Ford Focus Electric Fuel Math Question?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NextGenDriver

I know this is probably a simple math problem but I am terrible at math and do not want to botch the results. I noticed that the Ford Focus EV has an estimated cost of $0.96 cents per every 25 miles driven as far as energy/fuel costs are concerned (as a sidenote they say this averages out to about $600 per year for a normal driver). My question is this. How many years would you have to drive the Ford Focus Electric before you start saving money over a traditional gas car with similar compact features. The way gas prices are going it would seem that you could re-coup your money pretty quick. This is one math problem I was hoping someone on the ford focus electric forum could make more sense of and actually apply a realistic approach and numbers to the math scenario.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=32278

Assumptions:
Starting Gas cost: $4.10/gallon
Miles per year: 15000
MPG of comparision car: 32mpg
cost of oil change: $0
Cost of Ford Focus EV: 33490
Cost of Ford Focus : 26525 (went with similar spec to EV)
cost of KWH: $0.10
Change in gas price per year: +$0.60

So working out linear increases in gas prices and assuming no oil change costs. It is about 3.5 years to make up the difference.
Code:
year 3, week 26, weekcost $55.99, consumption $8514.68
        electric weekcost $ 8.24, consumption $1508.24
                  savings $47.75, total save  $7006.44

That is just amazinz, and thanks for doing the math. It's not to often that a person can buy something like the Focus Electric; and have it pay for itself in just a few short years.

I think their are some people who think it must be to good to be true. They need a slap; it's not and its here now! Thanks for the insight.

The vigilant spouse sent me a link this AM that will help answer your question about total cost of ownership, as well as the CO2 footprint of the FFE vs a variety of other low-emission cars:

http://iee.ucsb.edu/CleanCarCalculator/

This is a well thought out online calculator, developed by a graduate team at the Bren School of Environmental Science and Management. You can use it to compare the "Ford Focus BEV FWD" to a score of other fuel efficient vehicles. I could list all the factors it takes into account, but it's much easier if you just go there and look for yourself.

[One comment: the CO2 footprint parameters for the Tesla Model S appears to be broken in that it always 'wins' the CO2 ranking. But aside from that nit, it's a very impressive bit of work.]

- ff

Back