Is Sync update ever coming?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmen

So it's June now, no way to possibly consider it "early 2013" anymore. And yet still there is no public word from Ford as to when SD cards to update FFE/PHEVs sold with Sync version 3.1.3 to the current 3.5 or possibly the subsequent version.

Do I understand correctly that those few of you with more recent vehicles already loaded with 3.5 are still seeing the Nav system vehicle position inaccuracies, periodic system reboots while driving, occasionally missing favorite station labels, etc, but have more battery system info and control within the vehicle (?setting go-times, setting value charge times)? Maybe it isn't such a big deal that the rest of us are missing out on, but it just seems wrong that a BEV-specific 3.5 has been deemed ready enough to load on new cars, but they can't get around to delivering the the rest of us an update that they implied was coming 6 months ago.

Has anyone heard anything remotely official with a timeline or plan? Should we all just learn to accept what we have because they aren't really planning to ever update any BEV/PHEV's software?

Yes/No: I have 3.5.1 on my FFE (and have had 3.5 on our ICE Focus for well over 6 months now):
- MUCH MUCH fewer reboots
- Faster response from 3.1
- Charge station's not accurately placed on the map
- Occasional preset painting issues (the "missing" presets on the home screen--its just a window painting issue as you can still hit the button and get to the preset)
- I haven't seen any issues with the Nav system placing the vehicle in the wrong place on the map? (With any version 3.1 on two cars, and 3.5 on 3 cars)
- I do have the extra "green" setup screen where I can watch the "electricity flow" and setup the Go times.
- I do have the butterfly screen on the right screen of the dash

Again, has anyone called their dealer to see if they can get the update? It may be a "silent" upgrade? (You may have to have a tech actually try the dealer tool to get to the point of an upgrade to even know if they can upgrade or not.)

I do think the 3.5 software isn't too compatible with MyFordMobile.com though because none of the trips are accurate (and never show the usage rate), for many charges they either don't show up or are incorrectly registered, etc. (Unless of course all of you with 3.1 are also seeing these issues--then is just the website being really buggy!)

jmueller065 said:
- I haven't seen any issues with the Nav system placing the vehicle in the wrong place on the map? (With any version 3.1 on two cars, and 3.5 on 3 cars)

Then you are lucky! Do a quick browse on syncmyride's user forum and see how common this is, and pervasive despite each update. Car on the map appears driving in a river, through a field, etc paralleling the road it is actually on. Takes away the otherwise neat feature displaying the speed limit, and obviously messes with directions if a route is set. Hasn't happened too often to me, but it's there.

- I do have the butterfly screen on the right screen of the dash

We have that in 3.1.3 too. I thought there was a cutesier butterfly thing on the main center touch screen too in 3.5.1... Not so?

Again, has anyone called their dealer to see if they can get the update? It may be a "silent" upgrade? (You may have to have a tech actually try the dealer tool to get to the point of an upgrade to even know if they can upgrade or not.)

Yes. I think most of us who have taken the car in for stop now issues asked our dealers to look for a sync update as long as we were there. None as of late April.

However, today I saw a post from a CMax driver who successfully updated his sync to 3.5. He directed readers to the Ford ETIS site (etis.ford.com) where one can look up service advisories by VIN, and I did, and lo and behold an update is available! Of course the update isn't listed as available on syncmyride's update search feature. Go figure. I called service dept today and he confirmed that it is showing as available. He needs to make sure the same A4 nav card he uses on non-electric cars is the right one, then I can schedule an update.

I do think the 3.5 software isn't too compatible with MyFordMobile.com though because none of the trips are accurate (and never show the usage rate), for many charges they either don't show up or are incorrectly registered, etc. (Unless of course all of you with 3.1 are also seeing these issues--then is just the website being really buggy!)

My ford mobile's trip data is pretty inaccurate for me too. Distance is usually correct, energy efficiency on trips is probably correct but on trend is totally off. many trips and charges don't register, and times of trips and charges are sometimes way off. I'll see if it's any worse with 3.5.1 after the upgrade.

dmen said:
Yes. I think most of us who have taken the car in for stop now issues asked our dealers to look for a sync update as long as we were there. None as of late April.

However, today I saw a post from a CMax driver who successfully updated his sync to 3.5. He directed readers to the Ford ETIS site (etis.ford.com) where one can look up service advisories by VIN, and I did, and lo and behold an update is available! Of course the update isn't listed as available on syncmyride's update search feature. Go figure. I called service dept today and he confirmed that it is showing as available. He needs to make sure the same A4 nav card he uses on non-electric cars is the right one, then I can schedule an update.

Um yeah I meant recently--it is June almost two months since April! (Hint Hint)

It may be a dealer only upgrade for the FFE as the dash module may also require a reflash.

jmueller065 said:
Um yeah I meant recently--it is June almost two months since April! (Hint Hint)

It may be a dealer only upgrade for the FFE as the dash module may also require a reflash.

Late April to beginning of June is one month where I live, but whatever. I guess one is almost two...

Look, Ford Motor Co and their dealers set the expectation that this thing would come out months ago, and that we would be notified immediately on Sync support and by mail. Neither happened. It has nothing to do with whether it's a dealer-only update. It's ready, they should be announcing it. Maybe the postcards are in the mail, but it's pretty annoying that there's nothing on Sync support pages suggests this is a go except for a user's post. It is just lame to supposedly have an online customer service to post when updates are ready, and not keep it... updated! I wouldn't think stalking my local service dept is the best way to discover a software update. Guess I'll have to develop my stalking skills when the next update is announced as "coming soon." Meanwhile, I'm hoping the update/install is a smooth quick process and hoping to see some small improvements. If nothing else, not having to use My Ford Mobile to set go-times will be a welcome feature.

Anyway, yes the dealer has to perform the upgrade. It's more than just switching out the SD card and downloading something onto a jump drive.

Wasn't asking you to stalk the dealer--just trying to subtly hint that I knew it was out already but can't tell you why I knew...I guess I was too subtle! LOL

Back