range question for current FFE owners

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackbeasst said:
whew! pushing it to the limits daily. made it home with 2 miles left.

and what that, that brings me to a couple questions:

1- does running the battery that low almost daily hurt it?
2- i know on an ICE that E doesn't really mean empty as far as gas. does 0 miles mean its going to shut down on me or is that the warning and there is still a cushion?
There is some excellent discussion about this on the Fusion Energi & C-Max Energi Forums. If I can get my Torque Pro app to work with the FFE then I'll be able to track cell voltage variations to do similar comparisons. Below are some links.

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1683-obd-ii-data-for-hvb/
http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topi...ns-to-mpge-and-soc-charging-while-powered-on/

Reading the second link there: They report that the Guess-O-Meter and SOC % change a while after turning the car off or when a charge is complete.

I've never seen that kind of jump in SOC or GOM readings in the FFE. For my morning commute, during the summer, I typically use between 20% and 25% of the battery. When I leave in the afternoon to go home the reported SOC of the car still reads the same % as it did in the morning when I arrived.

jmueller065 said:
Reading the second link there: They report that the Guess-O-Meter and SOC % change a while after turning the car off or when a charge is complete.

I've never seen that kind of jump in SOC or GOM readings in the FFE. For my morning commute, during the summer, I typically use between 20% and 25% of the battery. When I leave in the afternoon to go home the reported SOC of the car still reads the same % as it did in the morning when I arrived.
I see a lot of changes when the FFH is off in SOC readings. There is a PDF posted somewhere on the Forums which has lots of info about how Ford engineered the cars. The car determines SOC based on cell voltages. Since cell voltage varies at load versus no load the SOC % displayed while driving is only an approximation. When the car is off and the pack is at rest the computer is able to more accurately calculate the SOC which is then displayed on the next start up. Sometimes in the hybrid I've had the SOC go from near empty to 100% while the car was off, other times it has done almost the exact opposite. Granted, in a hybrid it takes only a minimal change is estimated kWh stored in the pack to result in a big % change, in the FFE it would take a big change in reported kWh stored in the pack to make a noticeable difference in % displayed. The hybrid only lets the SOC get as low as 33% and as high as 65%. This means it only uses 32% of the rated 1.4 kWh capacity or 0.448 kWh. This explains why a slight change is what the car computes for Energy to Empty or kWh remaining in the pack leads to a big swing in the SOC it displays on the dash.
You can find more information about the hybrid here.

Back