Coolant pump noises when charging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went over 2,000 miles recently and the outside temp is above 60F for the first time since getting the car.

I went to the garage with about 30 minutes left on a full charge after only 10 miles in the tank when I plugged it in. I'm hearing noises I've never heard before. The low hum of a coolant pump and the sounds of air/bubbles being pumped through the coolant pump. I can also see some motion of the coolant in the recovery tank. I've located the pump and I'm not really that concerned, it's just a new experience. I can feel warmth through the hoses so the cooling system is definitely doing something while charging.

I'm using the 240V HCS-40 from Clipper Creek.

It's very cool to know that the cooling system is working to keep the battery temperature moderated to prolong battery life. I wonder just how warm the batteries in a non-liquid cooled battery car would get, and how much battery life would be lost because of that?

Those noises are probably normal. It does seem weird to hear the car talking to you like that.

I guess your question about temperature management - maybe just look at all the noise in the Leaf community about battery capacity problems. I haven't read anybody over in this forum ever talk about actual reduced capacity of the battery (tons of theoretical discussions, but nobody saying my battery lost 5% of capacity). There are some people that have had their cars a pretty long time and put a lot of miles on the car.

Has anyone else heard the sounds I'm describing? Are the sounds of air/bubbles being pumped normal? You can't hear that kind of stuff with an ICE/ maybe the water pump on an ICE makes the same kind of noises?

I haven't heard sounds exactly like you describe. At air temps between about 20 and 80 F, charging my FFE is pretty silent. At temps below 20, there's a kind of low volume whine. At temps over 80 or so, it makes a hum sort of sound I think (it's been 6 months since I've experiences those temps so memory's not perfect), so maybe that's what you're describing? I just didn't think it sounded like bubbles necessarily.
I'd say if your car is charging normally and driving normally, I wouldn't worry much.

It's just the coolant pumps running. My car makes the exact same noises when it's warming or cooling while charging.

sefs said:
It's just the coolant pumps running. My car makes the exact same noises when it's warming or cooling while charging.
Ok this is great to know. Temps here in Atlanta just got up to 95 and never heard the fan come on when charging until today. Thought it was weird but know that it's on do to heat to help keep it cool if a relief.

Snowball 14 said:
sefs said:
Ok this is great to know. Temps here in Atlanta just got up to 95 and never heard the fan come on when charging until today. Thought it was weird but know that it's on do to heat to help keep it cool if a relief.

My garage gets warm too, and makes the same gurgling and fan noises.

mcowger said:
Snowball 14 said:
sefs said:

My garage gets warm too, and makes the same gurgling and fan noises.
Does anyone's blue light work while charging on a 240v charger cause for some reason mine does not. It starts off going through all four stages then the car and my charger both makes a clicking sound and the light goes off. It's still showing as charging and give me a full charge but just thought this was some cause for concern.

Snowball 14 said:
Does anyone's blue light work while charging on a 240v charger cause for some reason mine does not. It starts off going through all four stages then the car and my charger both makes a clicking sound and the light goes off. It's still showing as charging and give me a full charge but just thought this was some cause for concern.

You can adjust the light ring ibehavior setting of your car on the main console screen by going to the little gear icon.

Yeah, customize the light ring. I think it's cool to have it lit up when charging, except I have windows in my garage door facing the street. The light from the ring and the EVSE make the whole garage fairly well lit, and it's pretty visible at night. So, I turned it off for mine. I don't need certain neighbors to be drawn to the light and look around my garage at night.

Abelgoddard said:
Yeah, customize the light ring. I think it's cool to have it lit up when charging, except I have windows in my garage door facing the street. The light from the ring and the EVSE make the whole garage fairly well lit, and it's pretty visible at night. So, I turned it off for mine. I don't need certain neighbors to be drawn to the light and look around my garage at night.
Yeah same here.

Cooling system sounds are perfectly normal. They kick in when the battery temperature reaches about 98 F and as far as I have seen seem to keep the battery from exceeding that temperature.

Many of us (myself included) have worried about battery degradation, but so far as I have seen, nobody has reported enough to be detected. I think it's fair to believe that some degradation must be occurring, but it's extremely small compared to what Leaf owners are experiencing. In their case, the effect is very obvious.

Back