the set speed, cruise will back off the accelerator, and the natural motor resistance will slow the car down (thus engaging regen). This is exactly how cruise works in an ICE car (except there is no regen of course) and is no different than you modulating your foot on the accelerator (of course, cruise does it much more precisely).

If the steepness of the incline still causes the car roll faster downhill in D than the set speed, simply shift to L. In both cases, regen will occur whenever motor resistance is slowing the car. If steeper still, then of course you'll have to use the mechanical brakes (but that's a pretty steep hill).

For small hills, wind resistance and other drag is sufficient to keep the car's speed constant, but the typical cruise control does not regulate down-hill speed. True, you can downshift to help get it closer, but often, I find it is either a little too much or not quite enough. And even then, you still have to watch it. With the electric motor, it seems, there is an ability to apply a variable amount of regen to compensate automatically to increased speed due to the down-hill conditions for which wind resistance and drag cannot appropriately handle.

No big deal as it isn't an everyday occurance. There is only one hill in my area where this would be a nice feature...but even then, it isn't in my typical commute.

davideos said:
With the electric motor, it seems, there is an ability to apply a variable amount of regen to compensate automatically to increased speed due to the down-hill conditions for which wind resistance and drag cannot appropriately handle.
Exactly... which is why driving around with cruise control in the FFE is so cool. It automatically applies an alternating mix of acceleration and regeneration in the most efficient manner possible to achieve the desired constant speed, even over mildly hilly terrain. Even on moderate inclines, in which case one would want to shift to L, the cruise in the FFE can effectively maintain the set speed going up or down hills.

Back