Recall notice on Ford Focus Electric and Focus ST

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, nice find! Just checked my 2013 FFE (manufactured October 2012). Indeed, there is no amber illumination at the front sides when the headlamps are on. So, looks like the recall applies to me.

However, looking closely at the headlamp assembly side-marker area, I don't think the orange reflector areas are actually intended to illuminate... they appear to only be simple reflectors, with no place for a bulb.

HOWEVER... I suspect that the flaw is actually that what appear to be three surface-mounted LEDs (visible through a small "window" located just above the reflector, at the outer edge of the white LED "eyebrow") somehow were never connected properly and so aren't lighting up as intended.

I betcha. :)

You are right the three LEDs are located at the end of the LED strip above the head lights. These are suppose to be amber in color, and I have never seen them come on.

15440d1375324370-st3-headlight-recall-13c04-image-3094011413.jpg

So... does this mean we should all be getting letters soon to come in for our free headlamp repair?

I haven't had the MFT 3.5 upgrade yet... maybe that next letter will be the reason for me to finally schedule the update, and have the headlamps fixed during the same service.

I checked this morning and my lights don't come on. My local dealer(s) do not sell FFE and I purchased from a dealer about 140 miles distant. I am not going to arrange transport for this level of issue. But, maybe the local dealer can do this as it does not seem FFE specific. I'll call.

markminnc said:
My local dealer(s) do not sell FFE and I purchased from a dealer about 140 miles distant. But, maybe the local dealer can do this as it does not seem FFE specific. I'll call.

Yes, if your dealer sells the ST (which I imagine all do), then you can have your lights fixed.

I brought mine in on Monday, and they did a fine job. I had them raise the alignment on the headlights while they were at it. They are much better now.

I finally got around to connecting the lights myself. It's a pretty easy fix, but you'll be surprised when you see the jumble of wiring inside the headlamp assemblies. The wires just go everywhere with no looming or routing. Connectors floating in mid air and lots of fragile connections. If you look hard, you'll also spot the high/low beam shutter solenoid. You can operate it manually. Make sure no wires are near it.

If you want to tackle the repair yourself, you'll need two wire splices and some way to seal them from moisture. Ford recommends non insulated butt splices and adhesive heat shrink tubing.

Summary of steps:
  • Remove the headlamp assembly. 2 screws and it'll come out.
    Disconnect the headlamp connector.
    Remove the two covers closest to the connector.
    Cut the marker light ground wire from the connector.
    Pull the chopped wire through to the other access hole.
    Find the 2 pin inline connector floating in the assembly. It has one red wire on one side. (It's power for the high/low beam shutter solenoid.)
    Cut the black ground wire on the opposite side.
    Splice the marker light ground wire you cut first to the solenoid ground wire you cut second. This is a three way splice.
    Apply the heat shrink tubing.
    Tuck the wires back into the assembly.
    Make sure they don't interfere with the operation of the high/low beam shutter.
    Replace the access plugs.
    Re-install the headlamp assemblies.

Official Ford splice kit:
Motorcraft WT-56815
3U2Z-14A088-BA

Link to instructions:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1257774/R13C043.pdf

One guy on the ST forums connected his to blink with the turn signal:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/9034-st3-amber-light-recall-upgrade.html

Back