Lease Extension

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdashali

I got my 2014 FFE in March 2015 in San Jose, CA.
It has the carpool sticker that is valid until 2019. I want to know whether there is any such thing as lease extension with Ford. I would rather re-lease the same car for another 2 years instead of getting a different car and hopefully the payment will be cheaper. I have heard Honda let the owners extend their Fit lease but then you cannot buy it anyways.

mdashali said:
I got my 2014 FFE in March 2015 in San Jose, CA.
It has the carpool sticker that is valid until 2019. I want to know whether there is any such thing as lease extension with Ford. I would rather re-lease the same car for another 2 years instead of getting a different car and hopefully the payment will be cheaper. I have heard Honda let the owners extend their Fit lease but then you cannot buy it anyways.

Typically manufacturers will not extend leases beyond a couple of months. Other options are, buy the car at lease end, or just buy / lease a new car when your current lease expires, and get a new carpool sticker; the DMV is not currently limiting the number of stickers it is issuing for Electric Only vehicles, they only limit the number of stickers for plug-in hybrids.

BTW, the deal with the Honda Fit was that the only way you could get one was through a lease, and the lease included maintenance and insurance. You could not buy a Fit Electric. When the leases were coming due, Honda decided to allow current owners to extend their lease if they wanted. If the owner turned the car back in, then that car was offered to somebody else to lease for the same payment. I considered doing this when I was in the market for my car, but decided against it, and instead bought my car outright.

Keith

Assuming you took a three year lease it's over two years until you face this decision. I think it's almost certain that by then the 80 mile class EV will be obsolete. You will be able to get something better.

My hope is that by 2018 we will see 200 mile class BEVs and EREVs with 80 miles electric range as the norm

Back