First data point from the drive home from the dealer:

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studio460

I was being super-careful, driving with ridiculous care, at speeds which would make your grandma mad. I just didn't want to get in any fender benders on the way home with a brand new car. Plus, my GF was following me and doesn't like to drive on the freeway, so I was driving mostly unfamiliar surface streets. I'll likely not get anywhere near these numbers in my "normal" commute. These are the energy coach screens after I got home and parked for a while:

State-of-charge at dealer: 76 miles.
Dealer to home: approx. 35 miles (70% streets @ 25-40MPH/30% freeway @ 55MPH); screens are at end of the commute:

energy1.jpg

energy2.jpg

When I plugged the 120V EVSE (electrician never came today) into the car after I got home, two sections of the blue LEDs were lit around the charging port. I plugged in the 120V EVSE sometime about 10PM. I just unplugged it about 5AM, so it was charging for about 7 hours to reach "100%."

Yes, I'm aware of braking efficiency (this is L.A.). If I continued to drive maintaining those numbers, 98/+2/100, in the manner in which I was driving, what do you think the real-world range would've been from this point?

studio460 said:
If I continued to drive maintaining those numbers, 98/+2/100, in the manner in which I was driving, what do you think the real-world range would've been from this point?
What percent did the battery show? The easiest way is to check the % on the screen and then take your predicted range (100) and divide by the percent. Or, just wait until the car charges and see what it predicts on a full charge. It city driving you can probably get 120+ miles. The highest range estimate I've seen on a full charge is 116. The lowest I've seen is about 90. My wife typically sees a range estimate 20% lower than mine due to her driving style. I would highly recommend using the key personalization feature of MFM to get personalized range estimates based on who is driving.

Thanks! Of course, I'm still just figuring out how to customize/use the screens. I'll give that a shot. I was just surprised by the liberal gauge readings at the end of 35 miles of heavy traffic, and a large incline/decline (only braked "inefficiently" once on the decline, and only because some a--hole cut in front of me, across two lanes to make a right turn).

studio460 said:
hybridbear said:
What percent did the battery show?
I don't know. I guess I didn't have that screen selected?
When you open up the power settings screen it shows the HVB percent. This is not the absolute SOC but rather the percent of the useable portion of the battery.

I hate when ppl do stupid things like that. Wanting to maximize my brake scores has helped me become more aware of the idiots around me, though, so that I can better anticipate idiots like that. In 27,000 miles in the Fusion Hybrid we had a Lifetime Brake Score of 99%. So far in 3000 miles in the Focus and 1000 miles in the Fusion Energi both cars show a Lifetime Brake Score of 99%.

hybridbear said:
In 27,000 miles in the Fusion Hybrid we had a Lifetime Brake Score of 99%. So far in 3000 miles in the Focus and 1000 miles in the Fusion Energi both cars show a Lifetime Brake Score of 99%.
Impressive! Yeah, and of course I try to never touch the brakes on my ICE vehicles either, with gas prices they way they are here in California (plus, I have to use premium for the V8).

LOL and here I am responding to another of your threads with another blog post (about the dash):
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/09/25/butterflies-really-what-your-dashboard-can-tell-you/

(I've grouped all my "tips & tricks" blog posts on the top right of my blog. You may want to peruse them when you have the time..)

Thanks, JM! Very informative! The enhanced trip meter seems to be the most helpful. I'm very familiar with Watt-hour ratings, since these are the same ratings we use to gauge our camera batteries at work (we use $1,000, 190 Watt-hour Li-ion batteries for our cameras).

Ease into the brakes a little more smoothly. You'll end up with 100% almost all the time. That's the best game in the world to play with this car. It ends up making you a smoother driver - passengers will love you for it.

110V is very slow. If you get the battery down to about 20 or 25 miles of range left, you'll probably not make it to 100% by the next day.

Yeah, that braking score came partly from the run down through the Sepulveda pass--it's very windy with a fairly steep decline. I tried "engine-braking" as much as possible, but still had to brake at times (plus, all the Ventura Blvd. lane-cutters prior).

EVA said:
110V is very slow. If you get the battery down to about 20 or 25 miles of range left, you'll probably not make it to 100% by the next day.
Yes, I know. My electrician never showed up last weekend. I'll be alternating with my ICE vehicle until next weekend.

Back