Just returned my FFE after 43K miles

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evsarethefuture

Hey there, so I haven't really been active on this board, just a long time lurker, and I thought that I'd share my three year experience with the community. Just about a week ago, I returned my FFE with 43K miles clocked on the odometer. Overall, I can say that I was somewhat satisfied with the FFE, but still think that Ford has a lot of work to do if they want to stay in the EV market. After having put on 43K miles on the vehicle, I can most certainly say that the FFE does have its share of issues. Throughout the three years that I've owned the car, I've had to replace three 12 V batteries, experienced two SSN warnings, and have had the center console screen completely freeze up to a point where the dealer had to reset it. While none of these issues were major, they were still quite irritating. Another issue I've had with the car is the tire slipping on wet pavement. Basically, whenever I tried to accelerate from a complete stop on wet pavement, the tires would have serious issues trying to grip the pavement. Worst part is that I live in SoCal, where the weather is usually pretty tame. Also, over the three years that I've owned that car, I believe that I've lost about 3 ~ 4 kWh of capacity. My commute is constant at just about 30 miles round trip everyday. When the car was new, during summertime, I'd usually get home with about 70% of power left. However, three years later, during summer, Ive witnessed that percentage slowly decrease. By the end of my lease, I'd come home with around 50% of power or less. However, the car wasn't all bad, as I did enjoy driving it and thought that is was a pretty fun car to drive. Here's a list of things that I believe Ford needs to do in order to stay in the EV market.
-Fix the many issues plaguing the FFE.
-Increase the FFE's range to at least 200 miles in order to compete with the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla Model 3
-Add a DC quick charge port to the FFE
-Install public EV chargers at Ford dealers for FFE drivers to use

Overall here's how I'd rate the car:
Reliability/Dependability: 3/10
Fun to drive: 8/10
Handling: 6/10
Technical: 6/10
Comfort: 8/10
Overall: 6.5/10

thanks for telling us your experience!

The 2017 model will give the DC, though it's only going to have the 100mi range. It will be out in December.
I doubt they'll ever get the FFE to 200mi without a dedicated design instead of the retrofit it currently is.
My local Ford dealers have the J1772 but I think it's only the dealers that are registered to sell the EV's

What did you move on to?

Great description of your three year experience. It appears that the major negative is the annoying failures related to it being electric. I also live in Southern California. In my opinion the FFE is perfect for the mild climate. It rarely rains enough for the tire traction to be a big issue and the climate controls are not affecting the battery life as much. I have 6000 miles on my 6 month old FFE and no problems to report so far.

Wait till you have 40 or 50K miles on the car...you will see the same kind of battery fade that the original poster described and that I experienced as well.

The FFE is a pretty good car but with 80 (now 100) mile range, it is obso

It is a major negative that battery fades to that extend that make this car probably only good up to 50k miles. The other
components are probably rated for 100k+ miles

A bigger capacity battery pack would cycle less and fade less quickly obviously

I'd say I'd be willing to pay for a battery upgrade once I get to 50k miles but I think it would be in the 7000$ range (assuming 33kwh and 200$/kwh)

fbitz777 said:
It is a major negative that battery fades to that extend that make this car probably only good up to 50k miles. The other
components are probably rated for 100k+ miles

A bigger capacity battery pack would cycle less and fade less quickly obviously

I'd say I'd be willing to pay for a battery upgrade once I get to 50k miles but I think it would be in the 7000$ range (assuming 33kwh and 200$/kwh)

You are exactly correct! If they would provide an easy means to use the upcoming 100 mile 2017 as an 80 mile car except when more range is needed, it would be a big positive step. Cycle the battery between perhaps 80% and 20% SOC it would last much better. Tesla and other do this, Ford should too (actually, all the manufacturers should!)

Evsarethefuture said:
Another issue I've had with the car is the tire slipping on wet pavement. Basically, whenever I tried to accelerate from a complete stop on wet pavement, the tires would have serious issues trying to grip the pavement. Worst part is that I live in SoCal, where the weather is usually pretty tame. Also, over the three years that I've owned that car, I believe that I've lost about 3 ~ 4 kWh of capacity. My commute is constant at just about 30 miles round trip everyday. When the car was new, during summertime, I'd usually get home with about 70% of power left. However, three years later, during summer, Ive witnessed that percentage slowly decrease. By the end of my lease, I'd come home with around 50% of power or less.

The slipping tires have as much to do with the low roll resistant tires that are used. You can put on better gripping tires at a cost of some efficacy. It is something worth considering if in a winter climate.

That seems to be significant battery lose. I am in the last couple months of my 3 year lease and have not noticed much lose at all. In best conditions my guess-o-meter will tell me I have close to 100 miles, which has been pretty consistent since I have had the car. I did not install a level 2 at home so do more than 50% of my charging on level 1. I also have 15 mile commute so may go a couple of days between charging (I rarely charge when I have over 50% unless I know I am going to need it the next day). My 12 volt has been fine and never had a SSN. I am at only 23K miles so have had significately less charge cycles (a bit of a guess but probably less than 400)

Reliability/Dependability: 8/10 (only knock on it is the few trips I could not make due to range)
Fun to drive: 8/10
Handling: 8/10 (love the cornering at speed; Turn radius is pretty large for a small car)
Technical: 7/10 (Good 3 years ago; poor now)
Comfort: 8/10
Overall: 7.75/10

Back