FFE Service

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamroud

Hi all, Now I have my FFE 2017 for 3 months and it is running without any issues. As EV is totally new to me from service point of view, I have the following questions:
1. Do I need to take the car for service?
2. Are services mandatory or optional?
3. How often we should take the car for service?
4. If the service is necessary, what will be done to the car during the service?
Thanks

Look in the back of the owner's manual in the maintenance section.

On my 2013 all Ford recommended was a tire rotation annually and a coolant flush at some point.

There's very little maintenance.

IIRC the coolant is supposed to be changed at 10 year intervals but a dealer has to do that as there are valves that create several different coolant loops. The ford service computer can open them and run the pumps such that the system is drained and when refilled purge all air bubbles that might cause a problem. I'll probably just drain and fill the radiator every 5 years. If the dealer's price for a coolant flush is too expensive.

You still have suspension and brakes that will need periodic maintenance just like a gas car. Although with regen it should extend the life of the brakes significantly. I'm not sure how often it should be replaced but brake fluid is hydroscopic and will need to be periodically flushed and replaced with fresh fluid.

The gear box has Mercon LV ATF fluid in it. Ford says this is a lifetime fluid but should probably be eventually replaced after many years of service and many miles. Tesla has their gear oil replaced after 10k or 12k miles to get all the break in shavings out of the gear box. I may do the same with my FFE but I'm already at 16k miles.

Beyond that all I'm aware of is just wipers, windshield washer fluid, and tire rotation.

I don't remember where maybe it was etis.ford.com but ford does have a site somewhere you can put your car info in and it will generate a maintenance schedule.

Expect to start getting flyers from your selling dealer telling you that you need to bring your car in for service, and including coupons for discounted oil changes, transmission services, etc. I've had my car a bit over 29,000 miles. I'm on the original wiper blades and all fluids. I either rotate the tires myself, or have my local tire dealer do it for me (they can do it in about 30 minutes for free, whereas the dealer will likely want the car for 1/2 day and charge me some outrageous amount). The only time my car has been back to the dealer is for recalls, and when the 12v battery went bad.

Keith

campfamily said:
Expect to start getting flyers from your selling dealer telling you that you need to bring your car in for service, and including coupons for discounted oil changes, transmission services, etc. I've had my car a bit over 29,000 miles. I'm on the original wiper blades and all fluids. I either rotate the tires myself, or have my local tire dealer do it for me (they can do it in about 30 minutes for free, whereas the dealer will likely want the car for 1/2 day and charge me some outrageous amount). The only time my car has been back to the dealer is for recalls, and when the 12v battery went bad.

Keith
I had my dealer rotate my FFE tires: Cost me $10 and took about 30-45 minutes.

Back