Remanufactured Batteries

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas FFE

Most of us, except for the few that put an extraordinary number of miles on their FFEs, won’t have to worry about paying for battery replacements until after the battery warranties expire. For the older models the warranties won’t start to expire until sometime in 2019. Even though the batteries won’t need to be replaced just because the warranties expire, the batteries will eventually need to be replaced and we should plan for the battery replacements.

Dorman Products provides remanufactured hybrid batteries, http://www.dormanproducts.com/Pages/products/hybrid/index.aspx. The only Ford hybrid they provide remanufactured batteries for is the 2005 to 2009 Escape. The latest model hybrid Dorman Products provides hybrid batteries for is the 2013 Toyota Prius.

Just because Dorman Products doesn’t provide electric vehicle remanufactured batteries they probably will once the warranties of the EV batteries start to expire. Dorman Products offers a 3 year warranty on the remanufactured battery packs. Dorman Products also offers battery upgrades for battery pack remanufacturing so we can expect to upgrade our FFE batteries to at least 30 kWh when we need to replace the battery packs.

I emailed Dorman Products about future electric vehicle battery remanufacturing but they were pretty non-committal. I recommend that we all start contacting Dorman Products and all other known hybrid battery remanufacturing companies and push to them to start providing remanufactured electric vehicle batteries for electric vehicles expired warranties. I also request that anyone that has any knowledge or information on remanufactured or new battery pack replacement please post that information in this thread.

I hope they everyone finds the thread interesting and that this thread becomes an important source of information for the Ford Focus Electric community.

Thank You

Isn't the inside pack the same as the C-Max and Fusion Energi? If that's the case, then you can bet on Dorman making a remanufactured pack. There are more than enough of those Energi's on the road that it makes sense.

The bottom, or outside battery pack has to be different - at least the case is different, so they probably wouldn't make one of those.

EVA said:
Isn't the inside pack the same as the C-Max and Fusion Energi?
Judging simply by the shape and size of them: Nope.

The FFE's upper battery is very rectangular (long side to side and approx square cross-section). The C-Max Energi's battery is very flat--fills the entire hatchback area of the C-Max (no step down like the FFE).

In addition the C-Max Energi's battery is air cooled (Ford even installed a fan back there) and the FFE's has its own cooling system.

jmueller065 said:
EVA said:
Isn't the inside pack the same as the C-Max and Fusion Energi?
Judging simply by the shape and size of them: Nope.

The FFE's upper battery is very rectangular (long side to side and approx square cross-section). The C-Max Energi's battery is very flat--fills the entire hatchback area of the C-Max (no step down like the FFE).

In addition the C-Max Energi's battery is air cooled (Ford even installed a fan back there) and the FFE's has its own cooling system.
Darn - I wish they used the same batteries. Too bad.

Yeah it makes sense they would make those air cooled - not nearly the same amount of work being done by the smaller batteries.

HydroWindAndSolar said:
I realize that I'm reviving an old thread, but here it is 2020 and I still can't find a replacement battery for my FFE. Anyone have updates on this?

I bought a salvage 2013 FFE for $2900 with a good battery. Best of luck with your project.

Back