I'm getting a 240v outlet hooked up at work, YIPPEE ! ! !

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper7821

I work for an international cargo airline on an old Army base and I'm in the middle of the desert with nothing around.
I said "what the hell" and sent an email to the airport manager asking if I buy the parts, can the company's electricians install a 240v outlet so I can plug in my car.
To my surprise 5 minutes later 2 electricians walked into my office and said where do I want to install it.

I'm so far in the middle of the desert that decent food is 21 miles away and I don't have enough juice to take the FFE to lunch and make it home.
We have a restaurant on base but that's another story.

Anyways I bought a nice weatherproof RV power outlet box and 30ft of conduit and connectors and they actually supplied everything else including the labor.

So now all I have to do is bring my (already small and light) Clipper Creek charging station to work and plug it in and have many more miles.
All for only $40 (and a 12 pack)

Some made fun of me that I can't even take my car to lunch and now I'll show them :lol:

So now I think I'll start driving my car like a car. I have a 64 mile round trip commute (42 miles freeway) I was driving to work at 70 with the AC off and home with AC on.
Now I can set the cruise to 80 and blast the AC, it gets well over 100 here in the summer.
I'm a happy camper now.

When the electrician installed my station at work I had him install a 240v 4 pin dryer receptacle and put the same plug onto the charging station just in case so the station could be portable, And now I'm glad I did.

That is very cool! Congratulations.

(When a group of us inquired at our office to put a charger in the response was: "We don't pay for people's gas, why should we pay for your electricity!" sigh)

I came back from lunch and the job is already done and my car is already parked alongside the building and it's charging.
WOW, this is awesome. I didn't think they would let it be done but I'm so glad and thankful that they did.

Our Arrowhead water bill alone here is over $10k a month so I'm sure the electric bill is tens of thousands a month so I'm sure my measly 50 cents or so a day doesn't mean squat.
There's over 100 buildings here and it's well over 100 degrees so every air conditioner is going. Plus all the Boeing and Airbus aircraft that are getting worked on must take massive amounts of electricity.

Maybe someday they'll install thousands of solar panels all over here then we can all park in the shade :D

Jasper7821 said:

Now I can set the cruise to 80 and blast the AC, it gets well over 100 here in the summer.
I'm a happy camper now.

I thought there were so many speed cameras on AZ freeways...

Good to hear your employer is supportive!

AireV said:
Jasper7821 said:

I'm a happy camper now.

I thought there were so many speed cameras on AZ freeways...

Good to hear your employer is supportive!

Speed limit is 75 and they don't ticket for up to 9mph over the speed limit.

I'm very thankful for being allowed to chare at work. Is makes things a lot easier.

Back