Ford Focus Electric Safety Issue

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstubbs007

Hi All...

... please add me to the "Stop Safely Now" club - it's an ironic message because there nothing safe about the way it happens, either.

2700 miles into a 2013 FFE - no major problems other than the "12v accessory battery dead car issue" which was replaced about a month ago by the dealer.
Last Sunday was a whole new experience with my beloved FFE...driving with the wife and it gave the dreaded warning beep and SSN message and I made a surprise emergency rolling stop into the middle of an intersection.. hit the thottle and it was dead. Only way I found to work around it was to try to power cycle the car...eventually I found you *sometimes* can take your foot off the brake, hit Start (to shut off) then open and close the door - which fooled the car into thinking it should power down. This happened to me 5 more times on the same day (I have video of the last 3x)

I just think how this would have gone down on the LA 110 freeway carpool lane at 80 MPH - for those that know the section called FASTRACK, there is really no turn out lane for emergencies.

Car is "Stopped Safely Now" at the dealers (i'm in a rental) and unless there is a guarantee in writing from Ford this won't happen again (which no one would dare do due to the obvious liability if it does) I'll be looking into alternatives.

So sad, I pretty much fell in love with this car...it is the best looking one of the bunch and I really enjoyed the drive.

submitted to NHTSA this AM...I'll be #8

This is just one of many incidents that are taking place where the Ford Focus Electric is concerned.
Our car has the same problem just shutdown in traffic with no indication of trouble other than a message that states
Stop Safely Now. Once the car shuts off it would not restart until several attempts had been made over the course of 10 minutes leaving us stranded in traffic.

Back