I Don't Like Guess-o-Meters.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlufferMew

1231427_10201163353898689_1665815015_n.jpg

I think the Guess-o-Meter system is kind of pointless. It's inaccurate enough that I pretty much never rely on it. The above picture is what my car was saying I had, and that was with a 90% battery. Lol, okay I KNOW that's not right! (if only) What I end up doing more, is looking at how much battery percentage I have left and how much power I'm using. Or just using the Trip Meter. I would much prefer to see that rather than a guestimation of how many miles I can go. I just don't like that guestimation being so prominent when the battery percentage seems more accurate and important.

But that's just my preference. Does anyone else feel this way?

GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out)

Ford should be able to do better than using just recent driving results (from a different driving route) to predict power consumption for future driving.

It IS possible to use Google Earth, to display (and export) an elevation PROFILE, for any trip.

Combined with a simple equation for approximating Watt-hours/mile, as a function of the slope of the road surface, this Google Earth elevation profile can allow an accurate (and realistic) estimate of battery energy remaining, at any point in your trip.

Combine that with the typical mapping-program information about speed limits and distances, add in some information on the driver's past performance (average braking score, acceleration score, heater use, A/C use), and include temperature, wind speed, and wind direction (from a weather program), and you could have a pretty accurate prediction of energy consumption.

I envision a system where the driver would select a route, and the car's computer would download the route data and elevation profile. Then, the driver would be able to see how far they were going to be able to go, along that route, before needing to recharge. If the driver was unsatisfied with the results, they could go through a "driving condition wizard" that would show a series of screens representing the effect of various factors. For instance, the driver could be told that keeping their maximum speed under a certain value and keeping their thermostat at a certain value would allow them to reach a certain charging station, with a certain margin of error.

Ford does a good job estimating how many miles you will get, but if you drive like an idiot meaning fast or stomping on the pedal or brakes blasting the heater with defrosters on and high beams on the computer can't help idiocy. Who gives a crap about linking elevation with google maps The ford my touch for the most part sucks. leave out the showroom dazzle marketing crap and just put in more batteries with the money saved. Everyone who buys the car will benefit from more batteries.

Big D said:
Ford does a good job estimating how many miles you will get, but if you drive like an idiot meaning fast or stomping on the pedal or brakes blasting the heater with defrosters on and high beams on the computer can't help idiocy. Who gives a crap about linking elevation with google maps The ford my touch for the most part sucks. leave out the showroom dazzle marketing crap and just put in more batteries with the money saved. Everyone who buys the car will benefit from more batteries.

If you figure you'll get between 65-85 miles you'll probably be fine. I've forced the issue most times, but in all honesty once it starts to get under 20 Miles, it's time to charge. There are far too many variables that can pretty much screw your guesstimate over like heater, AC, hills, and so on. It's great when you get more miles, it sucks when you get less, but if it says 120 Miles, it's safe to say you probably shouldn't believe it.

Back