How do I achieve maximum Range?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w3artcom

Any tips here on how you get the maximum range, and what is the maximum range you have gotten? Thanks in Advance.
:cool:

I'll offer a couple of suggestions. I've had my FFE for about 4 months now and am getting more than the 76 claimed on the sticker, about 90 or so, but not nearly the range I see others getting. First, driving styles vary for all of us and will affect your range. The regenerative braking system is very important and extends your range significantly. You an easily achieve a 95-100% rate by coasting and slowly braking. Climate controls can also have a big negative affect on range. The worst will be the cabin heater when it's cold outside. Many people use the seat heaters because they draw less energy from the batteries. I was pre-conditioning my car during the winter months, which helps with range, but haven't bothered lately with the milder weather. The air conditioner isn't quite as bad but will still reduce your range. I try to not use either one unless its uncomfortable. In fact, the ambient temperature itself can reduce the range. I believe the optimal temperature is 72 degrees F and anything above or below will negatively affect your range. Highway driving speeds will reduce range because of the wind resistance. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences and knowledge.

Gentle acceleration is another factor. Jack Rabbit starts are fun but take a lot of energy. Personally the distance I drive is seldom a concern saw I drive more like a sports car to get max fun from the electric drive. When people try to set max range values they find a flat road where they can drive a steady 35 mph on mild day. It is possible to go over 100 miles under those conditions.

My top distance traveled is 104 miles traveled with 9 miles remaining. The climate control was switched off. Most of the driving was done at speeds of 35 to 45 MPH. Optimum range seems to be at 30 to 35 mph. Smooth level roads will help improve efficiency. It takes energy to work the suspension. Reducing the number of stops on a trip can improve range. Try drive smoothly. Anticipate stops; use the brakes as little as reasonably possible. Obey all traffic laws.

Great question. There are 2 factors that have the greatest affect on EV range. The biggest by far is speed. Wind resistance increases exponentially with speed so that it is not just double when going from 20 to 40 mph but many times that. A father and son team set a record and drove 420 miles + in a Tesla with a rated range of 265 miles by driving at 17mph. The second factor is climate control but that has much less effect. If you get in trouble, slow down. As has been said already, slow acceleration will help as well.

Two types of range here, the true range, and the 'estimated' range. Some people seem to think the 'estimated' range by the range computer is accurate.

1. Range computer: It's accurate, but makes assumptions for the long term based on the short term. Meaning, if I have 10 miles of range left, but drive downhill for a mile, I might see that I now have 80+ miles reported left. Of course this is only true if I were to continue going downhill at the same rate for the next 80+ miles. This is how I see people getting their 'indicated' range. Easy, fill up at the top of a hill and coast down for a couple miles. Soon you will have 200+ miles showing for range.

2. best True range: Achieved through smooth and slow driving. I have found that best general driving range is achieved at 35mph. Slow starts and stops are key, minimizing changing speed. Personally I tend to be on the non range side since I do about 34 miles of highway per day and at about 70mph. This means the 76 estimated range is not going to happen. I get 60+ range, which is more than adequate. Plus I am on a 15k/mile/year lease, so that only allots me 41 miles/day. I also tend to drive like I want, and not adjust to the car, so I accelerate normal/hard. I seem to consistently get in the mid 60's for range on a full charge.

I love this car. It changes perspectives on everything related to driving. Some examples:

Traffic: oh no! Wait, I get more range when in traffic... Saaaweeeet! Sit back and listen to my favorite podcast through the great stereo/Bluetooth hookup.

Fill-ups/top ups: We are all so used to a gas station on every corner now. Probably nobody who buys this car will remember when that wasn't the case and there was major concern about volatile gas depots on every corner being contemplated! Myself included. Since charging stations especially in the San Francisco Bay area are expanding, I find that if I need extra range during the day I will either park a block or two away from work and walk while my car charges to full (5 minute walk), or go to lunch somewhere I can plug into 240. I tend to see areas I never would have otherwise visited. Bonus!

Maintenance: none. Don't even think about it. It's great, no maintenance, fill-ups, just plug/unplug and go. Look at all the wasted land used for ICE maintenance... reclaim it!

I could go on...

Back