Help with coolant fill and bleed after battery replacement

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoprocket

I recently got my 2018 FFE battery replaced under warranty. Despite me asking the dealership specifically to fill and bleed the coolant system, I'm now pretty convinced they didn't. The other day when charging cold it was making some pretty ugly buzzing noises which I suspect may be the battery loop pump running dry. I used this ForScan procedure to try to get the bubbles out and I heard a bunch of air bubbles, but it didn't seem to do much. I tried to use a vacuum fill and bleed device on the overflow tank but I couldn't pull a consistent vacuum on the system. I just opened up a coolant line between the bypass valve and the radiator near the top of the motor and it was bone dry. The funny thing is that the overflow is full. How do I actually get coolant into this thing?

I ran the procedure again, this time with the pumps around 25% and with all the valves starting at 0 degrees. I then moved each valve back and forth throughout its entire range a number of times. I could see bubbles entering the expansion/degas tank every once in a while and when I moved the valves I could hear the bubbles moving around. After a few minutes of flowing and playing with the valves the bubble noise went away and it was mostly quiet. It didn't need any more coolant, so must not have been empty after all. Still doesn't explain the strange buzzing noise I heard. Do the thee battery heaters make a buzzing noise when on?

I ran the procedure again, this time with the pumps around 25% and with all the valves starting at 0 degrees. I then moved each valve back and forth throughout its entire range a number of times. I could see bubbles entering the expansion/degas tank every once in a while and when I moved the valves I could hear the bubbles moving around. After a few minutes of flowing and playing with the valves the bubble noise went away and it was mostly quiet. It didn't need any more coolant, so must not have been empty after all. Still doesn't explain the strange buzzing noise I heard. Do the thee battery heaters make a buzzing noise when on?
No, they don't.

Sometimes, bubbles can get caught in strange locations in the coolant hoses, and when that air bubble gets to the pump, it makes a rattling noise, like swirling BBs in a can.

And those vacuum refill tools are either great or total pieces of crap. I guess you get what you pay for.

Back