Motor Mounts for 2017 FFE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spirilis

My motor mounts are trashed, isolated the front-end clunk down to the motor mounts and I can see the rubber visibly collapsed/hollow in spots (can press on it with my finger) on the passenger-side mount and I can rock the motor easily with a crowbar.

The problem I'm having is finding the parts. The passenger side I can view on some Ford sites and the drawing of the mount looks right - with 3 mounting holes for the motor side, unlike the 2 mounting holes for the gasoline focus.

CM5Z-6038-A is the part# - e.g. https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-bracket-engine-fro_cm5z-6038-a.html

Making things more maddening, though, is this which lists the same part# but with the 2-hole version: https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-engine-mount-cm5z6038a?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9bW90b3ItYW5kLWNvbXBvbmVudHMmbD0zJm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9Zm9yZCZvPWZvY3VzJnk9MjAxNyZ0PWVsZWN0cmljJmU9ZWxlY3RyaWM%3D

The driver side mount, though, looks different and I can't find it in the catalogs. It's hidden under the 12V battery so I might need to pull that out and do some sleuthing to figure out if it's multiple components.

This diagram (the 3rd pic with the parts breakout), in particular #8 (the 3-fingered bracket), looks like the motor-side part of the driver-side mount, which I could see just barely- https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-engine-mount-cm5z6038a?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9bW90b3ItYW5kLWNvbXBvbmVudHMmbD0zJm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9Zm9yZCZvPWZvY3VzJnk9MjAxNyZ0PWVsZWN0cmljJmU9ZWxlY3RyaWM%3D

I guess that #5 piece there might be on our cars, I'll have to look closer at mine. That looks like the "Transmission mount" I see for gasoline Focus's- like https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8115672&cc=3436088&pt=8616&jsn=939

The anti-roll mount I intend to replace but I don't think it's totally bad (I don't get "clunk" accelerating or decelerating), my understanding is they used the same mount for the high-performance Focus- possibly this one- https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6507789&cc=3436090&pt=8756&jsn=1056

Ok I don't know why I didn't just try parts.ford.com, they have more diagrams and stuff-

TL;DR the passenger side engine mount with the 3 bolt holes are here- CM5Z6038A

That part# matches what I bought online from another Ford dealer, it arrives tomorrow, I'll know then if it's the right one.

The "torque strut" mount is a combination of 2 parts-

CM5Z6E042A (bolts to the transmission and has a rubber bushing bolt hole)

and CM5Z6068A (can find many aftermarket options for this one on rockauto for the 2.3L Focus)

The driver-side "transmission extender" mount is: CM5Z6068B

It bolts to a little bracket with 3 bolt holes (7M125 in the diagram) that go into the transmission. The diagram and "Related parts" tab show the other components including bolts & nuts if you need them. This rubber transmission extender or whatever they call it has many aftermarket options for ~$20-30 as it's common to the other Focus models as well, even if the bracket underneath differs between the engine/trans options.

Bolts:
The 3 bolts from the CM5Z6E042A bracket to the transmission: W790276S900

The 1 bolt connecting the CM5Z6E042A bracket to the torque restrictor strut: W500545S900

The 1 bolt attaching the torque restrictor strut to the subframe: W717349S442

The 1 big bolt attaching the (driver's side) transmission's mounting tower to the "transmission extender" housing: W711693S442

Happy to report the motor mount swap went well, wasn't TOO hard although a few bolts were hard to reach and I was using a U-joint and extension with the impact wrench (always a dubious endeavour).

Most of the bad clunking went away. There is still some which puzzles me. I wonder how secure the radiator and/or condenser is, maybe they are "hopping" when hitting bumps.

Might the axles be slightly loose in the hubs or the differential? If the splines have loosened up, that would make a clunk on accelerating or decelerating.

Heima said:
Might the axles be slightly loose in the hubs or the differential? If the splines have loosened up, that would make a clunk on accelerating or decelerating.

Yeah hard to say. It's less about accel/decel though, more going over potholes and bumps (there's a TON of them in the city where I live). The clunking/crashing noise was really obnoxious before swapping the motor mounts, so I suspect it's still something inside the bay shifting around.

I've been getting what sounds like slop in suspension - but then it needed the whole front end rebuilt after the accident and they used "certified used parts"

I had to force them to replace the rack. While it wasn't "broken" it was worn out and had enough play that I could drift the steering one way under acceleration and the other during regen.

Honestly, it was disappointing in general because the steering on it was so pristine as to be noticeable. Like you drove it and would think "wow, this steering is super tight". Now it feels like a worn out car :(

Still not 100% sure what the looseness/clunkyness in the front end is. It got better with new mounts but there's still something there pissing me off.

Thought some might enjoy watching this- https://gopro.com/v/Z0M6k16kwvK74

My new struts definitely make a little creak, but those were Quick-Struts anyhow so I may have to just accept some of that.

In watching the video, it seems that the drive unit is still shaking a little. Were all mounts replaced? And might that which the mount attaches to be problematic?

Heima said:
In watching the video, it seems that the drive unit is still shaking a little. Were all mounts replaced? And might that which the mount attaches to be problematic?

All were replaced. It appears the lower mount (seen in the lower left, a shiny aluminum piece) does still allow a little flex. The subframe cavity where it goes isn't a "tight" fit either- there is some flex room. I assume this is normal.

The old one was dry rotted and cracked, and a video taken from above while driving showed a lot of flex in the motor movement that didn't "bounce back" to center. I can only guess the movement from this vantage point was more severe.

Back