A bit of a challenge, issues with a US Ford Focus in Iceland

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorvj

Hehe so we imported a couple of these cars, they are so much fun to drive!

Anyhow 2 separate issues I was curious if anyone might be able to come up with possible solutions, if there are any.

The first being the charge plug for our rapid charge stations does not fit any in Iceland, assuming that is because the North American one and EU ones are not standardized (when will the world just standardize everything from the start) :) Could anyone think of a solution to this, possibly finding someone to engineer a cap to put on top of the plus that would fit in the EU rapid charge stations. We contacted Ford US and the EU, they have not been entirely helpful.

The 2nd issue is getting the My Ford App to work, I had to install the App on the Android phone by downloading the apk and installing that way, since there is a region restriction on the google play store for the app. But after installing, adding the vehicle with the VIN, I get to the screen where I have to get in to the car and look for I'm assuming something to pop up on the display to continue to the next step. Nothing happens, I tried connecting with a USB from the phone, turning the car on and off again a few times. Removing the Car from the My Vehicles screen on the APP.

I read somewhere people were taking fuses out and putting them back in, all kinds of stuff, but I'm worried that this might be a geo restriction issue firstly, BUT I have the app installed and it seems like the car should at least connect with the APP on the phone.

If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful.

Cheers,

Thor.

What years are the cars that you imported? And are you talking about the ford chargers that come with the car? They are far from rapid chargers and operate on 120v ac.

Carbuff said:
What years are the cars that you imported? And are you talking about the ford chargers that come with the car? They are far from rapid chargers and operate on 120v ac.

2017 and Orginal charger that comes with the vehicle is 230v and I will have a adapter for the Fast Charger level 3

Looks like this would do the trick, albeit not cheap. https://www.elintacharge.com/en/accessories/ccs-type-1-to-ccs-type-2-fast-charge-adaptor

Why did you import one from the US instead of just getting one in Europe that already has the European spec plug? I would think you could just order the plug from ford in Europe. Then I would think swapping them would simply be plug 'n' play (pun intended).

I'm going to guess that MFM will be useless for you. Your MFM problem is likely a modem incompatibility or lack of a carrier agreement with your local mobile networks. The modem in the TCU uses the AT&T network in the US. Not sure if it's 3G or 4G. The mobile networks there would have to be compatible with the AT&T network here (frequencies and what not). Then there's the issue of the modem being able to use the mobile network there (carrier agreement). I assume AT&T doesn't exist there so your modem may not be authorized to access the local mobile networks even if it is compatible. The way "pairing" MFM on your phone with the car works is that you put the info in the app that talks to fords servers. Then Fords servers communicate with the car over the mobile network so the car can then issue a prompt for you to "ok" completing the process. It can take 24-48 hours to get the prompt in the car. If you're not getting the prompt the your car likely isn't able to communicate with fords servers (no mobile network connection). The car cannot communicate with fords servers any other way.

Sometimes the TCU stops working and needs a "reboot." That probably what you read about pulling fuses. Unhooking the 12V battery and waiting a minute or two before hooking it back up accomplishes the same thing.

triangles said:
Why did you import one from the US instead of just getting one in Europe that already has the European spec plug? I would think you could just order the plug from ford in Europe. Then I would think swapping them would simply be plug 'n' play (pun intended).

Hehe its far more expensive in the EU, per vehicle about 5,000 USD on average compared to what we can get them for in the US. Loads of Icelanders import Nissan Leaf's in to Iceland from the US, those have no issues with plug and play however.

I'm going to guess that MFM will be useless for you. Your MFM problem is likely a modem incompatibility or lack of a carrier agreement with your local mobile networks. The modem in the TCU uses the AT&T network in the US. Not sure if it's 3G or 4G. The mobile networks there would have to be compatible with the AT&T network here (frequencies and what not). Then there's the issue of the modem being able to use the mobile network there (carrier agreement). I assume AT&T doesn't exist there so your modem may not be authorized to access the local mobile networks even if it is compatible. The way "pairing" MFM on your phone with the car works is that you put the info in the app that talks to fords servers. Then Fords servers communicate with the car over the mobile network so the car can then issue a prompt for you to "ok" completing the process. It can take 24-48 hours to get the prompt in the car. If you're not getting the prompt the your car likely isn't able to communicate with fords servers (no mobile network connection). The car cannot communicate with fords servers any other way.

Sometimes the TCU stops working and needs a "reboot." That probably what you read about pulling fuses. Unhooking the 12V battery and waiting a minute or two before hooking it back up accomplishes the same thing.

Yeah getting that feeling as well, might still try the unhooking the battery and give it one last try, otherwise its just an APP that isn't that great to begin with hehe

triangles said:

He might be in luck if the car has the old TCU (2g): AT&T in the US used GSM for 2g and was compatible with Europe's GSM system (I was surprised when visiting England a while ago that my AT&T GSM phone worked).

Unless, of course, if GSM/2g has been sunsetted over there as well.

jmueller065 said:
He might be in luck if the car has the old TCU (2g): AT&T in the US used GSM for 2g and was compatible with Europe's GSM system (I was surprised when visiting England a while ago that my AT&T GSM phone worked).

Unless, of course, if GSM/2g has been sunsetted over there as well.

They imported a '17. Pretty sure all the '17s came with the newer TCU. I could be wrong though.

Well an update, we have ordered 3 speed charger adapters from China, about 1200 USD each for the 3 cars.

The app will not work, so you guys were correct on the carrier issue, oh well the App was just a toy more than anything, the big deal was finding a solution to the fast charger issue.

Thank you all for your help, it was much appreciated.

Happy Driving!

Back