Got my Level 2 EVSE installed today

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unplugged said:
WattsUp said:
As for telling whether or not you were allowed to be in the carpool lane anyway (from the number of people in the car), I dont' know. Unless they have humans look at the photos too.
Since you are from CA, and we don't have such readers, do you know of any state that does? I cannot find ANYTHING about optical readers being used in traffic enforcement from a Google search.
Yeah, I don't know. I know they use cameras on some toll bridges to take license plate photos, but I dont know the details. I was just assuming similar technology could be used to scan cars in the carpool lane.

The plate pictures are to collect money - there's an incentive to get that technology working right. In Illinois, open toll collection has reduced traffic jams a lot. Part of that driving by at 80MPH (yes the speed limit is 55, but almost everybody drives 70) and still collect the toll wasn't transponders, but getting the license plate number. If somebody doesn't have a transponder, the picture allows them to issue a ticket and collect the toll. It also allows them to bill rental car companies and get lots of money.

Car pool lanes - not so much money involved. There has to be some form of detriment to people driving there that don't belong. Police do that - sort of like driving on the shoulder - why doesn't everybody drive on the shoulder during traffic jams? Because there is a significant risk of a ticket.

On the other hand, there are places where you can pay to use the car pool lane - so license plate reading would make sense.

EVA said:
The plate pictures are to collect money - there's an incentive to get that technology working right. In Illinois, open toll collection has reduced traffic jams a lot. Part of that driving by at 80MPH (yes the speed limit is 55, but almost everybody drives 70) and still collect the toll wasn't transponders, but getting the license plate number. If somebody doesn't have a transponder, the picture allows them to issue a ticket and collect the toll. It also allows them to bill rental car companies and get lots of money.

Car pool lanes - not so much money involved. There has to be some form of detriment to people driving there that don't belong. Police do that - sort of like driving on the shoulder - why doesn't everybody drive on the shoulder during traffic jams? Because there is a significant risk of a ticket.

On the other hand, there are places where you can pay to use the car pool lane - so license plate reading would make sense.
In Miami and here in Atlanta on 85 they charge you to use the carpool lanes. Depending on time of day and how much traffic there is will determine how much you pay at any given time.

EVA said:
MN also has carpool lanes which solo drivers can use if they pay. They use transponders much like toll roads. The cops can be driving near a vehicle in the carpool lane and determine if its transponder is a) turned on or off & b) if the driver paid. Someone with a transponder in their car would turn it "off" when they have multiple ppl in the car and don't need to pay. But, some ppl try to be sneaky & turn theirs off when passing the toll collection area and then they turn it back on in case a cop is there. That's why the cops are able to look up the person's payment history to see if they've paid. The State Troopers write tons of tickets here for ppl cheating in the carpool lanes.

Back