13C07 "Ignition Door Chime" recall -- What did it fix?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

If you go the the NHTSA site and read about this recall...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...Category=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=13V475000

...it clearly seems to described that the problem is that there is no warning chime when the car is turned ON and then the driver's door is opened.

NHTSA: "In the affected vehicles, there is no audible chime when the vehicle is operational and the driver's door is opened."

Presumably, "vehicle is operational" means "turned ON". The warning chime is required by law because, if the car is still turned on, but the driver opens the door (possibly to get out), the driver may not realize the car is still on (and possibly able to roll away or be stolen).

However, Ford's own recall notice...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM469198/RCRN-13V475-4790.pdf

...seems to be describe the opposite problem. Namely, that there was no warning them when the car is turned OFF and then the driver's door opened.

Ford: "A 'key-in-ignition' warning chime is expected to sound continuously under certain conditions when the vehicle is turned OFF and the driver's door is opened."

My car (supposedly) had recall 13C07 applied about a year ago. There is no chime if the car is turned off (even if was just on) and the driver's door opened. There IS a chime if the car is turned on and the driver's door opened.

Is my car operating correctly? Was the Ford recall notice just a typo? Or, is there (weirdly) supposed to be a chime even when the car is turned OFF?

I think your car is operating properly. I believe that the intent of the recall is to let you know that the car is still on when you exit the vehicle (since its push button start and will stay "on" even if you walk away with the key).
Thus the Ford recall text probably is a typo.

Back