I installed a HomeLink visor in my 2013 FFE in 10 minutes!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scroll back to the directions and videos - the visor is way cheaper than that Gen thing. I can do the job now in 10 minutes. The first time I did it, I took 30 minutes to do the installation. Just order the parts from Tousley. It is a perfect stealth install. All the connectors you need are right there.

What if you want the self dimming mirror with the homelink in it?

Can it be done?

I have Homelink Mirrors in my other cars and that is one of the things that the FFE is missing. Considering the rest of the trim package it seems like a stupid oversight.

That and no blind spot warnings.

Between my Mazda 6 and my mothers Prius and the FFE you would think they would all have some pretty similar tech as they are all 2015's.

My wife 2015 Honda Pilot has some nice features as well but nowhere near as much as the FFE or Prius.

Get a package of band-aids too. In some cases the headliner is glued pretty solidly to the roof, takes some work to get it free and skinned knuckles can result.

But it's well worth doing, glad I have one. If you are really fussy, you can also change the passenger visor to match the new one, but the differences are so subtle nobody is likely to notice.

BigDogInAZ said:
I have Homelink Mirrors in my other cars and that is one of the things that the FFE is missing. Considering the rest of the trim package it seems like a stupid oversight.
It was a conscious decision to save money. The 2012 Focus Electrics came with Homelink, auto dimming rear view mirror & rain sensing wipers. All those features disappeared for 2013 to save money. This change was not just on the FFE but also on gas Focus models.

BigDogInAZ said:
What if you want the self dimming mirror with the homelink in it?

Can it be done?

That and no blind spot warnings.

Between my Mazda 6 and my mothers Prius and the FFE you would think they would all have some pretty similar tech as they are all 2015's.

My wife 2015 Honda Pilot has some nice features as well but nowhere near as much as the FFE or Prius.

Think you might have a lot of trouble finding a Ford mirror that autodims and has Homelink built into it. In the ICE Focus, there is an autodimming mirror, and Homelink is in the sun visor.

Does anyone know if the hidden connection is a standard 12v wire that can be tapped? I have a dashcam mounted on my rear view mirror and would rather wire it to their than to the fuse box. Thanks

The wire beside the driver's side visor is switched 12V. I never had to get into the rear view mirror area, so no idea if there is a connector there.

EVA said:
The wire beside the driver's side visor is switched 12V. I never had to get into the rear view mirror area, so no idea if there is a connector there.

Thanks! Going to try and use that to connect my dashcam.

Astrand1 said:
I went another direction and got a gentex auto dimming mirror with homelink. Installed it looks factory and I solved 3 issues. Keeping my telescoping visor and adding homelink and auto dimming mirror. :) and it was only $165.

Doesn't look like this member is around any more (last visit was in 2014), so has anybody else done this install? I'm curious how best to get power to the mirror, hopefully without having to pull the whole interior / headliner apart.

Thanks,

Keith

FYI the 2015 models have a larger visor which also telescopes out. Much much better than previous year versions. I would recommend upgrading to this unless you absolutely need Homelink.

Has anyone done this on a 2015 model? I removed the clip that holds the visor in place and dug around under the headliner a bit. Didn't feel any wiring harness.

scottt said:
Has anyone done this on a 2015 model? I removed the clip that holds the visor in place and dug around under the headliner a bit. Didn't feel any wiring harness.
The wiring harness isn't under the clip it's under where the visor attaches next to the A pillar. it's the same connector/wire used for the lights on the vanity mirror. Do the 2015's no longer have lights next to the vanity mirrors?

scottt said:
The wiring isn't near the visor clip, it's near the visor hinge.

There are a lot of nice photos at the beginning of this post that show this.

WattsUp said:
scottt said:
The wiring isn't near the visor clip, it's near the visor hinge.

There are a lot of nice photos at the beginning of this post that show this.

The thud you heard was my head hitting the desk.....

Thanks for the reality smack. Helps to read (AND understand) the directions :)

Somebody is selling a Homlink Visor set on ebay right now....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-13-14-Ford-Focus-Sun-Visors-Visor-With-Homelink-Garage-Door-Opener-/221926640564?hash=item33abdbcbb4:g:4TMAAOSw5VFWMm0i&vxp=mtr

Finally got it installed. How did we live without Google searching?

michael said:
Somebody is selling a Homlink Visor set on ebay right now....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-13-14-Ford-Focus-Sun-Visors-Visor-With-Homelink-Garage-Door-Opener-/221926640564?hash=item33abdbcbb4:g:4TMAAOSw5VFWMm0i&vxp=mtr

They are mine now!

Keith

Back